The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Mark, never tried Garagiste. How's your experience there?

You know, it's growing on me. It's email based rather than a website. He also has a pretty specific point of view (organic farming and such). That said, I've pulled the trigger on three different wines that looked pretty good. Haven't received any shipments yet, but got several things on the way.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Yes, on cellartracker a lot. Probably several times on any given day, particularly when it's list buying or shipping time. Highly recommend CT.

Agree too with Gome and a good negociant/importer.

Still waiting on my Burg list...

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Still waiting on my Burg list...

bitch I'm busy at the moment, you will have to wait your turn

4. Piobaire

bitch I'm busy at the moment, you will have to wait your turn

Should have known that's how you would play me. Give me this tantilizing idea then ignore me.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Should have known that's how you would play me. Give me this tantilizing idea then ignore me.

Here, Manton and I enjoyed her 2002 Pommard 1er back in winter.

Disappointed with the exclusion of the attractive female on the label, though.

6. Piobaire

Here, Manton and I enjoyed her 2002 Pommard 1er back in winter.

Disappointed with the exclusion of the attractive female on the label, though.

Thanks, will put in my order. As you know, I'm willing to try Burgs, just not willing to randomly try them by the bottle. Hope to be tasting some glasses at the Somm class soon.

7. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

[​IMG]

Used half this bottle for my white wine sauce tonight, i drank about 2-3 sips, gave my brother the rest to finish...

Tasted heavily of grape fruit + white peach... I hate grape fruits...

Oh well $10 bottle I got on sale for like $2 something, it was very good in the pasta dish though.

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

You know, it's growing on me. It's email based rather than a website. He also has a pretty specific point of view (organic farming and such). That said, I've pulled the trigger on three different wines that looked pretty good. Haven't received any shipments yet, but got several things on the way.

Jon Rimmerman, the owner of Garagiste, has a gift for writing about wine that is ver similar to Kermit Lynch. Specifically, he can make every wine sound like you need to be drinking it right now, and you need to buy it by the truckload. He's often correct, but be careful. Also, the service at Garagiste can be very, very spotty. I was a customer back when they first started and eventually gave up in frustration after ordering wines, waiting months, then finding out I was never going to get them.

9. Piobaire

HALP! Altogether, seven cases arrived today. Cellar is packed to bursting and I still have about 50 bottles pending.

I might actually have to put some of my "drink now" and "drink young" wines in cases for a few weeks until I can make room.

10. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

HALP! Altogether, seven cases arrived today. Cellar is packed to bursting and I still have about 50 bottles pending.

I might actually have to put some of my "drink now" and "drink young" wines in cases for a few weeks until I can make room.

what do you do for a living again?

11. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

Just got two cases of Loring, including a case of 1/2 bottles, for those nights when I want just a little more. My Sea Smoke, which is about a case, isn't coming until December. Expecting another delivery today, two case of Stefania.

Just got the email on the $1 bottle shipping from Zachy's. Will be putting together a case this weekend.

Oh, I forgot and did not record in my pending that I have two, two packs of Lewelling, 07. Did you see the WS and RP scores? 98 and 95.

WS and RP "scores" mean next to nothing and are very misleading. I recall when this magazine began publishing and began this score nonsense. Look at the price of a wine because that's the only score you need. Before wines are even bottled buyers and other experts have tasted them and pretty much determined the quality which corresponds to the price. If a Latour for example didn't fair as well as a Lafite the chateua owner will lower the price when it's ready to be bottled and sold.
    Scores only mislead the amateur or novice because they rarely understand that aside from the score itself being subjective it is also only a score within a class of wine. A Beaujolais that gets a 95 isn't better than a Mouton that "only" got a 92.
    btw, I knew Don in the 70's and just thought you may find it amusing about the prices back then. I bought some cases of Petrus and these were the prices.:The 1970 a top year sold for $35 a bottle and the 1971 a very good year was $20. Chambertin Clos de Beze 1971 was $10. The most expensive wines were La Tache, Romanee Conti, Richbourg etc The Romanee Conti which you can't even get today and if you can will sell for over $2000 a bottle, back then it was a VERY expensive wine at about $50-60

12. Piobaire

WS and RP "scores" mean next to nothing and are very misleading. I recall when this magazine began publishing and began this score nonsense. Look at the price of a wine because that's the only score you need. Before wines are even bottled buyers and other experts have tasted them and pretty much determined the quality which corresponds to the price. If a Latour for example didn't fair as well as a Lafite the chateua owner will lower the price when it's ready to be bottled and sold. Scores only mislead the amateur or novice because they rarely understand that aside from the score itself being subjective it is also only a score within a class of wine. A Beaujolais that gets a 95 isn't better than a Mouton that "only" got a 92. btw, I knew Don in the 70's and just thought you may find it amusing about the prices back then. I bought some cases of Petrus and these were the prices.:The 1970 a top year sold for $35 a bottle and the 1971 a very good year was $20. Chambertin Clos de Beze 1971 was $10. The most expensive wines were La Tache, Romanee Conti, Richbourg etc The Romanee Conti which you can't even get today and if you can will sell for over $2000 a bottle, back then it was a VERY expensive wine at about $50-60
    IMO, you are exceedingly wrong. However, each to his own. However, you nailed me! I am certainly a complete wine novice, so I am indeed easily fooled by these fancy numbers and things. Thanks for setting me straight. Oh yes, a 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch for dinner. Paul's wines are exceedingly drinkable and pretty much all "drink young."

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Fruit forward but no bomb. Lovely after a hard day.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Two nights ago was a Barbera and a Langhe Arneis at the pasta restaurant in Eataly

This was last night, eaten with ravioli purchased at Eataly:
    [​IMG]

And tonight will be this with some Thai:
    [​IMG]

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

today we had eye-tal wines. there was a valpolicella and a barbera d'alba, but [​IMG] something wrong with my saliva. i think i have some kind of sinus infection. everything tastes extremely salty.

[​IMG]

i had to spit the wines out after one taste (although the barbera i held as long as i could). one of the ones almost made me want to throw up.

[​IMG]

i'm so sad. was looking forward to this week. stupid saliva