The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It's a great resource. It's one of the suggested readings by the Court. It just makes yer brane hurt sumtimes.

is now on my to buy list. almost done with the bible anyways

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Am reading the Sotheby's and the Encyclopedia. Working my way through a bunch of stuff.

Btw, the Booker 08 Ripper was incredible tonight. Went with dinner so well. The maker is sending me a six pack even though he is officially sold out [​IMG]

3. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

Here are the Wine Spectator and Robert Parker comments on this wine: Wine Spectator (from 2008): CHÂTEAU PICHON-LONGUEVILLE-BARON Pauillac 1988 Score: 94 Release Price: $40 Current Auction Price: $141 Country: France Region: Bordeaux Issue: Web Only - 2009 Dark brick-red color, with a garnet edge. Aromas of dark chocolate, meat and currant. Full-bodied, with a solid core of ripe fruit and round tannins. Goes on and on. Very balanced, with a beautiful mouthfeel. Long life ahead. This has always been a serious wine.—'88/'98 Bordeaux blind retrospective (2008). Drink now. 14,000 cases made. –JS Robert Parker/Wine Advocate (from 1993): 1988 Pichon-Longueville Baron Pichon-Longueville Baron A Bordeaux Blend Dry Red Table wine from Pauillac, Bordeaux, France Score: 90 The 1988 Pichon-Baron promises to be one of the half-dozen superstars of the Medoc in that vintage. While it may not rival the 1989, its significantly lower price makes it a wine that should appeal to those who want an excellent bargain in a great Pauillac from a good vintage. Surprisingly large-scaled for a 1988, it is deep in color, rich, tannic, and medium to full-bodied. When mature, it may resemble the successful 1966 (similar texture, weight, and character). Anticipated maturity: 1995-2008. Last tasted, 5/93.
    Oh, and at the risk of sounding even more a moron, is this a wine to be enjoyed with a meal or by itself? Would a veal based dish be okay or am I completely in the wrong ballpark? I'm guessing that since it's an older wine having it with dinner would overpower it so we should drink it either before or after?

4. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

Oh, and at the risk of sounding even more a moron, is this a wine to be enjoyed with a meal or by itself? Would a veal based dish be okay or am I completely in the wrong ballpark?

I'm guessing that since it's an older wine having it with dinner would overpower it so we should drink it either before or after?

While there are no hard and fast rules, a good rule of thumb for a complex wine like a mature bordeaux is to pair it with a simple meat like roast beef or roast leg of lamb. I wouldn't serve a sauce with the meat. As for your other question, I'd probably have a glass before dinner and the rest with food.

you might want to decant the wine if there's a lot of sediment. I'm guessing you don't have great storage for the wine, I'd try to have the wine soon.

enjoy!

ps If I received a gift like that I'd share it with the gift giver over dinner.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

tonight was the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings and a special extra Champs offering at Le Bernardin [​IMG]

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I was recently given a bottle of 2008 Indigene Cuvee from Peter Michael Winery. Supposed to be a really great bottle. NICE!

7. Will C.

Will C. Senior member

been enjoying some Chilean wines lately, specifically Don Melchor at the moment.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

[​IMG]

I'm not a big restaurant picture taker, but I did take this one from last night. Pasta in a sea urchin sauce topped with caviar. Damn it was good. As was everything else.

There were plenty of awesome wines. I don't recall the details of most, but they included plenty of Champagne, a sherry, Domain Wachau riesling 2006, a Greek white, a Boillot premier cru Meursault 2007, a cru Beaujolais from Morgon, a German Pinot Noir, a sake, and a Ch. la Rame St. Croix from 1999. I may have missed one, either way it was a tremendous culinary and wine victory.

9. Piobaire

tonight was the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings and a special extra Champs offering at Le Bernardin [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noice!

been enjoying some Chilean wines lately, specifically Don Melchor at the moment.

I've enjoyed a couple of the 05 Concho y Toro. However, it seems pricing is starting to reflect recent praise.

10. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

A nice Syrah I saw featured on In Wine Country show. Great nose, lovely back end, but heartless in the middle. Enjoyable with the fine food, nonetheless. The glass of Symington's 40 year old tawny port was sublime. [​IMG] Gorgeous decor and tin ceiling. The usual bucket of 8 outstanding Champagnes is missing for some reason. [​IMG]

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Throwing a housewarming party in a few weeks and was thinking that sparkling wine would be the best option for booze.

Looking for something affordable, probably $10 - $20 / bottle, that I can get a few cases of. Was thinking Prosecco but would be open to a different geography. Tend to like sparklers that are zippy and crisp. Any thoughts?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

freixenet cava is pretty cheap, widely available, and not too terrible.

i had the mumm cuvee m recently. it's mmm simplistic, but i liked the fruit. lots of deep rich white stone fruits. wish it had a little more acidity tho. i guess you could drink it a little colder than usual. $12-$16 at your local store.

i've also heard good things about mumm's more pricier options

you can also look for some fingerlakes sparkling for something out of the ordinary. dr konstatin frank and lamoreaux landing are pretty good.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

This cava is quite good is you can find it. $15 a bottle.

14. Piobaire

I'm really enjoying this 07 Hanna, Estate Grown Chard. Had it with a nice, hearty salad.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I have always been a casual wine drinker, but am interested in brushing up my knowledge. Any books or other resources recommended people here?