• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Delivery today. Four 08 Claypool PN and two 09 Claypool rose.

K-dub, I'll always think of you when drinking Claypool.
inlove.gif

Damn bro that is some romantic ****. Seriously though, every time the topic comes up, I can't help but remember how much atmosphere affects your tastes. That night in the Healdsburg restaurant, that bottle was absolutely incredible. Layered, complex, paired well with food, balanced, etc. The two times I've tasted it since? It was good, but nothing like that night in any way whatsoever.

BTW, tonight I met John Duval. For those who are interested, he was the head winemaker at Penfolds from 1986 until 2002. Nicest dude imaginable, and very cool/funny too. [/vox]

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
BTW, tonight I met John Duval. For those who are interested, he was the head winemaker at Penfolds from 1986 until 2002. Nicest dude imaginable, and very cool/funny too. [/vox]

Nobody here is impressed with my voxosity? **** you all!
angry.gif

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1381.jpg
Tonight with rib steaks, home fries, and some other stuff while watching the LSU game.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
IMG_1381.jpg
Tonight with rib steaks, home fries, and some other stuff while watching the LSU game.

Ridge is fantastic. I had a great time at their winery. In fact, I had one of the shots I took there printed and framed. It was very slow, one other couple there (who were complete douches) and she let me walk to the back of barrel room to take this shot:

IMG_0481.jpg

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too love Ridge. In fact Montebello is by far the largest holding in my cellar. Is that picture from the Lytton Springs winery or is it the Montebello winery?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is that at Lytton Springs or Montebello?

I get them confused. The one in Sonoma.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I get them confused. The one in Sonoma.
That's Lytton Springs. Both wineries are fun to visit, but they are very different experiences. It's hard to believe that not too long ago, all the wines were made at the Montebello winery. All those zin grapes trucked to Cupertino and up Montebello road. Amazing.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
These will be for this weekend when family is in town for Thanksgiving. The Margaux was purchased about 18 years ago by my father so here's hoping it's still good. Plan is to decant it.

DSC00019.jpg

Sad the say the Margaux was a bust. Brown in colour as soon as I opened it but the smell was nice. Taste was very bland and had no body. After 30 minutes it smelled awful.
facepalm.gif

The other two were excellent.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad the say the Margaux was a bust. Brown in colour as soon as I opened it but the smell was nice. Taste was very bland and had no body. After 30 minutes it smelled awful.
facepalm.gif

I'm sorry to hear this but it's a pretty common assumption that all bordeaux is meant to be aged. In fact there is only a very small proportion of wines designed to cellar. The bottles of d'Angludet that I have tried have never been older than five years and they were ok. Buy some recent bottles - I think the 2007 is pretty cheap to see what it should taste like.

Happy Cdn Thanksgiving, though, and I'm glad the other bottles were good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's Lytton Springs. Both wineries are fun to visit, but they are very different experiences. It's hard to believe that not too long ago, all the wines were made at the Montebello winery. All those zin grapes trucked to Cupertino and up Montebello road. Amazing.

Everywhere surrounding that winery are these fields of gnarly old Zin vines. I got a great pic of this very bonzai looking one. Super high res, can see the dew drops hanging from the grass blades.

In this vein, had an 07 Turley Juvenile last night
smile.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
101010a.jpg
101010b.jpg
101010c.jpg
101010d.jpg
101010e.jpg
101010f.jpg

Ecluse -- perfumed Cabernet. Different and quite unique.
Edge -- Napa blend. Marketing wine. Plain awful. Way too much alcohol.
Tandem -- excellent Pinot. Three hour decant showed a lovely funkiness. Really like this wine.
Petite Rousse -- lovely Syrah. Lots of character and complexity. With or without food, very good.
Artesa -- a superb, inexpensive Merlot. Quality fruit and very well made. The best this weekend.
Hess -- our standard $30 Cab. Lovely from the Allomi vineyard.

Bonus shot. Girl's scratch chocolate pumpkin cheesecake squares. Awesome.

101010g.jpg

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, we actually got a bottle of that Atessa as a gift and it was great!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

how/where was it stored?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
how/where was it stored?

In a cellar with a regulated temperature. I looked around online and people had similar problems, it wasn't just my bottle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads