The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Delivery today. Four 08 Claypool PN and two 09 Claypool rose.

K-dub, I'll always think of you when drinking Claypool. [​IMG]

Damn bro that is some romantic shit. Seriously though, every time the topic comes up, I can't help but remember how much atmosphere affects your tastes. That night in the Healdsburg restaurant, that bottle was absolutely incredible. Layered, complex, paired well with food, balanced, etc. The two times I've tasted it since? It was good, but nothing like that night in any way whatsoever.

BTW, tonight I met John Duval. For those who are interested, he was the head winemaker at Penfolds from 1986 until 2002. Nicest dude imaginable, and very cool/funny too. [/vox]

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

BTW, tonight I met John Duval. For those who are interested, he was the head winemaker at Penfolds from 1986 until 2002. Nicest dude imaginable, and very cool/funny too. [/vox]

Nobody here is impressed with my voxosity? Fuck you all! [​IMG]

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

[​IMG]Tonight with rib steaks, home fries, and some other stuff while watching the LSU game.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]Tonight with rib steaks, home fries, and some other stuff while watching the LSU game.

Ridge is fantastic. I had a great time at their winery. In fact, I had one of the shots I took there printed and framed. It was very slow, one other couple there (who were complete douches) and she let me walk to the back of barrel room to take this shot:

[​IMG]

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I too love Ridge. In fact Montebello is by far the largest holding in my cellar. Is that picture from the Lytton Springs winery or is it the Montebello winery?

6. Piobaire

Is that at Lytton Springs or Montebello?

I get them confused. The one in Sonoma.

7. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I get them confused. The one in Sonoma.
    That's Lytton Springs. Both wineries are fun to visit, but they are very different experiences. It's hard to believe that not too long ago, all the wines were made at the Montebello winery. All those zin grapes trucked to Cupertino and up Montebello road. Amazing.

8. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

These will be for this weekend when family is in town for Thanksgiving. The Margaux was purchased about 18 years ago by my father so here's hoping it's still good. Plan is to decant it.

[​IMG]

Sad the say the Margaux was a bust. Brown in colour as soon as I opened it but the smell was nice. Taste was very bland and had no body. After 30 minutes it smelled awful. [​IMG]

The other two were excellent.

9. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Sad the say the Margaux was a bust. Brown in colour as soon as I opened it but the smell was nice. Taste was very bland and had no body. After 30 minutes it smelled awful. [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear this but it's a pretty common assumption that all bordeaux is meant to be aged. In fact there is only a very small proportion of wines designed to cellar. The bottles of d'Angludet that I have tried have never been older than five years and they were ok. Buy some recent bottles - I think the 2007 is pretty cheap to see what it should taste like.

Happy Cdn Thanksgiving, though, and I'm glad the other bottles were good.

10. Piobaire

That's Lytton Springs. Both wineries are fun to visit, but they are very different experiences. It's hard to believe that not too long ago, all the wines were made at the Montebello winery. All those zin grapes trucked to Cupertino and up Montebello road. Amazing.

Everywhere surrounding that winery are these fields of gnarly old Zin vines. I got a great pic of this very bonzai looking one. Super high res, can see the dew drops hanging from the grass blades.

In this vein, had an 07 Turley Juvenile last night [​IMG]

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ecluse -- perfumed Cabernet. Different and quite unique.
    Edge -- Napa blend. Marketing wine. Plain awful. Way too much alcohol.
    Tandem -- excellent Pinot. Three hour decant showed a lovely funkiness. Really like this wine.
    Petite Rousse -- lovely Syrah. Lots of character and complexity. With or without food, very good.
    Artesa -- a superb, inexpensive Merlot. Quality fruit and very well made. The best this weekend.
    Hess -- our standard $30 Cab. Lovely from the Allomi vineyard.

Bonus shot. Girl's scratch chocolate pumpkin cheesecake squares. Awesome.

[​IMG]

12. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Funny, we actually got a bottle of that Atessa as a gift and it was great!

13. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Some wine damage from a recent trip to Provence. Thanks for all the great vineyard/wine recs [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

how/where was it stored?

15. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

how/where was it stored?

In a cellar with a regulated temperature. I looked around online and people had similar problems, it wasn't just my bottle.