The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Most of the wine shown/discussed/debated here is fairly pedestrian in the first place. The highlights of the thread are usually the $18 wines that drink like $50 wines.
    Ah yes, the wonders of QPR. I do wish, however, that more posts had a general price listed with the wine -- this thread is a fast mover, and investigating which wines both sound good/ get kudos and are within my budget at the time is sometimes tedious, where if it is right there, I can literally copy and paste it to my 'shopping list' for my next run.
    Hunts --> I think you will be sure to add to this thread.
    Thanks, Pio, I'll try. ~ H

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Am I that bitter?

No, I'm just padding my post count.

By the way, vinophiles, I am slowly beginning a heated courtship with Tokaji. It is beautiful stuff.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

By the way, vinophiles, I am slowly beginning a heated courtship with Tokaji. It is beautiful stuff.

I've only had a Northern Eye-tal equivalent- interesting enough.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I've had several bottles, K. I think the best I had was five putyones (did I spell that right?) and it was about 10 years old. Yeah, it's very nice stuff.

5. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

These will be for this weekend when family is in town for Thanksgiving. The Margaux was purchased about 18 years ago by my father so here's hoping it's still good. Plan is to decant it.

[​IMG]

Do you always look at soppy impressionist paintings while drinking? I hope you are not a sad drunk.

P.S. I hope opening the bottle is part of the plan, too.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

These will be for this weekend when family is in town for Thanksgiving. The Margaux was purchased about 18 years ago by my father so here's hoping it's still good. Plan is to decant it. [​IMG]
    I wouldnt decant the Margaux for long at all. Considering it's age it will oxidize much faster when exposed to the air, as opposed to the CdP which you should decant 1.5-2 hours. All you need to do with the Margaux is stand the bottle upright for about 15 minutes so all of the sediment falls to the bottom, pop, and pour into a carafe with a candle under the neck (if you dont have a filter) to watch the sediment creep up as you pour.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I bought a bottle of this several years ago, but have never had an occassion to open it, so I still have it. It's a 2000 vintage, I think.

I've had several bottles, K. I think the best I had was five putyones (did I spell that right?) and it was about 10 years old. Yeah, it's very nice stuff.

This is what I have, Royal Takajii 5 Putyones.

Good stuff, huh?

8. Piobaire

I bought a bottle of this several years ago, but have never had an occassion to open it, so I still have it. It's a 2000 vintage, I think.

This is what I have, Royal Takajii 5 Putyones.

Good stuff, huh?

Yes, very good. Sweet but not cloying and does not have the acid bite you can get in a vidal icewine or similar. It's a very light, nice thing to sip. I first tried it sitting at the bar of one of my hang outs.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

5 Puttonyos is the highest quality that I've had as well. From what little I know about Tokaji, a puttonyo is a 25kg basket that they use to harvest grapes. Wine is supposedly fermented in batches of 7 puttonyos, and the number of puttonyos listed on the bottle refers to how many puttonyos in that batch were affected by botrytis. So 7 would mean 100% of the grapes had botrytis, 1 would mean very few of them were affected. Kind of cool.

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Yes, very good. Sweet but not cloying and does not have the acid bite you can get in a vidal icewine or similar. It's a very light, nice thing to sip. I first tried it sitting at the bar of one of my hang outs.

Speaking of which, I popped a bottle I had of Lustau East India Solara (2001) at home the other night. Had not tried it before and didn't know what to expect. I'm not a huge Sherry guy, but have been trying stuff out over the past several months from time to time.

Really good. Was more familiar with the drier sherries. This one was much darker and more like some of the Aussie muscats I've had (from an aroma, flavor perspective) but was less sticky in texture. Quite good. Had a very similar prune, raisin, fig flavor profile as a muscat or a tawny port, but with a bit more sleekness to it (from the alcohol, I think).

Anyway, it was quite good. I think I can find more use for this style of Sherry than some of the drier ones I've tried before.

11. Piobaire

Mark, have you tried a Pedro Xminez yet? I have a few bottles of a 1979 Grand Reservera PX and it's incredible.

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Opened a bottle of the Coudoulet de Beaucastel. Love this wine. Really yummy. Good QPR for a $28 wine.

[​IMG]

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Do you think the Pape will really need that long to fully open up? I never decant newer wines.

Decant the younguns. Allow me, friend, to come over and deep six the sediment in the Margaux. You'll be glad I showed. All I ask is a glass to test. Thx.

[​IMG]

Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving.

14. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Thanks for all the tips, folks.

15. Piobaire

Delivery today. Four 08 Claypool PN and two 09 Claypool rose.

K-dub, I'll always think of you when drinking Claypool. [​IMG]