The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

This was a youngin'. Just released. Dramatic bouquet upon opening. Drinks almost Chianti-light right now but still lovely for being so young. Should age very well.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've had their Langhe a bunch of times, it's nice.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I've had their Langhe a bunch of times, it's nice.

yeah-- I have a few splits of the '01.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem.

[​IMG]

I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer [​IMG]

5. ama

ama Senior member

Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem.

[​IMG]

I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer [​IMG]

That is awesome. [​IMG]

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the birth year of a handful of senior members, what a find!

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

the birth year of a handful of senior members, what a find!

[​IMG]

Kyle- is that the $12k bottle at Trotter's?

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

yes.
    Thanks -- most of the wine I drink is fairly pedestrian, though. I find it easier to drop $40-$100 on a bottle of spirits which I'll have for months to years, than on a bottle of wine which is gone in a few hours. And most of the good stuff, like my Sauternes, I just horde and don't drink because I am crazy.
    Yesterday was my day off, but I thought it would put in a few good vibes for me if I volunteered to help the sommelier with inventory of the cellar. During my work, I found a nice little gem. I made the offer that if he and I opened it and split it, I would volunteer to not get paid for the hours I worked that day. He declined my offer [​IMG]
    Shi....I mean, that...is it actually...holy...I mean, to see something like...shit. shit shit shit. ~ H

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Thanks -- most of the wine I drink is fairly pedestrian, though. I find it easier to drop $40-$100 on a bottle of spirits which I'll have for months to years, than on a bottle of wine which is gone in a few hours. And most of the good stuff, like my Sauternes, I just horde and don't drink because I am crazy.

Most of the wine shown/discussed/debated here is fairly pedestrian in the first place. The highlights of the thread are usually the $18 wines that drink like $50 wines.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

K --> That is incredible.

Hunts --> I think you will be sure to add to this thread.

Okay, I know you guys have heard this before, but here goes:

I will buy no more wine between now and NY except for the occasional < $20 random bottle I need because I don't have any of that varietal left. I actually turned down two allocations Monday, the second Scarecrow bottling and Loring's new Chards and Cab. S's. Just as I was about to order, I noticed Cellar Tracker indicated I had well over 100 bottles pending between now and Xmas so I've pulled the plug.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

K --> That is incredible.

Hunts --> I think you will be sure to add to this thread.

Okay, I know you guys have heard this before, but here goes:

I will buy no more wine between now and NY except for the occasional < $20 random bottle I need because I don't have any of that varietal left. I actually turned down two allocations Monday, the second Scarecrow bottling and Loring's new Chards and Cab. S's. Just as I was about to order, I noticed Cellar Tracker indicated I had well over 100 bottles pending between now and Xmas so I've pulled the plug.

Taking bets. Over/under on 24 hours? PM me only if laying down big bills. [​IMG]

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

does &quot;I don't have any of that varietal left&quot; include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

13. Piobaire

Taking bets. Over/under on 24 hours? PM me only if laying down big bills. [​IMG]

Lulz. Maybe I should get in on that action?

Just got an email from K&L Wines with a big DuMol sale. I deleted that mo-fo!

14. ama

ama Senior member

does "I don't have any of that varietal left" include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

[​IMG]

15. Piobaire

does "I don't have any of that varietal left" include nebbiolo, sangeovese, trebbiano, barbera, dolcetto, vermentino, montepulciano, corvina, nero d'avola, moscato, arneis, negroamaro, aglianico, sagrantino, tocai friulano, or verdicchio?

Edina size phail!

750ml $10.80 1 2008 Conti di Buscareto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (Italy, Marche, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi) set...
    750ml $19.00 2 2005 Demarie Roero (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero) set...
    750ml $43.14 1 2003 Mauro Molino Barolo Vigna Gallinotto (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) 2010-2020 IWC91, CT88
    750ml $29.80 2 2005 Parusso Barolo 35ªANNATA Bussian, LeCoste, Mosconi (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo) 2010-2017 CT89.5
    750ml $36.25 2 2004 Pertinace Barbaresco Vigneto Marcarini (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco) 2010-2016 CT89
    750ml $22.80 2 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari (Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico) 2008-2012 CT89.3

Hah! I have some eye-tie juice.