The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Last night had a 2007 Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon. Website says it's 47% Mendocino County, 37% Lake County, 16% Napa County.

Not sure if this is considered a decent California wine or not, it was $23 dollars up here.

At first taste it has harsh and bland, did not enjoy it at all. Opened up quite a bit after an hour or two, to the point I would consider it pretty decent, slightly above average.

i liked this quite a bit. decent qpr after good decant

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Tonight, for Gome: 2006 Fattoria del Cerro Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.

Last night, an Oregon Pinot, from the Carter vineyard. Can't remember the maker. Also, Penner-Ash Shea Vineyard, and a flight of three German Rieslings.

Edit: Oh, bought another case of mixed ME today. Six RRVs and then two each of Flax, Klopp and ME Estates.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Last night, an Oregon Pinot, from the Carter vineyard. Can't remember the maker. Also, Penner-Ash Shea Vineyard, and a flight of three German Rieslings.

Edit: Oh, bought another case of mixed ME today. Six RRVs and then two each of Flax, Klopp and ME Estates.

another one????

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

continue...

Tonight was an ok Morellino di Scansano.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

another one????
    Dude, you should have seen when he came to Cali to visit Matt and I (he can say it was for the wine vacation but Matt and I know the truth). He left with a fucking Benz full of wine.

6. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

A divine wine.

At my mom's 80th last night at George.

[​IMG]

7. audiophilia

Last night had a 2007 Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon. Website says it's 47% Mendocino County, 37% Lake County, 16% Napa County.

Not sure if this is considered a decent California wine or not, it was $23 dollars up here.

At first taste it has harsh and bland, did not enjoy it at all. Opened up quite a bit after an hour or two, to the point I would consider it pretty decent, slightly above average.

I found this wine unleashed the oak monster. Very unpleasant for my taste. Interestingly, the Hess Allomi Vineyard Cab is a favourite of ours.

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

continue... Tonight was an ok Morellino di Scansano.
    Last night was great vintage tunina, followed by a great morellino di scansano.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

another one????
    Dude, you should have seen when he came to Cali to visit Matt and I (he can say it was for the wine vacation but Matt and I know the truth). He left with a fucking Benz full of wine.
    I came just to see you guys. [​IMG] The dozen or so cases I brought home were just gravy [​IMG]
    A divine wine. At my mom's 80th last night at George. [​IMG]
    That is a great wine, audio. Oh, Scarecrow. They are selling the second wine for $125 a bottle in two packs. I can log on tomorrow and see if I get any.

10. audiophilia

Thx, Pio. We really enjoyed it. The layers and complexity and flavours were amazing. Certainly, the top Pinot I've tasted in my four years drinking wine.

11. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Had some pretty nice cheapo wines over the weekend.

2008 Hamilton-Stevens RRV Pinot and DCV Zin both $8.99 at my local Trader Joe's
    Both were actually quite tasty and had sufficiant structure and complexity with typical fruit profiles. The Pinot had nice spice notes and smooth tannins and the Zin displayed some nice dried blackfruit flavours and silky tannins. And being on a tight budget again it's nice to find some drinkable juice for under a Ten-er.

The other bottle I had was a 2009 Innovacion Malbec/Tempranillo bland out of Maipu Valley Mendoza that was $9.99 for a liter at Wholefoods. Again not supper cerebral but still structured and with some fruit and spice complexity and went great with grilled Argentinian Shortribs and sausage.

12. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

A divine wine.

At my mom's 80th last night at George.

[​IMG]

What year was this audio? I bought 2 bottles of their 2008 Sonoma Coast Pinot when they were released last spring, but have them safely sleeping in my wine locker. Hadn't really planned on cracking one open for another year or two.

LOVE their Chards. Have never tried one of the Pinot's although I have friends that have loved them.

EDIT: NVM. Didn't notice you put the year in the post title. Ha.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I should spend more time in this thread. Saturday, Mollydooker's The Violinist Verdhelo, which I really enjoy ($25). ~ H

14. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

2006 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon - just meh but not quite as in-your-face as most Napa cabs. Restrained but boring, I guess.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I should spend more time in this thread.

~ H

yes.