Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

2006 Keefer Ranch Russian River Pinot Noir. Brought to a lunch in Napa a couple of months ago by a friend who owns a wineshop in Mill Valley. It didn't get opened that day, but I finally got around to it tonight. It's very good, tastes like actual pinot noir. Behold!

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Local place got some really great white burg for $23/bottle. Major spend tomorrow.

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Just went out for a quick tasting. Man, drinking Reisling from a winery that has been in the same family since 1462 is outrageous.

Marketing, it's a hell of a drug.

4. Homme

Homme Senior member

Thought I would led people know about an iPhone app I found the other day that's hands-down the best tool for keeping track of wine impressions (assuming you do so outside of this thread).

It's called Taste A Wine and it's a free download from a French company, though the app is in both English and French.

It's basic functionality is similar to other wine apps: you can snap a photo of the label, give it a score, note the price and where it was bought, jot notes, etc. Where it shines is:

- option of adding audio commentary
    - gps integration so you know where you drank your bottle
    - twitter and facebook integration to share your reviews
    - a 'simple mode' for critiques which consists of selecting the wine's attributes on sliding scales, e.g. Freshness and acidity can be given a rating of flabby, soft, zesty, balanced, crisp, green, or tart. There is also a list of several thousands of flavour notes which can be searched by family or alphabetically. This takes much of the work out of writing down impressions
    - a built-in database of over 1.4 million wines which allows you to easily record the millÃ[​IMG]sime, region, and cuvÃ[​IMG]e and find them later
    - integration with the taste a wine website which archives your reviews and allows you to search those of others, or follow other members whose tastes you appreciate

It's really slick. And did I mention it's free?

Thank you for this.

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Friday night champagne damage. My head hurts.

[​IMG]

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Friday night champagne damage. My head hurts.

[​IMG]

Well have some Champagne why don't you? Was there a particular occasion/event to celebrate?

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had another bottle of this last night: 2008 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Riesling Kabinett feinherb. It's a single vineyard and this is the winery that's been family owned for nearly 600 years. So crisp, the acid and minerality are just sparkling.

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Last night:
    2005 Col D'Ocria Olmaia but pretty disappointed, especially after having the 2004. This didnt measure up in any way, shape, or form. The nose was weak, on the pallate mediocre at best, and the finish was mediocre at best. [​IMG]

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Had another bottle of this last night: 2008 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Riesling Kabinett feinherb. It's a single vineyard and this is the winery that's been family owned for nearly 600 years. So crisp, the acid and minerality are just sparkling.

only germans can specify a wine with "feinherb", omg

10. Piobaire

only germans can specify a wine with "feinherb", omg

The German guy that runs the shop where I buy this does go on about balance, etc. of this wine has. All part of the family running the vineyard for over 500 years, etc. Maybe feinherb is to German wine what terrior is to French?

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well have some Champagne why don't you? Was there a particular occasion/event to celebrate?

Just being me. [​IMG]

Mumm was the best of the bunch.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Maybe feinherb is to German wine what terrior is to French?

no, not at all. it describes the flavor. it's pure bullshit for wine. feinherb means something like, not sweet, slightly acerbic. nvm

no doubt, that the wine is nice. 84/1000 in the current gault-millau statistics.

13. Piobaire

no, not at all. it describes the flavor. it's pure bullshit for wine. feinherb means something like, not sweet, slightly acerbic. nvm no doubt, that the wine is nice. 84/1000 in the current gault-millau statistics.
    I know it applied to the flavour. I thought it was some, can't quite translate to English, concept concerning balance and fitness of the flavour components? Which is why I compared it to the French terrior, another can't quite translate concept.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I know it applied to the flavour. I thought it was some, can't quite translate to English, concept concerning balance and fitness of the flavour components? Which is why I compared it to the French terrior, another can't quite translate concept.

as i said some german bs...

15. Piobaire

Just for gomey. Took a break on Friday afternoon to go to a quick, in store tasting. Tried this, liked it, bought a bottle: 2008 Conti di Buscareto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi. Crisp, some floral notes, got a little pencil lead.