The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Whoa. Some evidence shows that TCA can be traced back to new oak barrels.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Too many of them taste like fertilizer rather than dirt. You should move onto Bergerac and Irouleguy. I need an advanced scout for those as well. Also, if you are lucky they will put a little hair on your chest.

I have disliked every single one of these I have ever had. Granted, that's a sample size of maybe 12.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have disliked every single one of these I have ever had. Granted, that's a sample size of maybe 12.
    It's awful stuff.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I believe I read once that TCA can also reside and infect the basic piping used in wineries - and that it can basically require a winery to replace most of its equipment.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

You should move onto Bergerac and Irouleguy. I need an advanced scout for those as well.

It's awful stuff.

Try a BÃ[​IMG]lingard Bergerac rosÃ[​IMG] with smoked seafood...but not as your first bottle of the evening.

Rinse well afterwards.

- B

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I believe I read once that TCA can also reside and infect the basic piping used in wineries - and that it can basically require a winery to replace most of its equipment.

I toured a winery in Indiana this summer ( [​IMG] I know, know and yes the "wine" was awful but I had no choice... ) and they actually discussed this. They had problems and spent a decent fortune retooling some things and changing their cleaning processes.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I toured a winery in Indiana this summer ( [​IMG] I know, know and yes the "wine" was awful but I had no choice... ) and they actually discussed this. They had problems and spent a decent fortune retooling some things and changing their cleaning processes.

I have visited many wineries in Indiana. They are all pretty bad. The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap, half the time derived from fruit that isn't grapes, and sell it to the tasteless pricks that live around here.

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

[​IMG]

I hope I don't get leg hairs in the must.

If you ever visit or work a crush, you'll realize leg hairs are way down the list of nasty things that make it into the press. Mice, lizards, snakes, tools, all kinds of nastiness gets in there. I guess there are worse ways to die, eh?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap

yep, it's the same for a lot of the producers in the Finger Lakes. A shame, but every so often you get a fantastic winery with awesome offerings (Herman J. Weimer is my personal favorite, but also big props to Dr. Konstantin Frank).

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Chateau Montelena had this problem in the last ten years or so. I personally never found any systematic problem with their wines, but they went public with it and let all their customers know they were working on eradicating it.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I have visited many wineries in Indiana. They are all pretty bad. The main problem, at least at most of them, is that they can only make what they're going to sell, so they end up making this sickly sweet nasty crap, half the time derived from fruit that isn't grapes, and sell it to the tasteless pricks that live around here.

Seriously. Take Oliver Winery, apparently one of the largest-volume sellers in the midwest. It's an extensive operation. The vineyards look great. But everything tasted as if it was from syrup concentrate.

They are actually investing in those big fans to keep the frost off the vines. During the tour (it was a small private affair), I said, that's great, but what do you do about the 4 straight weeks of 105 degrees with 20 inches of rain. [​IMG]

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If you ever visit or work a crush, you'll realize leg hairs are way down the list of nasty things that make it into the press. Mice, lizards, snakes, tools, all kinds of nastiness gets in there. I guess there are worse ways to die, eh?

Thank god for fermentation, eh?

13. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Thank god for fermentation, eh?
    Amen.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

2007 Hallopière Vin de Pays du Val de Loire with a salad for dinner.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

VC Champs and burgers