The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but the woman has given me the responsibility of choosing new wine glasses. I'm content with the Riedel Vinum for our needs. We also simply don't have the need to get anything beyond generic white and generic red glasses. Can you recommend which type of red and white glasses would work well as all-purpose glasses for each? We tend not to drink a lot of really bold reds, and we really don't drink much white at all. Any help would be appreciated.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but the woman has given me the responsibility for choosing new wine glasses. I'm content with the Riedel Vinum for our needs. We simply don't have the need to get anything beyond generic white and generic red glasses. Can you recommend which type of red and white glasses would work well as all-purpose glasses for each? We tend not to drink a lot of really bold reds, and we really don't drink much white at all. Any help would be appreciated.
    I think somebody tested all of this and found that the best glass for red and white is the Shiraz glass.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but the woman has given me the responsibility for choosing new wine glasses. I'm content with the Riedel Vinum for our needs. We simply don't have the need to get anything beyond generic white and generic red glasses. Can you recommend which type of red and white glasses would work well as all-purpose glasses for each? We tend not to drink a lot of really bold reds, and we really don't drink much white at all. Any help would be appreciated.

alternatively, I'd just do something like this from Schott Zwiesel. They are very resistant to cracks, breaks, chips, etc.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Ow. Old man is old.

Wine was good.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Ow. Old man is old.

Wine was good.

You'll be getting no sympathy around here old man. Pleasure has it's price you know.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I think somebody tested all of this and found that the best glass for red and white is the Shiraz glass.

alternatively, I'd just do something like this from Schott Zwiesel. They are very resistant to cracks, breaks, chips, etc.

Thanks, guys. That's quite helpful.

7. Piobaire

You'll be getting no sympathy around here old man. Pleasure has it's price you know.

Don't post philosophic things this morning. Read them makes my head hurt.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Don't post philosophic things this morning. Read them makes my head hurt.

[​IMG]

9. Piobaire

That's just rude, brah.

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

What an absolutely gorgeous night in Dallas this evening. After a few days of rain, the summer heat broke and we had an amazing early fall evening. Temps in the mid-80's with clear skies. It was so idyllic that I had no choice...I had to grill.

Had a bit of ground buffalo for burgers and a couple of chicken breasts that I needed to do something with. But what wine? A few weeks ago I picked up a couple of bottles of some relatively inexpensive ($20ish), "drink now" Bordeaux. 2003 Merrain Rouge (Medoc). Seemed like a good choice for tonight.

[​IMG]

Didn't take detailed notes, but this is a solid value Bordeaux. Perfect for its purpose. It won't challenge you, but it's also really tasty. Would buy again.

Poor technique on the chicken, but it only affected the aesthetics. Tasted really good.
    [​IMG]

This time of year in North Texas almost makes the 110+ weather in July worth it.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yay Bordeaux night. A random $12 Margaux for me tonight. Great value wine, need more.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What type of wine would you guys recommend to go with traditional Polish food? I did a woman I know a favor and she offered to cook me some traditional Polish dishes since I've never really had a Polish "dinner"

13. Piobaire

Tonight should be another major bottle, due to the fact we're headed out for anniversary, and the cellar has been a WS Grand Award since the early 90s.

Tomorrow, dinner at home, duck leg confit, magnum of 01 ME.

Mark, looked great.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

What type of wine would you guys recommend to go with traditional Polish food? I did a woman I know a favor and she offered to cook me some traditional Polish dishes since I've never really had a Polish "dinner"

having had a many polish dinners, I'd do a non-California white of sorts. Maybe a Chablis. 90% of the time, however, we drink beer and vodka.

15. Piobaire

having had a many polish dinners, I'd do a non-California white of sorts. Maybe a Chablis. 90% of the time, however, we drink beer and vodka.

I was thinking about that. Given the chance of greasy and doughy components, I was thinking along this line too. Maybe a real, crisp Riesling?