The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

In my observations, French pinot noir isn't necessarily dryer than others, but the fruit isn't as massive as say a Cali or a Kiwi. I've had some ridiculously fruity pinots from NZ, the French ones are a much different style, more terroire, etc.

Completely agree. I just bought a large (too big to hold while reading in bed, so it might take a while to read!) book on Burgundy. My knowledge of things there is shallow and think that, coupled with the cost of so many of them, stops me from getting more into them.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Completely agree. I just bought a large (too big to hold while reading in bed, so it might take a while to read!) book on Burgundy. My knowledge of things there is shallow and think that, coupled with the cost of so many of them, stops me from getting more into them.

tell me about it. The problem is, it's so easy to spend $120, $130, $140 for a good (but far from superb) bottle. And there are so many subtle things about Burgundy, which makes it wonderful to explore by tasting, but so difficult to finance to actually get this experience. And the best of the best (like a Henri Jayer) are way in the stratosphere for price and painfully difficult to obtain if you actually do have the cash.

When I buy Burgundy, usually it's only at the commune-level (say a Gevrey-Chambertain or a Chambolle-Musigny) as opposed to single vineyard offerings. I'm still dropping $40-60 for each bottle. If I look to the less prestigious areas (Nuits St. George, Pommard, Santennay), it's much easier to get a single vineyard wine from a grower in that price point.

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Just curious...can you name the last Pinot you had with a noticeable residual sugar level? Thanks.

No.

But that Volnay puckered the palette. The previous Volnay was so lush. Interesting.

4. audiophilia

When I buy Burgundy, usually it's only at the commune-level (say a Gevrey-Chambertain or a Chambolle-Musigny) as opposed to single vineyard offerings. I'm still dropping $40-60 for each bottle. If I look to the less prestigious areas (Nuits St. George, Pommard, Santennay), it's much easier to get a single vineyard wine from a grower in that price point.

+1

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

So last night I went to dinner with my girlfriend at a local restaurant. The food is alright, and I never really want to go there but just end up there because it is like a two minute drive from home and casual. As I was reading the wine list a sentence jumped out at me, "Wednesday everything on the wine list is 1/2 off." Everything means everything, champagne, super tuscans, California cabs, etc etc. I recall seeing Le Volte, Stags Leap, for sure but didnt order a bottle because my GF wasnt drinking.

Maybe this Wednesday I'll head over for some wine and cheese.

6. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ i never liked her anyway after she gave your herpes. FUCKIN DUMP HER HOW COULD SHE BE THAT UNTHOUGHTFUL.

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Yea but I haven't had an outbreak in a long time so I've forgiven her.

8. audiophilia

Two bottles of cheap 07 Kenwood Pinot. With a great steak at our local. Wine tasted good...

9. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

tonight I'm enjoying a 2005 Estay Pierto Picudo from Castilla y Leon and a bottle of the 2005 Diablita Sonoma County Cab Sav, Merlot, Syrah, Petite Sirah blend. Both great wines and great values! Pics and notes to come. Was going to bring home a bottle of the 2004 Fire Block Old Vine Grenache but it was our last one in stock so I wasn't allowed to take it [​IMG] Damn that's a tastey bottle for $20!

10. audiophilia

Excellent, fresh, young Pinot. Lots of fruit, but balanced nicely with acidity. Aging will bring a more sophisticated finish.

Malivoire is one of my top 4 Niagara wineries. It's the third vintage I've tasted, each has the Malivoire stamp. Well done.

90/100

[​IMG]

11. audiophilia

From Cellar Tracker:

'A very light cherry red colour. Clear rim. The nose is of strawberries and red berries. As well there is some beef fat to this. Very soft on the nose, with hints of crushed rocks. Nothing that jumps out here but there is something there that is almost velvety and soft. Very nice. Starts to lose it, after it has been left out for a few hours. Would not decant this wine again and better to leave it in the bottle, as we did the second one. Had with marrinated duck breast (not farm, but ones that were hunted this fall) with a red wine demi glaze and apple confit. Very good with game food. At first the acidity and tannins integrated very nicely, but then the oak and tannins took over and this wine really went down hill after a few hours. Still there was some fruit in the finish but it did not seem to stand out in any way and in the end the wine fell short on the palate.'

The writer suggests not to decant. I decanted for two hours. It seemed a little 'flat'. It was obviously an excellent wine, but I was expecting more. Maybe the decant was not beneficial.

'Crushed rocks', dunno, but I did taste delicate fruit and lots of acidity. Still need to develop my palette with the old world wines. In the ten or so Burgs and Bords I've drunk, I've loved two, liked three, and five were just okay. Two bottles of the same vintage/varietal/winery were so different, one was the best I've drunk, the other near the bottom. Weird. That's fine wine, I guess.

88/100

[​IMG]

12. audiophilia

The Beamsville Bench is to the Silverado Trail what Niagara is to the St.Helena Highway. More boutique wineries (yes, and better wine, IMO) compared to bus loads of tourists on their way to the falls. Our three favourite Ontario wineries are within 5 miles of each other. Tawse, Malivoire and Thirty Bench. The three gems produce consistently fine wine. Tawse is a gravity winery that started as vanity and is now producing fantastic Cab Franc and Pinot. Today's offerings were superb, the Cab Franc, especially. Malivoire is a little more rustic and produces excellent Pinot and rough and ready midweek Gamay. Thirty Bench is my favourite and has been producing knockout reds since 2000. I've tasted everything from 2002 on. Today, the new Pinot and Red were on show. Both young, but so tasty and huge potential. Here are some photos of our afternoon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Great pictures.

14. audiophilia

Cheers, Johnny.

Was a great afternoon.

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Great stuff Audio!!! I'm so envious [​IMG]

Okay so here's this weekends vinos:

2005 Estay Prieto Picudo, Castilla y Leon $16.99

[​IMG]

Great little bottle for the price. Deep ruby red with a big nose full of spicy dark fruits and oaky vanilla. Juicy and fruit forward yet balanced out nicely by warm and subtle tannins and notes of smooth vanilla, which leads into a nice lingering finish with new emerging notes of ripe dark raspberries!

2005 Diablita, Red Wine, Sonoma County $15.49

[​IMG]

Love this one. A nice Tres Appellation (Alexander Valley, Cole Ranch and Sonoma County) blend of Cab Sav, Merlot, Syrah and Petite Sirah. The deep rich and mischievous purple colour only hints at the devilish goodness yet to come. This wine has a fiery spirit with a nose full of dark fruits and spicy earth tones. This little vixen doesn't stop there, conjuring up a mouth full of jammy dark fruits like plum and blackberry spiced up with wonderfully warm, velvety and chewy tannins. This little devil has a long smoldering finish that really makes you beg for more.