Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

^^^^^ Just [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

2005 Cos will be epic in about 50 years.

Had a '78 Becheyvelle last week. Past its prime, even for me, but still delicious.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

epic post!!

Hold on to those Didiers for a little bit. I've had the 2007 Silex and it needs a few years to really develop.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Whoa]
    We are not worthy. Srs. [​IMG]

5. ryansmith

ryansmith Senior member

Yes, 2005 Cos is already pretty epic, one of my top 05s.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Awesome stuff tatters! I personally think the Canadians here contribute more than their population representation would indicate. [​IMG]

DuMol, AP Vin, and Martinelli all in today for their mailers. Need to grab a few DuMol but they are over pricing. $50 for a Viognier? Get a clue, moran!

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wow. i looked at the cos d'estournel and thought WOW. and then it was bomb after bomb after bomb. i wish i was one of your kids

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Then was the Gru-Vee Gruner Veltliner from Austria. I've had this before but still found it a little boring.

do you remember the vintage of the GrüVe?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

do you remember the vintage of the GrüVe?

not specifically but I'd bet on 2009. This one was a pass.

Gruners as a whole, however, are awesome and certainly amongst my favorite of wines. I find that $18-20 is a sweet spot to get something of very good quality.

10. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

2005 Cos will be epic in about 50 years.

Had a '78 Becheyvelle last week. Past its prime, even for me, but still delicious.

I'm in my late thirties, so 50 will be doubtful for me, but hopefully my girl will enjoy it - she drew the lucky straw by being born in a great year for Bordeaux. Beychevelle does not get a lot of love these days but I'm glad to hear that you liked it.

epic post!!

Hold on to those Didiers for a little bit. I've had the 2007 Silex and it needs a few years to really develop.

I will. I tried the 05 twice recently and it was clear that it benefited from aging. I would never have normally tried a $100+ Sauvignon Blanc were it not for your's, Pio's and Manton's effusive praise - thanks for the tip fellas.

Awesome stuff tatters! I personally think the Canadians here contribute more than their population representation would indicate. [​IMG]

We're a northern people... united by alcohol... [​IMG]

11. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

wow. i looked at the cos d'estournel and thought WOW. and then it was bomb after bomb after bomb. i wish i was one of your kids

These are hardly daily-drinkers in my household! We have mostly Rhone reds and either Alsacian or local (British Columbia) whites: 95% of the time we're around $25 - $30 a bottle for at home drinks.

I'm sure I'll find many ways of torturing my spawn over the years but if I can leave them with a nicely stocked cellar maybe they'll have some fond memories of their old man...

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I will. I tried the 05 twice recently and it was clear that it benefited from aging. I would never have normally tried a $100+ Sauvignon Blanc were it not for your's, Pio's and Manton's effusive praise - thanks for the tip fellas.

Nice, happy to spread the Didier love. The Silex Manton and I had was 2004, and it was undoubtedly alive and well (and would be for a few more years even had we not drank it all).

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

not specifically but I'd bet on 2009. This one was a pass.

Gruners as a whole, however, are awesome and certainly amongst my favorite of wines. I find that $18-20 is a sweet spot to get something of very good quality.

i did a quick research. it's coming from a well reputed winery in a typical veltliner region.

this special edition called "GrüVe", it's also a registered brand, is a fresh and slightly sparkling tasting experience. haven't had this particular wine in years, but the wines from Langenlois are amongst my favorites.

glad you like them so much.

if you need some recommendations or have particular questions, i'll be happy to be of assistance.

out of my head:
    Anton Bauer, Feuersbrunn
    Bernhard Ott, Feuersbrunn
    Willy Bründlmayer, Langenlois

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Okay, not getting any DuMol. Assholes want nearly $200 to ship a case!

15. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Still recovering from girl's surprise 50th. 30 guests. 24 beers and 25 empties. Amazing group of people. Even brother and partner flew in from Victoria and surprised the hell out of both of us.

11 Champagne (Moet and Mumms Napa)
    6 Tequila
    1 White
    7 Reds (Rhone and Central Coast)