The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

As to Italian wines, I don't know what to say. Every time I try one that comes highly recommended, my sadness deepens. They rarely offer anything I look for in a wine.

You're a tough one to figure out. You knock CdP for being Parkerized (Parker doesn't rate Italians - Galloni, a tough citic with very different tastes than Parker, does it for the Wine Advocate), say they've become hellishly expensive (I'll gladly do a dollar to dollar test for a great Barolo/Barbaresco/Brunello against anything from Bordeaux, CdP, or Burgundy - even Mr. Bordeaux Manton dropped $65 on some Barolo a few months ago and commented on the great value he got), and say Bandol is the last great hope for excellent food red (Italians are food wines above all else!) ... and yet say the Italians rarely offer anything you look for in a wine.

:roma:

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You're a tough one to figure out. You knock CdP for being Parkerized (Parker doesn't rate Italians - Galloni, a tough citic with very different tastes than Parker, does it for the Wine Advocate), say they've become hellishly expensive (I'll gladly do a dollar to dollar test for a great Barolo/Barbaresco/Brunello against anything from Bordeaux, CdP, or Burgundy - even Mr. Bordeaux Manton dropped $65 on some Barolo a few months ago and commented on the great value he got), and say Bandol is the last great hope for excellent food red (Italians are food wines above all else!) ... and yet say the Italians rarely offer anything you look for in a wine.

:roma:

I don't know what to tell you. I mean, I don't know Italian wine that well, so maybe I am totally missing everything, but I'm really pretty easy to please. I also have nothing against Italy in general, I've spent a lot of time there, speak the language pretty fluently, know the food very well, like it in general (though I hink it is also quite overrated as a cuisine.) I just find that the wines to be, almost to a number, disappointing. Maybe someday some pour soul will edumacate me.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

first class was quite entertaining, but probably not appropriate for you guys. basics of wine making and how to decode labels. i never heard of the term vatting before and i thought fining and filtration were the same thing, but apparently fining is with egg whites.

favorite quote was "teetotalers believe not drinking wine will make them live longer, but to me it just seems longer" [​IMG]

video lectures and ppt will be posted next week. ill post links when they come up.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

nice. Is Mutoski teaching this semester? I know he was on sabatical for a while so a lot of guests came in for some good lectures.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah mutkoski's teaching this semester. sabbatical ended. lol but he said he taught 9 out of 14 classes anyways while he was on sabbatical cuz he liked the class so much. i like him.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

tonight is a Cru Beaujolais. I wont bother posting the name since I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had Foxen Sea Smoke 2008 (I know, I know) in a restaurant last night. Fabulous. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to CA pinot.

And in Heaven, the Angels rejoiced and sang Hosannas.

No post of yours has ever made me happier to read.

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

And in Heaven, the Angels rejoiced and sang Hosannas.

No post of yours has ever made me happier to read.

Given how many posts he has in threads about nuclear blast radii and shit, this isn't a terribly high bar.

9. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

tonight is a Cru Beaujolais. I wont bother posting the name since I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Was it a 2009 cru? That vintage is being lauded in ALL quarters, and it's got me dying to try all ten!

Actually, this hubbub would likely have passed me without comment if not for that amazing '09 Loire Valley Gamay that I recently raved about, the Jean-Francois Merieau "le Bois Jacou". By popular spousal demand, another bottle was consumed last night to raves. Again, unbelievably succulent this time with rosemary pork, yams with orange and spice, fresh green beans, and a rainy evening... and only 4 bottles left!

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

11. Ricardo Malocchio

It was an '09

One of these "underachievers" from Louis Tete, maybe?

Surely not one of the "WOWSERS!!!!"

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

A very lovely 2005 Vitanza Rosso last night with an '04 Casale del Duccio Chianti Riserva as a chaser. More funk on the nose and palate of the Chianti while the Rosso is just so smooth and easy. Nicely tart, big fruits.

13. Ricardo Malocchio

Opened another bottle of the Merieau gamay last night - cooked. [​IMG]

It was from the same box/shipment as the non-cooked Merieau from the night before, and the same shipment but different box as the Montevertine from earlier this week that I thought may have been slightly cooked.

Eighteen bottles, but nothing terribly expensive (04 Capanna BdM, and the Montevertines being the most costly). Guess there's not much to do but start popping these bottles and hope there are a few more undamaged wines.... and prepare to eat mass quantities of boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin, etc. [​IMG]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Had something atrocious last night. [​IMG] It was a gift and could not be avoided.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Hai Guiz. Been having some nice stuff. Will report in this weekend when I get home.