The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Need a little help here. The head of the music department at my school has been extraordinarily helpful to me, to the point where I really want to get him something nice to show my appreciation. The problem is that he went to a culinary institute and is also a wine enthusiast.

Is there anything in the $50 range that won't disappoint him? Are there any specific wines which are "safe bets", or should I not even bother without knowing his preferences? I can spend a bit more if necessary. I'm a complete wine noob, but live near the Party Source which has a seemingly incredible selection of wines.

http://www.thepartysource.com/index.php

Thanks for the help

I'd go a $50 Napa Cab, but if you're not sure what he likes, why not go Champagne? Always a lovely gift. Not sure of the prices in the US, but a Moet, Taittanger or Roederer would go down a treat.

2. magnus_h

magnus_h Senior member

Last weekend was first time drinking Bandol for me, really good stuff. Paired it with chicken with morels, from Jaques PÃ[​IMG]pin's "Complete Techniques".

[​IMG]

http://www.burgundy-report.com/index...llage-profile/

Funny you should post that link, because I just picked up this for drinking this weekend:
    [​IMG]

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I fucking love Bandol. Now that CdP has gotten both Parkerized and hellishly expensive, it is the last great hope for excellent food red.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I'd go a $50 Napa Cab, but if you're not sure what he likes, why not go Champagne? Always a lovely gift. Not sure of the prices in the US, but a Moet, Taittanger or Roederer would go down a treat.

if he knows about wine ... i'd go with a grower champagne. they are usually much better deals than the major houses and have that little "i'm in the know" thing going on.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I fucking love Bandol. Now that CdP has gotten both Parkerized and hellishly expensive, it is the last great hope for excellent food red.

unless you get a great Italian, in my humble opinion.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

KL and La Crau. You pulling the trigger? I will think about it for the next couple of days.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

KL is offering a case of the 2008 Vieux Telegraphe for about 40% less than I paid for a case of the 2007. Should I bite?

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

KL is offering a case of the 2008 Vieux Telegraphe for about 40% less than I paid for a case of the 2007. Should I bite?

I'm not going a case, but thinking a 3 pack. I'm still trying to pull in my horns.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

just wanted to say that i have my first wine class today!!! pretty stoked. going to own this class.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

just wanted to say that i have my first wine class today!!! pretty stoked. going to own this class.

Nice. The first class is pretty basic, but it's a great time overall.

Last fall he posted the lectures online, I copied the link from teh GF's Blackboard page and sent it to a few people here. They remove and then update the links every semester, so do poast the new ones.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Had Foxen Sea Smoke 2008 (I know, I know) in a restaurant last night. Fabulous. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to CA pinot.

Restaurant was Bouchon (no Keller) in Santa Barbara, which was excellent in every respect except that the appetizer portions were too large.

12. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

Fortunately, there are others as Gomestar notes. But yes, I've stopped purchasing/ordering CdP after tasting an aggressively over-extracted, no acid, all oak and alchohol, Frankensteinish nightmare of a CdP ('07 vintage?) at a local wine bar. $22 for the glass and the education. Not all CdPs have become like this, of course, but it's difficult enough keeping the traditionalists, the modernists, the straddlers, and the spoofulators straight in my mind in my best loved regions (the Piedmont and Tuscany, primarily). And harder still to keep straight the different bottlings. Vietti, for example, uses various regimens in its different bottlings, some purely Slovakian large barrel aged, others with a good dose of new French barrique. But one makes the effort. One has to. And it feels a bit like the pendulum is swinging back toward balance, purity, and non manipulation.

Which brings me to last night's wine, a 2005 Montevertine Toscana IGT, perhaps one of the best examples of a great winemaker bucking the globalized, homogenized style of winemaking that's been ascendent. I think it's safe to say that Montevertine's wines are as much a response - and rebuke - to the international style and use of non native varietals of the Bolgheri (Sassicaia, Ornellaia) as they are to the absurd and oft-changing strictures of Chianti. The wine I drank last night - mostly Sangiovese, with some Canaiolo and Colorino blended in - probably conforms to the Chianti rules as amended in 2005, if the folks at Montevertine cared to be so classified. They don't. So, it's a "Super Tuscan", generally speaking, but has far more in common with the traditional Chianti wines than those Bordeaux blends aged in barrique and also called "Super Tuscan". Good overview of all this here.

While lovely, it was not quite the fullest expression of Chianti-ness I'd hoped for. As translucent as any Chianti I've had, but oddly more purplish than ruby red. A good, but not overwhelming nose brought cherries and flowers, with some earthier tones of tobacco and a touch of balsamic, all essentially repeated on the palate. Medium to light weight, with a very silky, Burgundian mouthfeel. The finish was fairly long, and never turning bitter or sour like some acidic sangiovese can.

Still, my mind wasn't blown and I can't help but wonder if this bottle was slightly heat damaged. I'm playing against my expectations here - never having tasted this wine before - and my usual fears of a heat damaged summer shipment (this was the first bottle opened from last week's arrival). The capsule spun freely, there was no crud on the cap, the cork showed no streaking but was ever so slightly above the lip of the bottle. But I tend to expect a sweeter, verging toward hard candy expression of cherry in these wines, and this one tasted a bit more, well... I wish I could find a more nuanced, less extreme term than "stewed", which is more conclusive than I intend. Suffice to say, it lacked the vibrant red fruit qualities that I associate with sangio-based wines. And yet, my wife and I polished that bottle in no time, fighting a little over the last pour, even after starting out on a couple glasses of leftover Gruner.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'll post lecture notes here when i get them. the blackboard site isn't up yet. not sure what's up with that, but i'll find out in 3 hours

what is cdp and why is manton saying i know i know about his what i think is a pinot noir?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It's a nice wine. I tried it about a month ago. They still make a great CdP in the old style. Frankly, IMO only, the 2007 was, perhaps, the only good wine made in that region in a vintage that so many seem to love. I think they are the best producer in the area right now. The '08 is typical of their style. As to Italian wines, I don't know what to say. Every time I try one that comes highly recommended, my sadness deepens. They rarely offer anything I look for in a wine.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wait i'm going to guess chateauneuf du pape. correct?