The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Good thinking of the split. I've got nearly a dozen and at least half ready to drink.

Think the WS Vegas thing was in Feb. this year.

I would do a meetup in Vegas, I think. I wouldn't do it on a weekend like that, because I'd rather be able to get good dinner reservations.

We should pick a weekend and make it happen. I like the Feb idea, even if it's not around the WS event. Winter/Spring would be better for me.

The only thing I like less is gambling.

I'm with you on the gambling.

I detest gambling.

It's OK guize I like gambling enough for all of us.

Let us make a pledge. We shall not talk to Mike Tyson.

[​IMG]

2. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

I wish I was more familiar with white bordeaux to better contextualize last night's wine. Not a bordeaux, but something akin I think.... 2006 Elian da Ros vin de table de France "Coucou Blanc" A bordeaux blend from the Côtes du Marmandais purchased for $37 at Wine Bottega, Boston. Yup, that's right - from Marmandais. The varietals/percentages aren't listed on the bottle, but per WB, it's a blend of sauvignon blanc, sauvignon gris, and semillon. Very pale straw color, almost watery on the edges, which surprised me a little given the description of Ros' wine-making ("a slow pressing and patient fermentation and elevage bring forth an uncommon level of extraction"). Aromas of apple, citrus, and something faintly spicy, like a distant waft of cinnamon-apple coffee cake fresh out of the oven. Medium weight, richly textured mouthfeel with zingy acidity. Flavors of apple, followed by grapefruit, finishing with a creamy hint of Orange Julius. There's a warm spice underlying it all that I can't quite place. Again, I wish I could contextualize this wine better, because I found it to be absolutely wonderful. Very alive in the glass, it continued to surprise throughout the meal, with the last sip being the most complex and inviting of all. It completely over-shadowed my first attempt at salt-crusted loup de mer (opting here for the French term given the style of the dinner and origin of the wine!), which turned out to be an idiot-proof method of cooking whole fish. I just need to work on my table presentation. You know, figure out how to lift those fillets more neatly off the bones and onto the plate. There's not very much information in English about this winemaker, but I stumbled across this article by Jefford this morning: Elian da Ros: A Question of Confidence. "Talent in Burgundy, Napa or Barossa is a wonderful thing, of course, but it's likely to be quickly recognised and amply rewarded. The world is just waiting to praise good efforts from these areas, adjectives at the ready. Talent emerging from the wilderness is all the more impressive because of the struggle it implies. And in the wine world, too, it is doubly precious, because it means that something new and unique will be born. No one before Elian da Ros has ever made outstanding Marmandais wine: it hasn't existed. Now it does."

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Couple glasses of Poggio San Polo 05 Rosso di Montalcino last night. Opened quickly... tart, smooth overall. Nice drinker... paired very well with a spicy corn chowder.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

We should pick a weekend and make it happen. I like the Feb idea, even if it's not around the WS event. Winter/Spring would be better for me.

It's OK guize I like gambling enough for all of us.

[​IMG]

Just got this month's WS. Looks like the big tasting is at the end of October. So I guess that's out, which is fine, as I'm doing a big local culinary festival and will hopefully have some out of town guests here for that.

Feb is a good month. Traditionally slow, it's cool/cold, no spring break crowds.

5. Mark from Plano

Just got this month's WS. Looks like the big tasting is at the end of October. So I guess that's out, which is fine, as I'm doing a big local culinary festival and will hopefully have some out of town guests here for that.

Feb is a good month. Traditionally slow, it's cool/cold, no spring break crowds.

Needs to be late Feb. Early Feb is Superbowl and (I believe) mid Feb is National Finals Rodeo. Does anyone know when the big computer convention thingy is? I think it might be in there somewhere as well.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

LOL @ you guys actually planning this... And lol @ me being jealous of not being able to come.

7. Mark from Plano

Turns out the NFR is in December, so not an issue. Super Bowl is Feb 6th here in Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington. Would be a great weekend to get out of town to anywhere but Vegas.

LOL @ you guys actually planning this...
    And lol @ me being jealous of not being able to come.

F-you foodboy!!!11!!. You're going to figure out a way to come out, right?

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Are you calling me foodguy's son? [​IMG]

9. Piobaire

LOL @ you guys actually planning this...
    And lol @ me being jealous of not being able to come.

Don't worry, I've got ya covered. Will text pics to you just like last night (no homo).

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Are you calling me foodguy's son? [​IMG]

More polite than the otherwise truthful "bastard child".

11. Piobaire

We are bringing wives/sig o/current squeezes, right?

Oh, had some Shiraz, Torrentes, and Pinot last night.

Torbeck Woodcutter
    E Minor
    ??

Fantelli Torrentes

Penner-Ash Pinot

12. Piobaire

So, after a debauched night, last night, we're staying in for dinner. Going to start off with seared foie gras paired with N.V. Erie Shore Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Winter Harvest. Bought this at the winery and a Cab Sauv icewine is a wonder. Will have half the bottle with foie.

Then, doing Rick Bayless's ceviche recipe using scallops and shrimps. The smoke gun came in but we're not even going to put a part of the batch into smoke to try. Just too lazy. Pairing with Chehalem Chardonnay Dundee Hills Stoller Vineyards Ian's Reserve 2007.

Dessert will be a flourless chocolate torte with the other half of the icewine.

Trying to decide if some cambazola and triple creme would go with the Chard or not.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Don't worry, I've got ya covered. Will text pics to you just like last night (no homo).
    [​IMG]
    More polite than the otherwise truthful "bastard child".
    The bastard child of foodguy and whom? Please say iammatt or Piob, plz plz plzzzzzzzz!!!! [​IMG]

14. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

[​IMG]

Last night at a friend's place for dinner. Decent enough. One of the better CAD$16 Syrah options I've had. Can't say I remember too much about it, a few too many before dinner beverages.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

The bastard child of foodguy and whom? Please say iammatt or Piob, plz plz plzzzzzzzz!!!! [​IMG]

Both. Amazing what they can do with a test tube these days.