• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
that post likely made no sense, I'm on a conference call. And i'm tired. The mind wanders.

I don't think that is a big mark up for KB.

LOL, so I'm not the only one who mainly posts while on the phone, reviewing docs, etc?
laugh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to my mind, a great wine list is a balance of gutting the big spenders who don't have a clue and enabling the real wine geeks who are on a budget. it's my version of redistribution of wealth. Who cares how much they charge for Opus One as long as i can get my vietta barbera "scarrone" at a decent price?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
to my mind, a great wine list is a balance of gutting the big spenders who don't have a clue and enabling the real wine geeks who are on a budget. it's my version of redistribution of wealth. Who cares how much they charge for Opus One as long as i can get my vietta barbera "scarrone" at a decent price?

this is a perfect translation of what I intended in my junk post. The places I tend to frequent often (EMP, USQ, Grammercy) do this quite well.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, that could almost be called teh "danny" model ...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
yes, that could almost be called teh "danny" model ...

yes indeed. I'm a huge fan of the wine lists his people create and I can always find something wonderful for a good price. In a way I see it as a standard that other restaurants should follow.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a great old place here in la called valentino that has a legendary list. he's really good at that. he'll have multiple vintages of all the big hitters and it's amazing what some people will play for a bottle of wine. but if you take the time to look through the list (the full version is the size of a small phone book), there will be multiple "holy sh*t" moments when you find stuff you've always wanted to try at close to retail.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ah, now I see what you were saying, Gome. I would enjoy a list like that too. Let's face it, with things like Opus, that's there so people that know a little bit about wine can impress other people that know a little bit about wine and the house can make a crap ton of mark up.

My post was just that if I see a few wines I know the retail of, and they're well priced, I'm likely to feel trust in the overall pricing. If I see stuff I know is at 300%+ of retail, I'm going to go with a cocktail or modest yet drinkable bottle of wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Today's two questions, answers in white, so quote me to see them. Both questions have to do with Alsace.

Which of the following may produce Alsace Grand Cru AOP blends?

Altenberg de Bergheim

What are the soils of the upper vineyards in the Vosges Mountains comprised of?

Schist, granite and volcanic sediment.

Yes, I am geeking out. Tomorrow I plan to tackle Australia and New Zealand.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
name me one of the 430-something premier cru vineyards in Burg!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How about Ground Zero?

RomanÃ
00a9.png
e Conti, La Tâche (monopole of DRC), La RomanÃ
00a9.png
e (monopole of château de Vosne RomanÃ
00a9.png
e), Richebourg, RomanÃ
00a9.png
e-St.-Vivant, La Grande Rue (monopole of Domaine Lamarche)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I think Romanee-Conti also also a monopole, but I could be wrong. Quick, make up for it by defining monopole. And tell me how many grand cru vineyards there are w/o using google! And what's the minimum ABV % for most of the white grand crus!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
too long. I think there's a touch over 40 if you include chablis. and 11.5% tends to be the norm. You will become learned!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No, today is Alsace, the Jura and Savoie.

The four noble white grapes please, and the only noble red permitted.

What are the plains at the base of the Vosges composed of?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads