The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

You are going far North....I wish I could get up there more often. One of the best meals I've had in a long long time was at Le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck about 5 miles away from CIA.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

You are going far North....I wish I could get up there more often. One of the best meals I've had in a long long time was at Le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck.

yeah, it's a pain in the ass to get there, 5 hours by car. But well worth it, really excellent food and wine that I never seemed to cherish enough when I lived there. We plan on hitting up Restaurant Banfi (yes, same Banfi family as the Castello ... they have a restaurant right in the middle of my college's campus), Moosewood Restaurant, the Carriage House (a favorite for brunch), and a handful of others. The leaves will be starting to turn colors, it should be beautiful. [​IMG]

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I want to get up there soon. The Hudson Valley has so much to offer and I regret not taking advantage of it earlier. I went hiking up at Bear Mountain yesterday and the leaves were starting to change color, and I can only imagine the views when the leaves are at the pinnacle of their fall transformations. The Banfis are customers of mine.

Do you know of any nice B&Bs up in the Finger Lakes? My GF and myself have been dying to get out to California wine country but the fact that we are still students and our schedules are so crazy don't allow it.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I want to get up there soon. The Hudson Valley has so much to offer and I regret not taking advantage of it earlier. I went hiking up at Bear Mountain yesterday and the leaves were starting to change color, and I can only imagine the views when the leaves are at the pinnacle of their fall transformations. The Banfis are customers of mine.

Do you know of any nice B&Bs up in the Finger Lakes? My GF and myself have been dying to get out to California wine country but the fact that we are still students and our schedules are so crazy don't allow it.

it is really beautiful up there, especially in the fall. Big lakes, mountains, vineyards, etc.

There must be hundreds of B&B's all throughout the region, most are excellent, old, romantic, and prices are usually quite affordable ($80-160 seems to be pretty standard with obvious exceptions at either end). I couldn't possibly recommend one, there are too many that would be equally nice. My schedule is hectic as well, but I think it's worth my time and effort to get up there, I look forward to it every time.

Explore this site for some details, information, etc: http://www.visitithaca.com/
    And I'll always provide winery, restaurant, and activity recommendations.

5. binge

binge Senior member

kwik - Hop in your car and make a day-trip up to Anderson Valley. There are many smaller, family-owned wineries up along 128, between Yorkville and Navarro. I don't recall which ones charged, but at least a couple were free, or maybe $5-$10. Since you're going on a weekday, this late in the year, they might not even charge you; especially if you name-drop your employer [cough].

One I particularly enjoyed when we toured it early summer 2008: Toulouse Vineyards. Total mom-n-pop outfit. Their tasting room is a couple of wooden doors stretched between barrels in a barn. The winemaker was there serving the wine when I visited. The yellow lab that runs out to greet you is pretty cool as well.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I wish I could have snagged a couple of bottles but they blew out quick.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

One I particularly enjoyed when we toured it early summer 2008: Toulouse Vineyards. Total mom-n-pop outfit. Their tasting room is a couple of wooden doors stretched between barrels in a barn. The winemaker was there serving the wine when I visited. The yellow lab that runs out to greet you is pretty cool as well.

I love wine tastings like this. The best I've had, is a very small place in the Lake Erie North Shore appellation, called Erie Shore. Just a small tasting room at the front of their barn and they specialize in icewine and the Vidal grape.

9. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

The weekend worriers
    [​IMG]

All but the Bordeaux were amazing and all were under $15!

From Left to Right:

2008 Cono Sur Carmenere $6.99 Trader Joe's
    Dark fruits and nice tannins really make this a surprise!

2007 Molto Malbec $15.49 Just Grapes
    Not the gratest Malbec but was still nice for the price.

2007 Mesta Tempranillo $15.49 Just Grapes
    One of the best non Crianza Tempranillos I've had! A lovely balance of dark fruits, earthy minerality and warm textured tannins!

2006 Chateau Haut Peyruguet Bordeaux Vignobles Jolivet $15.49 Just Grapes

60% Merlot 20% Cab Sav 20% Cab Franc

This one just didn't deliver! I waited and waited but it just did not want to open up at all! Any fruits that should have been in the front were beaten down by bullying minerality and over aggresive tannins. The finish was like acidic sandpaper and the only good thing about it was that it didn't linger!

The final one of the right has yet to be enjoyed! It's a Chilean Pinot Noir. I've had their Cab and it was wonderful so I have high hopes for this one.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I wish I could have snagged a couple of bottles but they blew out quick.

+1. 3 shipped for less than $70 is a tremendous bargain, they were still in stock this morning. I should have jumped, tisk tisk.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I finally ordered my wine glasses. Thank you, bonus points.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Is there any calendar or notification of wines that will be on sale in the future?

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Check every day at midnight. They don't announce it before hand.

14. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG] A lovely wine. Quite dry, but nicely balanced. I prefer a little more juicier wine. 90/100

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

A lovely wine. Quite dry, but nicely balanced. I prefer a little more juicier wine.

90/100

Is this dryer than most Pinots you try? Just wondering.