1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Yeah but I think it's more of a "which one do you prefer" sort of thing.

to which my answer is "yes"

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

speaking of Bordeaux, I did some study a few weeks ago on the soil composition and root depths of the Bordeaux region. Huge differences between right bank and left bank, we're talking 20-23 ft deep in the gravely left bank and 4-5 ft. deep in the clay-ish right bank. I think Petrus is pushing an average of 4 ft in roots per vine.

3. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Distinguished Member

For Ontario SFers who may not already know, 2008 Bordeaux futures are currently available for pre-order here. They're selling out quickly, but it sounds like a fantastic vintage. And thanks to the global economic crisis, the prices are great.

4. PandArts

PandArts Distinguished Member

to which my answer is "yes"

LOL! Good answer!

speaking of Bordeaux, I did some study a few weeks ago on the soil composition and root depths of the Bordeaux region. Huge differences between right bank and left bank, we're talking 20-23 ft deep in the gravely left bank and 4-5 ft. deep in the clay-ish right bank. I think Petrus is pushing an average of 4 ft in roots per vine.

Hmmmm, very interesting! Would that be why Cab Sav grows better in the Left Bank and Merlot in the Right? n00b question I know but gotta start somewhere [​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Hmmmm, very interesting! Would that be why Cab Sav grows better in the Left Bank and Merlot in the Right? n00b question I know but gotta start somewhere [​IMG]

Soil comp. is a major reason (and perhaps THE reason) why they have the different varietals in the different banks.

what I don't know, however, is how much root vigor plays into the equation. Scientists have proven that root depth has no impact on the ability to produce great wine (and I know great cab can be produced with very shallow roots), so I can't really comment on Cab's ability in the right bank.

6. audiophilia

audiophilia Distinguished Member

For Ontario SFers who may not already know, 2008 Bordeaux futures are currently available for pre-order here. They're selling out quickly, but it sounds like a fantastic vintage. And thanks to the global economic crisis, the prices are great.

Thanks.

Pand, your tasting looks like it was a lot of fun. Would like to try that Lumos.

7. PandArts

Pand, your tasting looks like it was a lot of fun. Would like to try that Lumos.

Let me tell you that PN was second only to the Cab Franc for me in the reds! 2006 was the year for big grapes in Oregon as opposed the the overly wet 2007.

I'm toying with taking a bottle home tonight so that I can taste more than 10% of a mouthful! [​IMG]

I have to spit while on the clock but I usually sneak 10% so I can get a better feel for the back palate and finish [​IMG]

8. audiophilia

Just grabbed a Phelps Innisfree Cab for dinner tomorrow nite.

Some Lohr and Kenwood at a local restaurant tonite.

9. pscolari

pscolari Distinguished Member

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sounds awesome Pand. Wish I had been to Just Grapes when I was still in Chicago. When I come back for graduation, I'll come in and you'll have to give me a tour.
    There are some seriously good wines coming out of Williamette (damnit) Valley.

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Distinguished Member

Enjoyed this bottle last night with the GF.

[​IMG]

Not my pic, too lazy to get the camera.

12. audiophilia

^^^

Think they have this at the LCBO.

Supposed to be excellent.

13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior Member

^^^

Think they have this at the LCBO.

Supposed to be excellent.

They have the 2007.

My sister just bought me a bottle of the following for my birthday:

[​IMG]

14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior Member

[​IMG]

Wyndham Estate George Wyndham Founder's Reserve 2005 Shiraz

I sampled this a few weeks ago, but never posted my thoughts as I was generally unimpressed with this offering. I didn't jot down any tasting notes, but the wine simply lacked the depth of flavour I thought it should have for the acclaim that it was receiving. At $22.99, it was still a decent value based on the other options at the vintages section of the LCBO. 86/100.

15. PandArts

Sounds awesome Pand. Wish I had been to Just Grapes when I was still in Chicago. When I come back for graduation, I'll come in and you'll have to give me a tour.
    There are some seriously good wines coming out of Williamette (damnit) Valley.

Kwilk I'd love to have by. I tried to get a job at my local shop, Marion St. Cheese Market but there just weren't any openings. Blessing really if you think about it as I'm now learning about wine from one of only a handful Court of Masters Sommeliers in the country! In just two short weeks my knowledge and understanding of wine has doubled.