1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I could freebase Chablis.

Haven't tried this method, but maybe now I'll have to. Does it help release the aromas or something?

Got another Scarecrow letter. I will get an allocation or M Etain but it doesn't say how many nor the price.

If you have to ask the price you clearly can't afford it.

2. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

A nice Albarino or Verdejo would compliment the Paella nicely. I also like a nice TorrontÃ[​IMG]s.

Awesome, I have a Torrontes on hand which will do nicely, thanks!

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Awesome, I have a Torrontes on hand which will do nicely, thanks!

That is a fantastic grape. Extremely underrated. Good call, P&A.

4. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Girl outdid herself. Wonderful dinner. The wine complimented very well. The Gig was very good, not as characterful as some, but much better than last week's disappointment. The surprise was the Tandem. An outstanding Pinot from Sonoma. Layers of delicious cherry, licorice and smoke, with great balance and blended tannins. A lovely $29 surprise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

****VERY IMPORTANT*****

HR 5034 now has nearly 140 co-sponsors and is scheduled for debate on 9/29. Apparently, retailers are being denied an advocate to speak on their behalf.

Guys, this could seriously be the end of shipping wine and liquor. For us folks in flyover country, this is very bad and it will just kill the current business model of many fine wine producers.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

****VERY IMPORTANT*****

HR 5034 now has nearly 140 co-sponsors and is scheduled for debate on 9/29. Apparently, retailers are being denied an advocate to speak on their behalf.

Guys, this could seriously be the end of shipping wine and liquor. For us folks in flyover country, this is very bad and it will just kill the current business model of many fine wine producers.

My Rep. (Sam Johnson) is one of the co-sponsors. Just sent him a note on this via his website.

Tonight's selection is a 2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot d'Alsace. Picked up a couple of bottles in a mixed case I got at the wine store today. Nice flavor of pears. Good acidity. Pretty hot alcohol on the back end (13.5%). Had it on sale for about $14 or so I think, but when I checked my receipt after I got home, they only charged me $7 a bottle for it. Pretty damn good at that price.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Mark, thanks for sending the note. I think we are all heavily invested in this.

Had another 07 Stephania Santa Cruz Mountains PN. So good. Cherry cola, mocha, coffee and fruit.

9. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

2001 Arnaldo Caprai Sagrantino de Montefalco Collepiano. Sagrantino is generally so tannic it will take the enamel off your teeth, but this, at nine years old and decanted for three hours is singing. Nice acidity, tannins in balance, with a good core of fruit, with a little dirt. Nice wine.

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

The second and equally meh from this appellation I've had in the past couple of weeks. Alcohol in favour of fruit.

[​IMG]

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

what is this allocation?

Merry Edwards.

By the way guys, I fucking love my job. [​IMG]

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

The SB was a spring allocation, brah.

SB is abbreviation for...? ty

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

By the way guys, I fucking love my job. [​IMG]
    is this the one at the big A?
    SB is abbreviation for...? ty
    Sauvignon Blanc. One of the few things we abbreviate here.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Sauvignon Blanc. One of the few things we abbreviate here.

ty, sometimes you don't see the wood cause of all the trees.

it's a popular grape in styria. a lot of grassy elements in it.

most common abbr. "here" is GV for Grüner Veltliner.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yesterday teh GF and I decided that we could use a lounge-ish type chair for our living room. We ended up getting one of these in the chaise/lounge setup. Very exciting.

And we celebrated with this:
    [​IMG]

17. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Tonight's selection is a 2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot d'Alsace. Picked up a couple of bottles in a mixed case I got at the wine store today. Nice flavor of pears. Good acidity. Pretty hot alcohol on the back end (13.5%). Had it on sale for about $14 or so I think, but when I checked my receipt after I got home, they only charged me $7 a bottle for it. Pretty damn good at that price.

My favorite Alsacian producer along with Domaine Weinbach. Zind-Humbrecht has an enormous range and some of their single vineyard pinot gris and gewurtz are well suited to aging.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

2007 La Selva Prima Causa Toscana

http://www.laselva-bio.eu/Prima-Caus...tail=41127&L=2

I received a freebie introductory box from La Selva for our Restaurant last week with a bottle of this wine included and ordered some more without batting an eyelash... [​IMG]

biodynamic, no?

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Kyle, glad to hear you're enjoying the new job. [​IMG]

Everyone, please email about the bill to be discussed next week. We need to stop this and it appears the distributors have purchased their legislation ahead of time.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Kyle, glad to hear you're enjoying the new job. [​IMG]

Everyone, please email about the bill to be discussed next week. We need to stop this and it appears the distributors have purchased their legislation ahead of time.

Use some of that foie money to buy a few of your own!