1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Held an event this evening for a number of peers etc... killed a case of 2005 Jordan cab. [​IMG]

How did you like it? I'm a fan of their Chardonnay.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Speak of the devil, just got my allocation letter today.
    No SB, No Coopersmith, No olivet. 2 of everything else. WTF? That seems strange.

what is this allocation?

3. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

Making Paella for some friends tomorrow (not my first choice but I needed something that could accomadate a couple of vegetarians easily), thinking of a Rioja from Spain for a red, but I need a white as well, thoughts?

4. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Making Paella for some friends tomorrow (not my first choice but I needed something that could accomadate a couple of vegetarians easily), thinking of a Rioja from Spain for a red, but I need a white as well, thoughts?

A nice Albarino or Verdejo would compliment the Paella nicely. I also like a nice TorrontÃ[​IMG]s.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

delayed update of sorts. Wednesday night me and a few others were supposed to go to this, but we were a little behind, and it was stormy out so getting a cab and then the ferry to Jersey would have been a pain. There were 7 of us and an unexpected rain makes people dart into restaurants so getting a last minute table is usually tough at the good spots. Instead, we just sent a txt to Scott Conant who opened up a table for us at Scarpetta (he wasn't there but made sure it happened anyways).

the wine - a very good Valpolicella. I forget the name (somebody else ordered it), but we had a few bottles for the table. I'm sometimes 50-50 on Valpolicella (at times I don't find it to be consistent enough, there can be a huge variety of styles), but this was well balanced and ideal for all of the dishes we ordered.

and we ordered many dishes, all of which we just threw in the middle and picked at.
    Starters:
    EGGPLANT CAPONATA
    BURRATA - heirloom tomatoes & baby greens
    CREAMY POLENTA - fricassee of truffled mushrooms (this must have been made by Jesus)
    CRISPY FRITTO MISTO
    MOZZARELLA IN CAROZZA - stewed baby tomatoes
    BRAISED SHORT RIBS OF BEEF - vegetable & farro risotto
    CAULIFLOWER PANNA COTTA - uni, ostera caviar, truffles

pasta:
    SPAGHETTI - tomato & basil
    TAGLIATELLE - spring vegetables, guanciale & truffle zabaglione
    BLACK TAGLIOLINI - mixed seafood, sea urchin & minted bread crumbs
    DUCK & FOIE GRAS RAVIOLI - marsala reduction
    extra: a red beet ravioli with pistachios

mains:
    BLACK COD - caramelized fennel & concentrated tomatoes
    SICILIAN-SPICED DUCK BREAST - preserved orange, root vegetables & caramelized endive
    HAMPSHIRE PORK CHOP - braised radicchio, long beans & gnocchi alla romana
    extra: plus some other pork dish, something with the loin (also fantastic)

sweets:
    AMEDEI CHOCOLATE CAKE - burnt orange-caramel gelato, espresso sauce
    BANANA BUDINO - pecan gelato & oat tuile
    plus two extra chocolate courses that were incredibly good (not on the menu, a shame for everybody except our table)

then we finished the night with some fantastic grappa. An excellent time [​IMG]

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dont understand what's pretentious about it

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i dont understand what's pretentious about it

lets look further into the definition:

Pretentious a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

My claims were not unjustified or excessive, but the amount of food certainly was.

I think this is a better example and can lend some clarity to the definition:
    Wow. What a pretentious twat you are.

I think this can also be explain by a further example:
    Jealous a : hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what the hell is with you? is there something wrong with him telling us he ate with, i think, daniel boulud?

buzz off

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Name dropping is gauche. Doing it as much as twatty is what it is. Talk to me when you grow a few hairs on your balls. Bzzzzzzzzzz. Bzzzzzzzzzz.
    it's gauche because u say its gauche? ur like the typical sf anti elitist. im the anti anti elitist. im way ahead of you on the curve. havent you heard yet? it's "in" to hate on ppl who hate on gauche

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

indesertum, did you have wine class on Wed?

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Wow. What a pretentious twat you are.

Jealous of what, exactly? Your mad skillz as a name dropping twat? Yeah, that's right, twat.

Name dropping is gauche. Doing it as much as twatty is what it is. Talk to me when you grow a few hairs on your balls. Bzzzzzzzzzz. Bzzzzzzzzzz.

Foolish sock puppet is foolish.

Just ignore it.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

indesertum, did you have wine class on Wed?
    i did. last week was america. only memorable ones i had were the herman j weimer riesling and and oregon pinot. cant find tasting notes. this week was loire and alsace. trimbach riesling and cheverny sauvignon blanc were winners. cheverny is near sancerre and pouilly and makes similar style, but less $$. the trimbach gewurtz stunk of lychee. delicious, but too sweet after the first drink. kinda like pepsi. also i found i really like the leaner style of riesling more. wiemer was excellent, but again kinda like pepsi. lots and lots of fruit. delicious at first, but prlly to overwhelmign later ill post links when i get a chance cant wait for burgundy

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm a big Loire white fan. Cheverny can be tough to find, but I've really liked the few bottles I've had.

And Wiemer is consistently one of my favroites. The dry riesling is what I usually pick up in quantity, great balance and zippy acidity. Not overly fruity for me, either.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

very acidic no doubt and id drink this with a lot of dishes, but i like the leaner loire style much more. the cheveryny honest to god tasted kinda like green piss or something. most delicious pisslike drink i've had

15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I could freebase Chablis.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Got another Scarecrow letter. I will get an allocation or M Etain but it doesn't say how many nor the price.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

so they say you will get something - but it might be their second label even though you've purchased the first label in the past?

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

so they say you will get something - but it might be their second label even though you've purchased the first label in the past?

This mailing is only about their second label. It's supposed to be out soon.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

wait - did you mean to say "allocation of" instead of "allocation or"?

note - I didz poast 7,000 in this thread, I'll drink to that later.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Now I see. Yeah, allocation of.

Friggin' stomach is kicking up. Not only did it ruin my golfing plans today, I was going to crack one of those boutique Cabs the owner of AP Vin released last year.