1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who is Adrian Adria? Is this like Kris Kristofferson?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who is Adrian Adria? Is this like Kris Kristofferson?

I think he means Ferran Adria, the chef/owner of El Bullli.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my error, Albert Adria actually. Ferran's brother, I think he does a lot of the pastry stuff at El Bulli.

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

2004 Leon Barral Faugeres, the Jadis bottling. A blend of red Rhone varietals from the Languedoc. A big, rustic wine that brings the funk/ass in a big, but good way. I am a big fan of this producer and his wines always remind me why I love wine. It can be a monolithic fruit monster when young, but broadens out into something far more interesting with age. Still a nice core of fruit, firm acids, and the aforementioned funk.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Having another, and probably my last, bottle of that "feinherb" Riesling. So good.

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

What a revelation - 2004 Merry Edwards Klopp Ranch pinot noir. Just a stunning and mouthwatering wine. We had it with roast pork loin and the first chanterelles of the season. Cannot find this wine in Canadia but was lucky enough to find a bottle in LA last week.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What a revelation - 2004 Merry Edwards Klopp Ranch pinot noir. Just a stunning and mouthwatering wine. We had it with roast pork loin and the first chanterelles of the season. Cannot find this wine in Canadia but was lucky enough to find a bottle in LA last week.

Sadly, if I remember right, she will not be making wine from that vineyard anymore. Pretty sure that's what we were told at her winery last year.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Yep. Truly great wine.
    Sadly, if I remember right, she will not be making wine from that vineyard anymore. Pretty sure that's what we were told at her winery last year.
    Wat. We weren't told that, and there haven't been any emails about it or anything. Although we were told that she would be upping/restarting her Chard production, so she may slow down w/ Klopp in order to maintain integrity while adding the Chard. Sad to hear though, Klopp Ranch was one of her better offerings.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

rain made me not want to go to Jersey for some food event.

Instead, we cleaned out Scarpetta. Deets to come later.

10. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Had a 2007 Benziger Syrah tonite. North Coast appellation (Sonoma, I guess) Really nice and quite complex for a sub 20 bottle. Excellent finish.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yep. Truly great wine.

Wat. We weren't told that, and there haven't been any emails about it or anything. Although we were told that she would be upping/restarting her Chard production, so she may slow down w/ Klopp in order to maintain integrity while adding the Chard. Sad to hear though, Klopp Ranch was one of her better offerings.

I'm pretty sure it was Klopp, but 100% sure we were told she's ceasing production with a certain vineyard. Maybe Olivet?

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

MOTHER**@**$((#)#*@*@

I will be getting no KB single vineyards this fall [​IMG]

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

soooo you can buy some single vineyard Burgs!

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

soooo you can buy some single vineyard Burgs!

Come end of October, beginning of November, I'll be paying attention to the emails I get from places like Zachy's and KL.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'm pretty sure it was Klopp, but 100% sure we were told she's ceasing production with a certain vineyard. Maybe Olivet?

Speak of the devil, just got my allocation letter today.
    No SB, No Coopersmith, No olivet. 2 of everything else. WTF? That seems strange.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Speak of the devil, just got my allocation letter today.
    No SB, No Coopersmith, No olivet. 2 of everything else. WTF? That seems strange.

The SB was a spring allocation, brah. Mine just didn't ship as it was too hot by the time I got home from vacation in April. I'll update when I check my mail tonight or tomorrow.

Hey, you want to try some SB I was impressed with? Peterson Winery, Zero Manipulation SB. They're in that bunch of wineries/tasting rooms on the right side of the road that heads north out of Healdsburg, past that country store on the right.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

The SB was a spring allocation, brah. Mine just didn't ship as it was too hot by the time I got home from vacation in April. I'll update when I check my mail tonight or tomorrow.

Hey, you want to try some SB I was impressed with? Peterson Winery, Zero Manipulation SB. They're in that bunch of wineries/tasting rooms on the right side of the road that heads north out of Healdsburg, past that country store on the right.

Hmmm..... Dry Creek General Store? That is heading northwest out of town on Dry Creek Road. Cool store too. Very small, but interesting.. I don't think I ever saw Peterson. Or was it up toward Geyserville, which is north?

BTW, how did I not buy some of my spring allocated SB? I'm thinking I must not have gotten it. WTF.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, that sounds right, Dry Creek Road. So past the store, on the right (heading out of town) is this cluster of tasting rooms and wineries. You have to go up this steep and long driveway. I sought out Peterson as Fred had been at a vintner's dinner we attended (actually was seated at his table). I'm not a big fan of most of his wines, but the Zero Manip SB was good.

Here we go; might ring a bell for you now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Hm. That is so weird. I have been up and down that road tasting probably 30-40 times, all the way from Hburg to up the trails past Lake Sonoma, and never remember seeing Peterson, even though that sign (the first pic) looks familiar. But the cluster and the sign in the third pic doesn't. How strange it is how our memories work. BTW, if you ever find yourself back in Sonoma, PLZ try Kokomo Winery. They were probably one of my top 5 producers I tasted while living in CA.

20. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Held an event this evening for a number of peers etc... killed a case of 2005 Jordan cab. [​IMG]