• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
do you know what a ***** it is to get to JFK? At rush hour? Between the time to get there, the $60 taxi ride, the massive security check.

My private jet will be leaving from Teterboro if you want to join.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can land in my back yard.
wink.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sequel, Burrowing Owl and Seghesio I've commented on before. The Bordeaux we saved for tonite. Any ideas on decanting/what to expect with this Bordeaux? Thx

lineup.jpg

This Syrah was not good, with an unpleasant bitterness permeating the back end.

mcmanis.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had two Chards last night, while slurping oysters on the half shell, grilled shrimp, and cerviche.

The first was an 07 Chateau Montelena. This was my first taste of wine from this venerable producer and I can see why the French judges liked it. A very restrained and layered wine. A little toasted pine nuts, a little pineapple, and a very long mineral finish that we both thought was reminiscent of our recent Didier (just the mineral finish, nothing else).

Second was an 07 INOX Chehalem. Made in 100% stainless steel. A light wine, lots of acid and went well with the crab and drawn butter of our entree. I'm not a fan of stainless steel Chards. IMO, it reflects the US tendency to swing to extremes. A little oak is nice. We're in a swing from oak monsters to zero oak.
frown.gif

ryansmith

Reaction score
Beautiful day outside. Someone in the neighborhood is blasting a Madonna hits record, which I'm not mad at.

Drinking a 2006 clos marsalette

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryansmith
Beautiful day outside.

yes it is. Marvelous outside. Spent the morning lounging at the park, got some sushi for lunch, quick stop in midtown (GF wanted some shoes, but just had to get Chanel
ffffuuuu.gif
), then a stop at the store to pick up a rack of lamb for dinner tonight. Will have a Pecorino DOC white and a yet to be determined red, perhaps a Burg.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chateau.jpg
Decanted for 90 minutes. A blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc. Nice colour. Pretty good with food, but not enough fruit and too much alcohol. Not for me. $30.00 Edit: Just checked Vaynerchuck's review of the '01 after I drunk the damn thing! 'A garbage wine. No character. Like paper'. Pretty accurate. The approachable, delicious, drinking-now Bordeaux search continues.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a few friends over to the house tonight to watch the Kentucky Derby. Mainly it was about the mint juleps and cold beer, but my "interest" wanted to open some wine, so we opened another bottle of the 2004 Shafer Relentless. Oooohhh baby! I just love this wine. Wish it weren't so pricey, but I understand why it is. Still have three or four bottles of this left. Need to pace myself, because if I don't it'll be gone by the end of the week.

Also opened up a bottle of the 2004 Rosemount Balmoral Syrah since one of the guests mentioned that she was a fan of their entry level syrahs. I think it was good, but after a couple of beers, a mint julep and a couple of glasses of Shafer, my judgment isn't quite where it should be. I do know that it pales in comparison to the Shafer, but then its the difference between an $80 and a $25 wine.

ryansmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
The approachable, delicious, drinking-now Bordeaux search continues.
The bottle I'm having right now, Ch. Clos Marsalette (Pessac-LÃ
00a9.png
ognan), can be had for 25 or less if you can get it in your area. FWIW, Parker gave the 06 a 90.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Popped an 08 Turley, Juvenile. Very nice and easy drinking. A little peppery spice, a little jam, very tasty.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bottle I'm having right now, Ch. Clos Marsalette (Pessac-LÃ
00a9.png
ognan), can be had for 25 or less if you can get it in your area. FWIW, Parker gave the 06 a 90.

Cheers, Ryan.

ryansmith

Reaction score
So, I promised my gf's dad I'd help him out with something in Queens either Tues or Wed .
Tuesday - Complimentary Tasting of Château Brane-Cantenac, Margaux, 2nd Grand Cru ClassÃ
00a9.png
(Bordeaux) and meet Proprietor Mr. Henri Lurton
Wed - Meet Bo Barrett, Winemaker and Proprietor of Chateau Montelena for a free tasting

Which of these should I attend?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of Kermit Lynch, here is one of his gems:

1994 Domaine de la Done Terret Blanc:

"A simple little dry white. Good mouth rinse.

(P.S. When I tasted this in France I thought, My God, for the price this isn't bad at all, and everything else in the same range is flawed rotgut or rotmouth or throat pain, so I ordered a bunch of it and then like a nightmare I realized that no one knows what a Terret is, even whether it is white or red or dry or sweet, and how will I sell it now that I've got it. So I decided to score it 92. Then I humbly thought, no, well, maybe 91. Then I tasted it with a pumpkin/fennel soup and wanted to give it a 96. Then I had this bizarre urge to give it a 97.778. Oh hell, I thought, why not round it off to a 100 and sell it all in a day? But then I realized that no one would believe me and at my age I do not need a credibility gap. 'Mouth rinse' avoids any credibility gap.Some people only want to drink wines that provide a mind-boggling, quasi-orgasmic Experience, but for those of you who know what I mean by mouth rinse, here's a good one.)"

'Mouth rinse' avoids any credibility gap.
laugh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
So, I promised my gf's dad I'd help him out with something in Queens either Tues or Wed .
Tuesday - Complimentary Tasting of Château Brane-Cantenac, Margaux, 2nd Grand Cru ClassÃ
00a9.png
(Bordeaux) and meet Proprietor Mr. Henri Lurton
Wed - Meet Bo Barrett, Winemaker and Proprietor of Chateau Montelena for a free tasting

Which of these should I attend?

Both. You'll help out on Monday or Thursday. If forced, the first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads