The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Sitting here writing but thinking of the Sequel Syrah, Burrowing Owl Meritage, and Gigondas were are having for a wine and cheese tonite. Friends are bringing a McManus and a Chateauneuf.

Should be fun.

You're all invited.

2. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Sitting here writing but thinking of the Sequel Syrah, Burrowing Owl Meritage, and Gigondas were are having for a wine and cheese tonite. Friends are bringing a McManus and a Chateauneuf.

Should be fun.

You're all invited.

Sounds great! What time! I'll bring the Diamant Bleu 99!

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

thx for the 6 hour notice on a 12 hour drive

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    as far as sideways, we'll just have to agree to disagree. i will say that part of my reaction might be due to 25 years of nonstop exposure to wine geeks. i'm fascinated by wine myself, and i love it, but there's a point where sensual appreciation becomes obsessiveness (and here I am saying that on a clothing forum ... go figure). when wine fans become like baseball fans, time to hit the door. and when miles is talking about wines, i had the distinct feeling he was quoting from a newsletter, not giving an honest reaction (hence the no merlot remark). but, as i said, we'll just have to agree to disagree because i have loathed almost everything alexander payne has ever made. to me, he's a cheap cynic. YMMV

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

...and when miles is talking about wines, i had the distinct feeling he was quoting from a newsletter, not giving an honest reaction ...

Proably accurate. Every time he speaks a literary passage it turns out he's just quoting something someone else wrote. Not much of a writer.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i will say that part of my reaction might be due to 25 years of nonstop exposure to wine geeks.
    oof, we keep a good vibe here, but I've seen the not so good vibe of the wine world. Do not want.
    there's a point where sensual appreciation becomes obsessiveness (and here I am saying that on a clothing forum ... go figure). when wine fans become like baseball fans, time to hit the door.
    sadly, I see this now with coffee fans. And BBQ fans (hello other thread).

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Proably accurate. Every time he speaks a literary passage it turns out he's just quoting something someone else wrote. Not much of a writer.

something I only picked up on recently. And part of the reason why I liked the movie, it's multi-layered.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

as far as sideways, we'll just have to agree to disagree. i will say that part of my reaction might be due to 25 years of nonstop exposure to wine geeks. i'm fascinated by wine myself, and i love it, but there's a point where sensual appreciation becomes obsessiveness (and here I am saying that on a clothing forum ... go figure). when wine fans become like baseball fans, time to hit the door. and when miles is talking about wines, i had the distinct feeling he was quoting from a newsletter, not giving an honest reaction (hence the no merlot remark). but, as i said, we'll just have to agree to disagree because i have loathed almost everything alexander payne has ever made. to me, he's a cheap cynic. YMMV
    It is because of this sentiment that I suggest everybody on this thread watch the WLTV episode with Kermit Lynch. He talks about the same "tasting" issue quite a bit.

9. Piobaire

It is because of this sentiment that I suggest everybody on this thread watch the WLTV episode with Kermit Lynch. He talks about the same "tasting" issue quite a bit.

I watched part one last night, hope to watch part two tonight. I couldn't find part two from the TiVo youtube interface but see it's on youtube proper.

Interesting guy. I like he started off with 5k borrowed from his girl friend. [​IMG]

Btw, watching the Loring episodes Gome, while sipping a Loring [​IMG]

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

his anti-Parker and anti new world style Rhones sentiment is ripe.

Btw, watching the Loring episodes Gome, while sipping a Loring [​IMG]
    it's it like 9 am where you are? And a work day? Am I missing something?

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

his anti-Parker and anti new world style Rhones sentiment is ripe.

Definitely on the second, which is why I have mentioned that it is worth searching out the 2007 Rhones from his producers. In Ep 3 the will taste the Pallieres Les Racines. Pallieres is a vineyard he part owns with the people from Vieux Telegraphe, and the wines are phenomenal. I am interested in the tasting of that and the Cherisey, since I bought a case of each.

His relationship with Parker is odd. From what I understand, there is a lot of respect, and there were a few very bitter episodes.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i had the distinct feeling he was quoting from a newsletter

"tighter than a nun's ass"

13. Piobaire

it's it like 9 am where you are? And a work day? Am I missing something?

Meant to say "watched." I wish I was home sipping wine though.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Climat? Terroir? Evocative of place? Which ever term or buzz word suits your sensabilities best, it certaily fits this wine without a doubt! I had a fairly nerve racking day leading up to the cracking open of this bottle; it was Monday and I was called into the office of the Sr. VP to discuss my place in the company and where I might fit in in the future. So, I got home, unsure of my security and needed to find some inner peace; return to a place where I was happy relaxed and in love. So I opened up my bottle of the 2007, Erna Schein, "Spare Me" Cabernet! I let it decant for about and an half before I sat down with the first glass.

[​IMG]

I swirled. I sniffed. Instantly I was transported back to that very happy place a top the mountains, sitting in the vintage Westcraft trailer. I could smell the rain and mist, the trees the rain soaked gravel, the stone walls. I was content.

[​IMG]

Though I feel it was a tad young and could have sat for another several years it was still drinking quite well with lush aromas of dark berries (plum and black cherries), cherry cola (or was it Dr. Pepper?), fresh cracked black pepper, mineral (wet river rocks) and toasty oak notes mingling together in a beautiful bouque that seemed to last forever and set up the senses for an equally complex and structured palate swirling with black cherry and plum flavours accented with hints of anise, dark chocolate and swirls of cherry compote filling. The tannins were softening up but still integrated enough to avoid being astringent and helped kick off the long finish the added just a hint of cherry tart acidity.

[​IMG]

I suppose that I felt a slight twinge of regret opening her up so soon after she arrived but wine, after all, is meant to be consumed and enjoyed, which she was! And, now that I'll be making a bit more money, I'll be able to buy some more!