• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
It's in the middle of nowhere- that was the knock on it when I was growing up in the region. The Tri-Cities more than Walla Walla, but the whole area is the channeled scab lands. Even now you can see the vineyards from orbit as great circles in the desert.

That is the reason for the disconnect between the vineyards and the winerys- no one from a coast or a city wanted to actually live there. As near as I can tell, what happened was that the farmers became winemakers, and they liked living where they did.

That, plus Walla Walla got nicer, and some dedicated non-locals really did decide to move out near the vines. These days- I haven't been there in a million years, so I really don't know. I'll be interesting to hear what you think after you visit.

Another idea, if you have curiosity in geology, is to read up on the Missoula flood that created the channeled scab lands at the end of the last Ice Age; apparently, this also created the best vineyard land. The terrain is actually very exotic.

Wow, great info, James. Cheers.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryansmith
What's the name of this place?

Pogo's wines in Inwood Village.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Roughly 5k posts in this thread now, and Gome has 1.1k of them, followed by me with a little over 800.

I have to add a few things about last night's wine.

First, it was only 13% but the nose was distinctly hot. I think it has to do with Frenchie "hang time" vs. New World. Thoughts?

Second, the tannins. Far stronger than what I usually get in New World. Now, it was a nearly 50/50 blend of Cab/Merlot, with just a few % of Cab Franc. Very plush taste but lingering tannins. I wonder if this strong tanin/plush fruit is, at least partially, a function of the blend? I'm so use to New World stuff that is usually >95% single varietal, often 100%.

Last, minerality. Much more than I expect in New World wines. I liked.

tricota

Reaction score
Well tomorow is a holliday, so I thought I might open a bottle for dinner.

I think I went a bit outside the recomendations you guys made last week, but I chose an Italian Amarone. More specificly a Castel Forte amarone della Valpolicelle 2006. I hope that is the right title. It was on sale at around 17$, so I had to give it a go.

Having heard a lot a about the amarone over the years, I was for some reason expecting a quite powerful wine, but that was not that case with this. Perhaps that is not that case with Amarone at all, in that case forgive me. I had a glass while making diner and it was very nice a fruity. A bit of a hint of my morning "dark berry fruit juice". I didnt really held up that well with my dinner (steaks, veggies, dressing), which was a bit disapointing, as that was the reason I chose that, over a Resteau Cotes du Rhone that I also bought. Anywho I did find it a bit weak with dinner, though it did help to serve it in a round wine glass and gibe a a good swirl...Now that dinner is over, and it is again on its own, I find it very nice. The dark fruit has returned and it is holding its own.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You didn't pick up the distinct taste of raisins?

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You didn't pick up the distinct taste of raisins?

Oh I did, though that goes under the dark berry that I was thinking off. Its the whole, almost Glogg like thing that I am getting. Dark berries, rasins, spices, liqoric etc...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah- I'd never call Amarone a "powerful" wine that I'd expect to hold up to heavier foods. A really good amarone with plenty of that hung on until the first snowfall then dried some more raisininess...
laugh.gif
I think of as more of a post-dinner option... not a scotch by any means but I choose it that way.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Yeah- I'd never call Amarone a "powerful" wine that I'd expect to hold up to heavier foods. A really good amarone with plenty of that hung on until the first snowfall then dried some more raisininess...
laugh.gif
I think of as more of a post-dinner option... not a scotch by any means but I choose it that way.

Well, when you are new at wine, you sometime misunderstand things. From what I read about the wine and also amarone, I though it would be a great wine for dinner. But if that is a typical Amarone, then it is clearly a "post-dinner" wine, as you mentioned...Or a no-food wine...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Roughly 5k posts in this thread now, and Gome has 1.1k of them, followed by me with a little over 800.

I'd like the majority of my posts to be in this single thread.

First, it was only 13% but the nose was distinctly hot. I think it has to do with Frenchie "hang time" vs. New World. Thoughts?
Perhaps the heavier fruit focus of many in the New World helps to mask true ABV. Look at Zin for an example.

But also, the wine could have just been a little off balance and the alcohol came through. And it says 13%, but it could legally be 14%.

Second, the tannins. Far stronger than what I usually get in New World. Now, it was a nearly 50/50 blend of Cab/Merlot, with just a few % of Cab Franc. Very plush taste but lingering tannins. I wonder if this strong tanin/plush fruit is, at least partially, a function of the blend? I'm so use to New World stuff that is usually >95% single varietal, often 100%.
I wouldn't equate it to the blend but rather production techniques and even climactic factors unique to Bordeaux. You'll find big tannin structure in any quality Bordeaux regardless if it's 100% Merlot, 100% Cab, or any blend in between. This is where decanting when young can really be beneficial and the same reason why they age so well.

Last, minerality. Much more than I expect in New World wines. I liked.
I love Bordeaux for that classic graphite bite of minerality (though Margaux will be more perfumed).

Originally Posted by tricota
It was on sale at around 17$, so I had to give it a go.

Having heard a lot a about the amarone over the years, I was for some reason expecting a quite powerful wine, but that was not that case with this.

the problem is the price. Amarone that cheap is very suspect as making this wine is not an inexpensive or easy process. The grapes were problably the stragglers from the bigger wines while the oak treatment likely wasn't proper. I don't drink much Amarone due to the price of admission and the likely results if the price isn't high enough.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

the problem is the price. Amarone that cheap is very suspect as making this wine is not an inexpensive or easy process. The grapes were problably the stragglers from the bigger wines while the oak treatment likely wasn't proper. I don't drink much Amarone due to the price of admission and the likely results if the price isn't high enough.

Normal price was 27, so I thought it would work. But Thanks for the advice, I was a bit iffy on the whole amarone thing, but I just had to try it.

What price would a good Amarone start at...?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
Normal price was 27, so I thought it would work. But Thanks for the advice, I was a bit iffy on the whole amarone thing, but I just had to try it.

What price would a good Amarone start at...?

For $30 and under I usually stick with Valpolicella Ripasso. For Amarone, I personally would look for $50+

Pricey, but when it's good, it's really good.

tricota

Reaction score
For $30 and under I usually stick with Valpolicella Ripasso. For Amarone, I personally would look for $50+

Pricey, but when it's good, it's really good.

Alright, I will look into that. 50 $ a bit high, but okay for a weekly wine. I will probably drink more of it, but will have to look out for the good stuff...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd like the majority of my posts to be in this single thread.

Perhaps the heavier fruit focus of many in the New World helps to mask true ABV. Look at Zin for an example.

But also, the wine could have just been a little off balance and the alcohol came through. And it says 13%, but it could legally be 14%.

I wouldn't equate it to the blend but rather production techniques and even climactic factors unique to Bordeaux. You'll find big tannin structure in any quality Bordeaux regardless if it's 100% Merlot, 100% Cab, or any blend in between. This is where decanting when young can really be beneficial and the same reason why they age so well.

I love Bordeaux for that classic graphite bite of minerality (though Margaux will be more perfumed).

Does the fruit come from hang time though? I think so, as well as production methods. And the tannins get more mellow with increased hang time, no? I sort of know some answers to most of those questions, just sort of musing. We did decant, but it didn't really open up much nor did the tannins go down. There was just plain less fruit, which is how the wine was designed to be no doubt, but wondering about some of the other factors.

It was distinctly different than my usual New World stuff, and also far less expensive. Quite drinkable just really different. Reminded me of an iron fist in a velvet glove.

Amarones...I'm had some strong ones! A Gasso comes to mind. Really an enjoyable wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No, literally the time the grape can hang on the vine. Growing seaons are much longer in the New World (of course) and I believe this leads to a distinctly different tasting grape vs. Old World.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads