The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I'd serve a dry Riesling with it. That should have just enough sugar to meld with the inherent sweetness of liver without being too oaky.

tricky, maybe an Alsatian Pinot Gris or a dry riesling?

I'm certain this is too late. I would say you need a Sauvignon without the gooseberryishness. In other words, a nice Gruner.

Had a Saint-Aubin Premier Cru from Colin-Morey. Went very well the the super traditional Burgundian dish.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I recall foie, but not the Moscato and foie. And I also remember of the 10 or 11 or 12 or whatever wines you had, only 2 were from the US

That's some crazy ass memory you've got.

Got the prices from the somm today. 07 Silex for $78, 07 Pur Sang for $65, and 07 Pouilly Fume for $45. I'm thinking of doing one of each, to be enjoyed relatively soon, then maybe going back for a second of whichever I liked best.
    Any thoughts?

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG] Medoc $35 60% Cabernet Sauvignon 35% Merlot 5% Cabernet Franc Gorgeous colour with a little rustic nose. Hints of oak (but not too much), dark fruit, and an interesting minerality that gave the rustic 'flavour'. Not Brueghel rustic, but more a youthful, country vigour. Luscious and tactile in the swirl, acid and tannins in fair structure and balance, with the tannins giving a slightly dry finish on the back end. A very pleasant wine to drink in the company of a beautiful woman and paired with ComptÃ[​IMG] and Montgomery Cheddar on Carr's water biscuits.

4. audiophilia

I was in the LCBO and was faced with a wall of Italian reds. I wanted to grab one for dinner last night but was overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge and courage, let alone the grapes and appelations. The thread recommended (Johnny and Gome, I think) Le Volte. Only the 2007 was available, which by all accounts here was inferior to the '06. I still enjoyed it but did not rock my socks, although the rec was very much appreciated. My only other Italians since we began drinking wine regularly were some Ripassos and an inexpensive Tedeschi Amarone, which, with the requisite 72,000 hour decant, was very nice. As such, if anybody can be arsed, would you be so kind to recommend some Italians that we can get in the LCBO that would come in between $25-50 (I know a good Amarone will be more expensive). It would be very much appreciated. Anything you think balanced that interests you would be great. I have been boning up on terms such as Piedmont, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan, Veneto, Chianti Classico, etc. Only 30,000 words to go. Cheers, a

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I was in the LCBO and was faced with a wall of Italian reds.

This Brunello. It's an 04, which many said would not be a great year... but some of these have really come on, and for the price. Worth a shot.

Fontalloro

6. audiophilia

Cheers, bud. Will do. Much appreciated. I'm just lost where Italians are concerned. Looking to begin my education.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Had a Saint-Aubin Premier Cru from Colin-Morey. Went very well the the super traditional Burgundian dish.

Very nice wine, I've had a few vintages of St. Aubin from this producer. Excellent value as well.

Any thoughts?

No need to think. Brilliant prices.

As such, if anybody can be arsed, would you be so kind to recommend some Italians that we can get in the LCBO that would come in between $25-50 (I know a good Amarone will be more expensive). It would be very much appreciated. Anything you think balanced that interests you would be great.

I have been boning up on terms such as Piedmont, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Super Tuscan, Veneto, Chianti Classico, etc. Only 30,000 words to go. Cheers, a

I'll check through it later and see what's up.

It's an 04, which many said would not be a great year... but some of these have really come on, and for the price. Worth a shot.

2004 is a magnificent year in Tuscany! Among the very best in the past 15-20 years.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Six, 08 DuMOL pending delivery. Three RRV PN and three RRV Syrah. I suspect you Euro-philes would like DuMOL. Six pack of Kosta-Browne shipping Monday [​IMG] So sad I won't be able to share this with friends/family in Ontario, as Vintages has squat of good Left Coast wine. [​IMG]

9. audiophilia

I'll check through it later and see what's up.

Very much appreciated.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

It is hard to go wrong with wine from the same region as your meal.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

2004 is a magnificent year in Tuscany! Among the very best in the past 15-20 years.

Agreed - many thought the brunello's would be a miss compared to the previous couple of years and in comparison to the late 90's - but I've had a couple of truly remarkable bottles.

I didn't sse much on that site that I knew all that well and some of it was pretty average.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Audio,

I picked a few that have great value and that I particularly enjoy.

Castello Romitorio Morellino di Scansano 2007
    This particular wine drinks rather well young. Morellino is a Sangiovese based wine from a village in the south of Tuscany called Scansano. Drinks particularly well young.

Ruffino Modus 2006. This is a really nice Tuscan blend mostly Sangiovese with some cabernet and merlot. Give it a good decant.

Pio Cesare Barbera D'alba. Barbera D'alba is a fantastic food wine, and the varietal is one of the most planted in Italy. This particular Barbera comes from Piedmont (the same region where white truffles come from) and Pio Cesare is a very well respected producer who puts out some great Barbaresco and Barolo. This also got 92 points from Wine Spectator.

Campaccio Terrabianca 2004
    A blend of 70% Sangiovese and 30% Merlot. 2004 was a great vintage in Italy. 91 points Antonio Galloni.

Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Barbaresco 2003

13. audiophilia

Many thanks, Johnny. With CGs and yours (and hopefully some Gomepicks), they should keep me going for a while.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Will post more later but had an amazing dinner last night at the River Cafe in Brooklyn. First course was Fois Gras Two Ways paired with Nicolas Reserve Sauternes. Un-freaking-believable pairing. Had the rack of lamb for dinner. Sommelier was very helpful. We wound up selecting a 2002 Charmes-Chamberlain (Grand Cru) burgundy in honor of Manton. Wow! What a nice wine.

More later!

15. audiophilia

sounds divine. love that place