• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I wouldn't let this thread live on w/o the mention of whites anyways.
smile.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I calculated how much we spent on wine this summer, we'll be drinking modest reds for the next few months!
redface.gif

2007 Mitolo Jester Shiraz McLaren Vale

Had several 06s. Has kept its core. Nicely balanced, good fruit, lots of pepper with some lovely oak. CAD$21.00 89/100

jester.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oyster Bay Sauv. Blanc 2008. Holy apples, Batman! Some floral hints rounded it out and was overall enjoyable. Will add to my mental list of nice daily-drinker bottles of SB.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My daily drinker Cab. Nice fruit and balance. Not too layered, but obvious care for a massed produced wine.

CAD$20.00 88/100

jlohr.jpg

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas.

I have a 1997 Solaia that I'll be opening later this evening. How long do you think I should decant it? I'm thinking less than two hours but would be interested in hearing your opinions.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Epic wine right there. I'd let it sit upright for 30 minutes to let the sediment fall to the bottom. Decanting, personally I'd taste upon opening (just because) and then give it 2 hours. If you think it needs more after 2, just give it some more.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Hey fellas.

I have a 1997 Solaia that I'll be opening later this evening. How long do you think I should decant it? I'm thinking less than two hours but would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Oh my. Please let us know how you liked it! Duh! I bet it'll be superb. Enjoy.

As for decanting. I find younger wines need much more time. A 1997 should need no longer than an hour to unwind.

Cheers, a

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A blend of Cab, Merlot, and Gamay. CAD$14.95 87/100 A nice surprise, here. Very young, inexpensive red blend that works as a daily drinker. I've been looking for a sub $15 wine that works in the sense of balance and quality fruit. This has both. It has some character, but considering the year (another crap Ontario vintage, weather wise), it has zero sophistication and layers. The colour is quite light -- almost Pinot-like. Malivoire is one of my favourite Ontario wineries. They make a knockout $25.00 Pinot. This new line of budget reds will suit when $$$ is considered or you just want a nice drinker with dinner.
2008malivoirered.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cloudline Pinot Noir 2007.

Mmmmm, good.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Epic wine right there. I'd let it sit upright for 30 minutes to let the sediment fall to the bottom. Decanting, personally I'd taste upon opening (just because) and then give it 2 hours. If you think it needs more after 2, just give it some more.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
Oh my. Please let us know how you liked it! Duh! I bet it'll be superb. Enjoy.

As for decanting. I find younger wines need much more time. A 1997 should need no longer than an hour to unwind.

Cheers, a

I decided to hold off on the '97 Solaia. I was about to open it but decided against it. Personally, I can't justify drinking it unless the setting is going to be 100% absolutely perfect and my palette is a bit more refined. Instead I went with a 2004 5 Stelle Sfursat.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delicious. I found it interesting because it is a Nebbiolo based wine but done in an Amarone style. I tasted it as soon as I opened it and found it very tannic and alcoholic, but still smooth nonetheless with dark fruit on the nose. Definitely "tight." After, I let it sit in a wide decanter for three hours which made all the difference. There was a lot of fruit (blackberries) and a fair amount of oak but definitely not off-putting.

Overall the wine was extremely well balanced and elegant. It's surprising there is not a greater demand for it but I'm sure it will catch on soon enough putting it on the same level as Amarone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads