The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

had a solid Gavi last night. Was perfect with the soup I made, but I still have a preference for other Italian whites.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

Had a few bottles of 2007 Caymus Special Selection this past weekend. I wasn't nearly as impressed as I thought I'd be. It had great body and mouthfeel, and a fine nose, but its fruit was muddled. Perhaps its just gone into a phase, though usually I think these super-young cabs drink pretty well.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had a few bottles of 2007 Caymus Special Selection this past weekend. I wasn't nearly as impressed as I thought I'd be. It had great body and mouthfeel, and a fine nose, but its fruit was muddled. Perhaps its just gone into a phase, though usually I think these super-young cabs drink pretty well.

You committed vinfanticide, my friend. That's way, way too young to dring a Caymus SS. I have an 03 that I talked myself out of opening, within the last two weeks, just for this reason.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I shall avenge that wine. [​IMG]

2007 cabs from top Napa producers like Caymus are going to need serious time. Like, 10 years minimum.

5. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

What are ppl's thoughts on this one:

2004 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Mountain, California

We have a few bottles at JG and with my discount I could afford a bottle or two.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I shall avenge that wine. [​IMG]

2007 cabs from top Napa producers like Caymus are going to need serious time. Like, 10 years minimum.

I've heard great things about the 2007 vintage, I can't possibly imagine the big ones being anythign close to ready.

7. Manton

What are ppl's thoughts on this one:

2004 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Mountain, California

We have a few bottles at JG and with my discount I could afford a bottle or two.

Great year for CA cab. Though you have to understand that California does not have many bad or even mediocre vintages. They are pretty much all good. A few stand out as above average (with average being quite good). 2004 would be one of those. 2001 and 2007 would be well above average.

Anyway, great year, decent producer, an early maturing wine (as Sonoma cabs tend to be) and so likely drinkable now. I have not had it. Price matters. I love it at $30, like it at $40 and begin to lose interest at $50.

8. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Great year for CA cab. Though you have to understand that California does not have many bad or even mediocre vintages. They are pretty much all good. A few stand out as above average (with average being quite good). 2004 would be one of those. 2001 and 2007 would be well above average.

Anyway, great year, decent producer, an early maturing wine (as Sonoma cabs tend to be) and so likely drinkable now. I have not had it. Price matters. I love it at $30, like it at $40 and begin to lose interest at $50.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I think our instore price is something like $46 and our online price is something like $37 but my discount with put it closer to the $20/$25 range.

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Anyone have thoughts on the 2005 Silver Oak Napa Cabernet? It's coming to my local store this week, trying to figure out whether to grab some.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

boy do I miss the days of 20% off. Sounds like it's worth trying for that price.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Silveroak = [​IMG]

Every time I've had it (tasted 3 different vintages, but only tasting portions) the wine was good, but punched far, FAR below it's weight in terms of price. Typical of a lot of CA Cabs.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Every time I've had it (tasted 3 different vintages, but only tasting portions) the wine was good, but punched far, FAR below it's weight in terms of price. Typical of a lot of CA Cabs.

I have heard this from a few other individuals as well, but please remember that it's your own palate.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I have heard this from a few other individuals as well, but please remember that it's your own palate.

Well if someone asks for thoughts on a wine, I can't really answer for THEIR palate.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

what I mean is Silver Oak is still incredibly popular and well loved by many many individuals. And I didn't mean your palate specifically, rather retro's so our thoughts can be null and void for all intensive purposes.

15. Manton

Silver Oak is a crowd pleasing cab, made in a softer style that its geared toward broading its appeal, much like (say) Jordan. I like it a lot, actually. It will never achieve the heights of a great Napa cab; it just does not have the structure or the tannins. It ages reasonably well for what it is, but 20 years is ancient for one of their wines.

I don't find the price out of whack for what you get, but I have not bought any in a long time.

I will say this: they have two principal bottlings, the Napa Valley and the Alexander Valley. The Napa is always 20% or so more expensive and I have never liked it as much. The SO people apparently think of it is their "flagship" but I think the AV is superior. I have never bought the Napa, but I have tasted it at the winery many times and had a few in restaurants (other people ordered it). Every time I have had a chance to compare both bottlings from the same vintage, I have liked the AV more.

SO is a good wine for people without the patience or the space to age fine CA cabs. It drinks remarkably well when young.