• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The tastings were done with a representative from Louis Jadot. Accordingly, all of the wines were owned by the Jadot portfolio.

First the white Burgundies.

Pouilly Fuisse Domaine Ferret 2007 (owned by Jadot but not the usual Jadot label)
Green apple on the nose with a hint of light citrus. These notes carried through to the palate, but the wine was also very viscous and had really nice acidity. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else to get excited about and a pass at $30

Marsannay Blanc 2006
This wine confused Manton and I, but not necessarily in a bad way. Such a contrast to the first wine, this wine was full of charcoal with some extra stone. Very odd for a white Burgundy like this and it's something that neither of us have really tasted in the past. It's not that we didn't like this wine, it's just a contrast to what we understand to be white burgundy.

Pernand Vergelesses Banc 2007
In contrast to the Marsannay, THIS is instantly recognizable as a Burgundy. It had those classic nutty nuances on the nose and throughout it was delicious. There was crisp green apple and a beautiful (but light) floral essence that helped round this out. Wonderfully balanced too. Awesome job and a bargain at $25. If you want a taste of Burgundy, this is a great start.

Chassagne Montrachet Abbaye de Morgeot 2006
This also delivered with its nuttiness, but it was a little more refined. On the nose the nuttiness was also contrasted with a little bit of oilyness, and I don't think Manton got this but I thought the wine had a really interesting soapy/detergent note. Not strong, but just the freshness perhaps combined with a slight floral touch. On the palate this was not as open as the Pernand Vergelesses but was still very nice. The aftertaste was full of butter, really interesting. However, this is pretty pricey at $76 and I personally liked the Pernand Vergelesses a little bit more.

Bienvenues Batard Montrachet 2007
Really beautiful nose of bright apple and honey. For such a young wine the nose was very forward too with even a touch of flint rock. On the palate, this was awesome: mouthwatering, viscous, powerful, fragrant, balanced. Nothing short of spectacular. The flavors go on and on and the aftertaste is full of a fascinating flint and just a hint of cotton candy (but not sweet). This wine needs time but it rocks now. Awesome job, but super expensive at $400.

The reds:

Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent 2007
This wine had a really great nose. The first thing Manton said was "beef fat!". I see where he is coming from, absolutely, but I need to smell more beef fat to help complete the connection. Also beautiful bouquet of black cherry and cola on the nose. We were excited for the palate ... but this wine ended at the nose. It was way too closed and neither of us got much of anything. Disappointing but perhaps there will be more present than what we had today. $30

Gevrey Chambertin Combe aux Moines 2006
The fruit on the nose here came across very bright ... so much so that it could have fooled me for a California pinot noir in a blind tasting. A touch of the beef fat was present here, but much lighter than the Moulin a Vent. Overall it smells like the young wine it is. On the plate this was NOT a California pinot! Very tannic, young. Really nice perfume could be picked up and the structure and integration were fantastic ... but this was way too young to be able to pick up on the subtleties that makes Burgundy so great. Give it time. Lots of time.

Griotte Chambertin 2006
This one had a huge nose: a burst of bright cherry with some underlaying bacon and spice. Highly perfumed and very pleasant. On the palate this wine was much more approachable than the Gevrey Chambertin 1er, yet it still had incredible structure. I can see a lot of people liking this wine as it has the fruit but also brings the Burgundy dirt. Long fruit on the finish too. Very young, but will be spectacular.

joopie

Reaction score
Catches of the day:

2 cases of Clos de Tart (Mommesin) 2007;
36 bottles of Sassicaia 2006 (decided to replace 12 bottles of the 2007 by the 2006, as this is probably the best Sassicaia vintage in more than 20 years).

Now let's wait for another 10 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Manton and Gome, I'm distinctly jealous. Not only does it sound like the wines were first rate, it sounds like the company was too. Your write ups were incredible and I don't think I'll be able to nearly match them when I drink the 05 Pur Sang in a month to six weeks. Nice to see this board facilitate amiable people with mutual interests getting together, vs. the insanity that plagues other areas of the board.

cheers.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie
Catches of the day:

2 cases of Clos de Tart (Mommesin) 2007;
36 bottles of Sassicaia 2006 (decided to replace 12 bottles of the 2007 by the 2006, as this is probably the best Sassicaia vintage in more than 20 years).

Now let's wait for another 10 years.

:stunned:
worship.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Nice to see this board facilitate amiable people with mutual interests getting together, vs. the insanity that plagues other areas of the board.

Well, we left out the part about how we got into a fistfight over what sort of tactical measures a non-self-loathing gay man should support toward legalizing gay marriage. My wife had to break it up. In hindsight, it was embarassing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Well, we left out the part about how we got into a fistfight over what sort of tactical measures a non-self-loathing gay man should support toward legalizing gay marriage. My wife had to break it up. In hindsight, it was embarassing.
laugh.gif
Btw, is everyone on Cellar Tracker yet? It doesn't capture everything, such as unless you bring it in and out of stock, it won't capture tastings or restaurant bottles, but it does capture everything you've consumed from home. I think those of us the use CT should start posting month end summaries, from the "Reports" section
smile.gif
2005 Chehalem Pinot Noir Reserve (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley) 2008 Topel Birdsong (USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino) 2008 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2005 Betts & Scholl Grenache Chronique (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley) \t2007 Turley Zinfandel Juvenile (USA, California) 2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) (Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto) 2005 Siduri Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills) 2007 Martinelli Pinot Noir Bella Vigna (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2006 Lynmar Chardonnay (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2005 Murphy-Goode Zinfandel Snake Eyes (USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley) 2004 Toad Hollow Cabernet Sauvignon Concinnity (USA, California) 2005 Domaine de Carobelle Gigondas (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas) 2004 Fire Block Grenache Old Vine (Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley) 2007 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills) 2007 Stefania Haut Tubee (USA, California) 2006 The Australian Premium Wine Collection Grenache Tir Na N'og (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale) 2006 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Uvas Creek Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Clara Valley) 2008 Novy Family Wines Viognier Russian River Valley (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2007 La Crema Chardonnay Russian River Valley (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2005 Murphy-Goode Zinfandel Snake Eyes (USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley) 2006 Lynmar Chardonnay (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley) 2003 Grgich Hills Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown (USA, California, Napa Valley) 2007 Turley Zinfandel Dogtown Vineyard (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi) 2008 Peterson Sauvignon Blanc Bianco 220 (USA, California, Sonoma County) Not a bad month at home
smile.gif
Edit: 1995 WS article on Didier: http://www.winespectator.com/magazine/show/id/6436
"He is one of the great winemakers of our generation," states Denis Dubourdieu, the Bordeaux enologist credited with revolutionizing white wine production in that region. Dubourdieu collaborates with Dagueneau in experiments with yeasts and skin contact and knows his work intimately. "Didier is an artist in the truest sense of the word. He makes wine according to an ideal in his head. He's constantly evolving, looking for better ways to express the terroir. His wines reveal the finesse of Sauvignon Blanc. Tasting them is like listening to great music. You may not understand at first. You must keep tasting. But you never tire of them."

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Manton and Gome, I'm distinctly jealous. Not only does it sound like the wines were first rate, it sounds like the company was too. Your write ups were incredible and I don't think I'll be able to nearly match them when I drink the 05 Pur Sang in a month to six weeks. Nice to see this board facilitate amiable people with mutual interests getting together, vs. the insanity that plagues other areas of the board.

cheers.gif

I hope you have our problem ... tough to write down all of the notes of what you're tasting, the feeling, the evolution. And then have it totally change 30 minutes later in to something different. Awesome experience.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

embarrassing not because of the violence, but rather two very scrawny men with vast height differences sizing each other up. And the occasional "easy on the herringbone you ass"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
On the Burgs we tasted at Zachy's, I agree with everything Gome wrote above. I probably liked the PF a bit more, but I totally agree that the third wine was superior, and certainly a better deal (better wine, lower price). The Batard was epic. A monster wine. Really not worth the cash, though, if you ask me. I think it's possible to find wine that is comparable for half or less.

ryansmith

Reaction score
I'm new to the thread, but I'm looking for a wine friend or two in the NYC area that would like to split the cost of bottles with me to share new experiences and not feel quite as guilty about it.
I love Bordeaux and Champagne, and I'm known for taking not only a 750 in with me to Film Forum, but a set of Riedel glasses as well. If this sort of thing is up your alley, let me know

joopie

Reaction score
:stunned:
worship.gif

To be honest, I am more exited about the Clos de Tart. I had a Clos de Tart 1963 last summer (blind), and the general consensus was that it was a wine from the 80s. This tells you something about the quality and ageability of this wine!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie
To be honest, I am more exited about the Clos de Tart. I had a Clos de Tart 1963 last summer (blind), and the general consensus was that it was a wine from the 80s. This tells you something about the quality and ageability of this wine!

Well, I've never had it. But I have had Sassicaia. Anyway, consider my sycophancy to apply to both.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryansmith
I'm new to the thread, but I'm looking for a wine friend or two in the NYC area that would like to split the cost of bottles with me to share new experiences and not feel quite as guilty about it.
I love Bordeaux and Champagne, and I'm known for taking not only a 750 in with me to Film Forum, but a set of Riedel glasses as well. If this sort of thing is up your alley, let me know

I'm interested but 1) Not the Film Forum, please; and (in case it doesn't go without saying) 2) No ****.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Btw, is everyone on Cellar Tracker yet? It doesn't capture everything, such as unless you bring it in and out of stock, it won't capture tastings or restaurant bottles, but it does capture everything you've consumed from home. I think those of us the use CT should start posting month end summaries, from the "Reports" section
smile.gif

Mine's wimpy in comparison: 2006 Cambria Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley) 2005 Havens Wine Cellars Merlot Reserve (USA, California, Napa Valley, Carneros) N.V. R.L. Buller & Son Premium Fine Muscat (Australia, Victoria) 2006 Rombauer Vineyards Zinfandel California (USA, California) 1999 Schuetz Oles Vesuvium (USA, California, Napa Valley) 2006 Cambria Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley) 2008 Wilhelm Bergmann Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer) There is a consumption category, though for restaurant purchases. I don't use it either, but you could.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads