• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get some really great Burgundy's for $40, but you can get incredible Beaujolais for $40. That said, I'd rather have a $40 Bordeaux than a $40 Beaujolais. Just my personal preference.

jesask

Reaction score
You can get some really great Burgundy's for $40, but you can get incredible Beaujolais for $40. That said, I'd rather have a $40 Bordeaux than a $40 Beaujolais. Just my personal preference.
I would take the Beaujolais but I appreciate that I may be in the minority on that one.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I like how food friendly cru Beauj is and wish I had access to a better supply. I need to buy more Fass Beauj.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im in Cambodia at the moment and one thing that is really fun is buying random wines in supermarkets. They most likely get left over cases and such based on the cheap prices of bottles, but it isn't uncommon to find really really great wines with age on them for $10. My advice for buying out here to most of my expat friends is to always buy from a place that has good air conditioning and if you don't want to play roulette on bad bottles buy younger as there is less chance of spoilage due to heat, or just old bottles sitting around. That said, I don't mind playing roulette on these unknown bords. I wonder if the French influence has something to do with the easily found good French wine here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my local wine shops has been ramping up its Beaujolais offerings these past few years. It’s been great.

I would say in NYC about 5 years ago they starting pushing beaujolais really hard. It has been persistent.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rattalino barbaresco today with- no pic. great with food (would have been too tannic otherwise)

jesask

Reaction score
38725CF4-829E-40FA-8532-614810514233.jpeg
Had it tonight with grilled steak. More red fruit than I was expecting. Pepper and leather with a bit of earth. It’s my first Cornas...I quite liked it.

Last edited:

jesask

Reaction score
I would say in NYC about 5 years ago they starting pushing beaujolais really hard. It has been persistent.
I what shop would the best selection? I am trying to get my wife to agree to a NYC trip later this year.

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just attend Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux this past Monday. Whites and sauternes were stellar, kinda hard to read the reds like the pros, but really enjoyed Leoville Barton, Pape Clement, LaTour Martillac, Kirwan, the list goes on...

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some Patty Green packages on Berserker day (thanks to @venividivicibj to introducing me to that forum, though they still have yet to activate my account even though I registered months ago...) and put in for a case of the PG Berserker Cuvee as well, and got on the waitlist for their wine club. My fiancée and her mom are both big Pinot fans and both of them seem to really like the Patty Green wines I've picked up, so I figured I couldn't go wrong joining that club, especially since I upgraded my wine locker to one that I shouldn't outgrow at least until I get some dedicated wine storage of my own at home.

I do want to continue my Monte Bello vertical (or at this point, fill in the gaps between the case of 2013 I have and the futures of a case of 2016), so I need to get a case of the 2014 while they're still around. I'm in the Monte Bello collector's club, which is great on pricing for futures, but I only got in last year for the 2016 futures, so I still need to buy 2014 and 2015 before my futures take over for my vertical planning for that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
First wine is from when I really liked this producer. This is a nice, fruit driven wine with medium oak, medium to medium minus acid and smooth tannins. No idea what happened, and he's the winemaker too so not a change in winemaker, but his stuff all started becoming way too acid. Doesn't matter the grape or blend either, all way too tart to the point of mouth puckering at times.

Second is one of my favorite Paso producers. Excellent blend, Mourvedre really showing well.

E42A5509-A258-4211-8323-BA9383D251A5.jpeg
5936C821-7DCB-47F3-9340-3F4FEA1C8F01.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads