The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

At $2000 from Costco for the Artevino unit, I'm basically break even after 1 year vs. what I'm paying for my wine locker right now. Of course I don't get the bonus of having someone sign for and deliver it into the unit when no one's home, but two Artevinos for what I'd pay for 2 more years in the locker seems like it will pay for itself fairly soon

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

As someone unfamiliar with the concept of a wine locker, is it basically a service you pay for at a building you live at?

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Sottimano Barbera today. Their barbarescos have a bit too much oak for me, but seems like a lighter touch on the Barbera (or maybe the Barbera can just handle it better).

Next to yesterday's Bedrock

IMG_8259.JPG

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Some high-end apartment or condo buildings have wine locker service, but I would be skeptical of it. There are dedicated professional wine storage facilities that you can rent a locker or space from - those I would be much more confident that they are storing the wine properly.

5. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

This.

Furthermore, the wine locker storage facilities tend to be more useful in major cities that are very dense and housing doesn't permit space for a cellar or standup unit.

6. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

My wine locker is in a higher-end storage unit facility (think key fobs and biometric access with a 24h wine tasting room available via biometric access; not chain-link fences and Storage Wars gremlins) with generator back ups for the temperature and humidity controlled wine storage area. They accept deliveries for me and put the wine in my locker, and they offer insurance options for insuring your wine when you have it there.

As a place to keep my wine when I lived in a brownstone condo that didn't have a basement, let alone a cellar, it was perfect: right around the corner, I had 24 hour access, and peace of mind knowing that my deliveries were being signed for and squirreled away into my locker and my wine is held in the right conditions even if the power goes out. Now that we've moved into a bigger house with a basement that is further away, it makes sense to me to move my collection home. The convenience of it being around the corner is gone, and as the number of bottles has grown, the value proposition of having a locker has decreased. Having someone there to sign is something I'm going to miss out on, but our neighborhood's historic society offers members the option to have things delivered there, so that could be the next best option

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

We started off with a wine locker but bought a Vinotemp probably a decade ago now and have a second Vinotemp but it's a console style that sits in our dining room.

8. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

You haven't been on this thread for quite a while. Even after your political return.

My God, you haven't been on the wagon, have you?

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Do you have your answer as to why I don't bother posting here much now?