The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

IMG_8024.JPG

2. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Is it hard to get on the Rhys Vineyard mailing list?

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I don't think it's that hard. I think the wines are well known among wine geeks, but I don't know that they have a waiting list or anything like that. I used to be on it back in 2010/2011 (I think) but dropped off because I don't drink that much pinot and most of what I had was really hard and closed. I've probably still got a case of the pinots in the cellar and drank one a couple of months ago. I liked it, they are well made wines in a style I like, they just take a long time to come around.

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Some wines of note I've had recently:
    Bedrock Ode to LuLu rose - I really like this, it's refreshing, with some zip, nicely balanced.
    2015 Anthill Farms Chardonnay Peugh Vineyard/Anthill Farms Sonoma Coast pinot noir - My local Joe Canals carries a bunch of the Anthill Farm wines and until last week I'd never tried them. I liked both of these. The chard was really nice, light, with firm acids. I didn't get to spend as much time with it to see how it evolved over the course of the evening because one of our guests hoovered up most of the bottle in about 45 minutes. I bought another bottle. The pinot is one of two appellation wines, the other being Anderson Valley, and there are three (I think) single vineyard pinots. I think a good portion of the grapes for this are whole cluster fermented and the wine has a little stemminess to it, which I actually liked. It's a well made, (relatively) cold climate pinot noir, with good acidity, which is a style I prefer.
    Sandlands 2015 Mataro - nice wine, ripe but balanced, but not really notable or showing any varietal typicity, which isn't that surprising given it's youth.

5. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Thanks for the insight. I'm sort of turned off by these types of wines and their pricepoint. Rather, I was thinking of reselling. A bottle of Rhys 2012 Chard just won at auction for $500. Ridiculous but nice.

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Really? I had no idea, that's nuts. Looking over Winebid's current auctions, they have a bunch of Rhys wines available, most are in the $45-70 range. So I don't think these are high demand wines, at least not ordinarily commanding any kind of multiple of release price at auction.

7. Principle

Principle Senior member

To people using FullPull, what's shipping a case like to a Northeast residential address? Can someone also give me some insight into the shipping window procedure. Will I be waiting until fall if I miss the spring window? Thinking I finally wanna' dip my toes into the online orders, thanks in advance.

8. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Dunno, it costs me about $1 worth of gas to go down and pick up an order though . . .:-D

9. Principle

Principle Senior member

Where would you pick the bottles up? I don't understand this and it's not in the FAQ.

10. venividivicibj

Shipping to CA is like $30 or so

11. venividivicibj

IMG_8033.JPG

12. venividivicibj

So... I don't know how to resize pictures with the new system, sorry about that

13. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

Their Seattle warehouse is the only location you can pick up your bottles. If you email them they're good about working with you individually on shipments outside of their windows. Basically you get free cellaring until you reach a case while the shipping window is open, so impatience isn't really necessary. Generally my shipping charges to SC run about $52/case from them. I would highly recommend delivering to a business address unless you have someone at your residence all day or live in an apartment complex where a front desk can receive it for you.