• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you be "borrowing" some wine, Wilks?

Healdsburg's ever popular Cyrus Restaurant is hosting two upcoming wine dinners of note. Tonight – and yes, space is still available – chef Douglas Keane welcomes Eric Sussman of Radio-Coteau wines for a showcase of his library wines. The five-course menu's highlights include Nantucket bay scallops with cauliflower and dashi paired with Anderson Valley chardonnay; and lamb roulade with parsnip and kale paired with Russian River Valley Syrah ($215 per person, inclusive). If making it to Healdsburg isn't an option tonight, don’t despair. On February 2, Keane’ll host Andy Peay and winemaker Vanessa Wong of Peay Vineyards for a similar feast ($205 per person, inclusive; 707-433-3311).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins

Healdsburg's ever popular Cyrus Restaurant is hosting two upcoming wine dinners of note. Tonight - and yes, space is still available - chef Douglas Keane welcomes Eric Sussman of Radio-Coteau wines for a showcase of his library wines. The five-course menu's highlights include Nantucket bay scallops with cauliflower and dashi paired with Anderson Valley chardonnay; and lamb roulade with parsnip and kale paired with Russian River Valley Syrah ($215 per person, inclusive). If making it to Healdsburg isn't an option tonight, don't despair. On February 2, Keane'll host Andy Peay and winemaker Vanessa Wong of Peay Vineyards for a similar feast ($205 per person, inclusive; 707-433-3311).

Got the email for the Peay dinners, both from Peay and K-dub, but it's a 1.5 hour drive for me, and being held on a weeknight, in my area
frown.gif

Good news is, Cakebread in a few months
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins

Healdsburg's ever popular Cyrus Restaurant is hosting two upcoming wine dinners of note. Tonight - and yes, space is still available - chef Douglas Keane welcomes Eric Sussman of Radio-Coteau wines for a showcase of his library wines. The five-course menu's highlights include Nantucket bay scallops with cauliflower and dashi paired with Anderson Valley chardonnay; and lamb roulade with parsnip and kale paired with Russian River Valley Syrah ($215 per person, inclusive). If making it to Healdsburg isn't an option tonight, don't despair. On February 2, Keane'll host Andy Peay and winemaker Vanessa Wong of Peay Vineyards for a similar feast ($205 per person, inclusive; 707-433-3311).

Yep, the Radio Coteau dinner was last night. When I ate at Cyrus I had the pairing of their Syrah with the lamb roulade and also the pairing of their Pinot with the wagyu. RC makes some really damn fine wines. I'm excited for the Peay dinner. I'm hoping I get a chance to meet Andy.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'The grapes for this Pinot Noir came from four excellent vineyards on both the Sonoma and Napa sides of Carneros, including Alta Vista, Beau Terroir, and Beresini. Our Wildcat Mountain Estate Vineyard, high up in the hills on the extreme southwestern edge of the Carneros AVA, continues to play a significant role in the blend. Wildcat’s influence can be seen in the dark color, full body and overall complexity of the wine.' None of my favourite Pinots were in stock at the LCBO tonite -- Tawse, Thirty Bench, Scott Cellars, Maysara, Sara Powell, Belle Glos, etc. Chose this out of five unknowns. A lovely Pinot. Real barnyard, even manure, out of the bottle. As you swirl, the oak and fruit balances the pong and is nicely balanced on the tongue. More Old World than New, the MacRostie has plum and beetroot on the nose with a heathy acidity on the back end. Gorgeous colour. We really enjoyed it. Was paired with Champfleur, Oka and Danish Blue cheeses and a gorgeous fig compote, spicy Kalamata olives, and Peppadew Bruschetta (tomatoes, peppers, onion, sea salt, etc). Delicious. US$30.00 90/100
macrostiea.jpg
macrostieb.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1995 Michel Gaunoux Bourgogne:
Cork top stained and appears dry, but not moldy. Cork lightly stained about ½ way up the sides.
Color medium to light with significant orange at the edges; almost brown; darker than the Leroy
Decent legs
Deep rustic bouquet. Tiny bit of harshness; very noticeable burgundy “animal fat” smell
Seems to be fading quickly in the glass but still much better/more pronounced than the Leroy.
Still real tannins in there, but not a lot of fruit underneath. Not much acid either. Basically, too many tannins and not enough of everything else. I think I taste some residual sugar in there, which is nice. Still, better than the Leroy. Opened at 3:45.
8 pm: impressive bouquet of spices and fruit, the animal fat smell is mostly gone.
Still super tannic, not harsh but noticeable, especially for a 15 year old (!) AOC Bourgogne. Could last longer but won’t improve. Not enough there, it’s already showing everything it has. A small masterpiece of winemaking, however, to deliver something with so much structure with an obviously weak(ish) selection. Good wines from this producer/vintage probably are still spectacular.

I like it, a good value, certainly. Not a barn burner.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that "barnyard" smell is a really controversial topic among winemakers. technically, it's bacterial spoilage from a bug called brettanomyces. it used to be quite prevalent in Burgundy where the winemaking facilities used to be fairly rustic. With the Davis-schooled American winemakers, it's the devil incarnate. i've judged competitions with winemakers who could detect it at incredibly small levels and would immediately trash the wine for that. for others, within limits, it's a mark of distinction. i guess to put a spin on the old computer adage: "it's not a bug, it's character."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that "barnyard" smell is a really controversial topic among winemakers. technically, it's bacterial spoilage from a bug called brettanomyces. it used to be quite prevalent in Burgundy where the winemaking facilities used to be fairly rustic. With the Davis-schooled American winemakers, it's the devil incarnate. i've judged competitions with winemakers who could detect it at incredibly small levels and would immediately trash the wine for that. for others, within limits, it's a mark of distinction. i guess to put a spin on the old computer adage: "it's not a bug, it's character."
Peay recalled some wines last year due to brett. Tonight, sipping 05 Murphy-Goode Zin. It's fine.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've only smelled it three times. Sarah Powell Oregon Pinot -- quite strong, aforementioned MacRostie -- initially strong, then backs right off, and a Hidden Bench Red -- skunk, almost!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Beaucastels from the late 80s, which happen to be the most memorable wines I have ever tasted, were loaded with brett. Great stuff, but I can see how it could be overbearing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The Beaucastels from the late 80s, which happen to be the most memorable wines I have ever tasted, were loaded with brett. Great stuff, but I can see how it could be overbearing.
You are such a big timer. I can't believe I know you. No ****, e-buddy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

exactly. they were a trademark. and if you ever want to get in a fight on the uc davis campus, just shout "I love brett!" (no ****).

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly. they were a trademark. and if you ever want to get in a fight on the uc davis campus, just shout "I love brett!" (no ****).

Prof. Noble can stick her aroma wheel up her hole.
laugh.gif
Although, my Vit & Eno classes up there made undergrad so much more bearable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I so need to take a couple of years off life and go get a degree from UC Davis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads