1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. EvanNole

EvanNole Well-Known Member

Good advice from Canadianguy. I have until this point been just a lurker in this thread and am certainly not an expert on Bordeaux, but I do have some experience with it over the past 20 years or so.

First, remember that the Cru Classé system dates to 1855 and has changed only once since 1856, with the promotion of Mouton to Premier Cru in 1973. So, while the rankings within the system certainly carry a certain level of prestige, they aren't necessarily reflective of the quality of the wines as they are produced today, since the classification hasn't, for all intents and purposes, been updated in over 160 years. There are some great producers that aren't even classified as 5e Cru, and there are probably some 3e Cru producers whose glory days have long since passed.

The website that Canadianguy cited has some pretty useful info in it, and is well worth checking out. I would also suggest, if you're interested in trying aged Bordeaux, browsing Winesearcher, looking for wines 10+ years old from quality producers in good years at reasonable prices, and then reading tasting notes of these wines on Cellartracker before deciding to order. You won't find much in the 2e or 3e Cru categories that meets all three of those criteria, but you might at the 4e and 5e Cru levels as well as amongst the unclassified wines. A few years ago I bought some Côtes de Castillon (unclassified) from 2003 (generally not viewed as a great vintage for Bordeaux) for about $10/bottle, and would gladly pay $30/bottle if I could find more. Beautiful stuff and surprisingly elegant for the appellation and price.

2 people like this.
  2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Good advice from all so far. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

3. Principle

Principle Senior member

Another open ended blind tasting tonight. This time any testable red or white.

On topic with Bordeaux, I plan on bringing a 2006 Medoc I've had lying around.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Best person would actually probably be @Manton but I doubt he will answer the bat signal for a while...

2 people like this.
  5. concealed

concealed Senior member

you and i drink basically the same wines.

1 person likes this.
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Maybe he still lurks

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

He's probably hella busy right now.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Still can lurk on toilet. I mean president has time to tweet

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just loaded up on Booker. I know I take shit for being a Paso fan but I'd urge folks to try some Booker.

1 person likes this.
  10. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

[​IMG]
    A fruitful visit, to, the store of, kings.

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

Their cotes du Rhone isn't bad for $7

12. Principle

Principle Senior member

I loved visiting Paso Robles and have been buying their cabs whenever I get the chance

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

[​IMG]

Bright red, heavier than last year's but still the lightness that Sunier is known for, and with a touch more soil as well.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The Rhone blends are really their forte these days, IMO. What Cabs from there have you been drinking? Dao? L'Adventure? Maybe Justin?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  15. Principle

Principle Senior member

Those and several others that I can't recall at this moment. I have fond memories of getting shitty drinking Justin wines at my girlfriends holiday work party.

Please let me know about the rhone styles I should try though!

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Here's a list of wineries I'd check out:

Booker
    Villa Creek
    Ledge
    Saxum
    Terry Haoge
    Linne Calodo
    Epoch

IMO those are most of the top tier producers there.

17. Principle

Principle Senior member

Noted! My drinking has been skewed to testable wines as of late, I look forward to trying those. Not certain if Paso falls into the testable category.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The only thing I could see coming out of Paso that might remotely be testable would be a Zin. None of those producers though as a) too expensive and b) not what we've come to expect as "varietal typical" for Zin. The only Zin they might toss you from there would be a Turley but Turley also uses grapes from other regions.

19. Principle

Principle Senior member

Thanks for the wealth of info! My cellar needs a healthy boost either way.

1 person likes this.
  20. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

For whatever reason I haven't really cared for any of the Paso cabs/Bordeaux blends I've had. If you're gonna stay domestic and stray from Napa, I'd take Washington Cabs any day. The Paso cabs (Justin & Dao) I've had seemed like plonk.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017