1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

Literally randomly had 2012 two vintners zin a day or two before their syrah was listed on full pull and was blown away by the QPR. I backed the truck up on that syrah order, glad to hear it is good.

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

3. Forum Troll

Forum Troll Active Member

19625 Gilman Springs Road Gilman Hot Springs, Cali
    Recently had this vintage and agree. It's ready now, but probably going to decline.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

How was the Siran, I have some of the '14 and '15 on order en primeur

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Made my first order from Lyle's newsletter last night. Got a three pack of the cheaper German Syrah and the still have available some Chablis so I got a three (or was it four?) pack of that.

1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

It was just ok actually. I was a bit disappointed given what I payed for it on top of overpaying at the place I picked it up. It was very tight and a bit hot tasting. It didn't seem like more typical Margaux that I have had which tend to be lighter than some of the other left banks. I'd return to this in a few years and I am sure it will be much better. These 2009's and 2010's seem like they can go the distance. Speaking of which, I have been so tied up buying 09's and 10's that I have ignored the later vintages. Are there any other years post 2010 that are winners for Bordeaux?

7. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

Same, here... I've completely looked past newer vintages - even when they sport lower prices lol

8. patrickBOOTH

They are solid buys. You can find them pretty inexpensively too. It is but one thing that is great about Bordeaux, tons of value wines.

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

On a completely different topic, how do you guys feel about wines from countries less frequently discussed? Three times in the last week, I've been recommended to give a try to Lebanese wines (Bekaa valley, mainly). I've never had a wine from Lebanon. Hence, I'm tempted to try.

Opinions?

10. patrickBOOTH

Never had one, but trying a new wine is a worthwhile place to spend dat money.

I had a South African wine a few years ago that was extremely bordeaux-y and wonderful for $25 at an Ethiopian restaurant.

11. Piobaire

When I think South Africa I right away think Sauv Blanc and Chenin Blanc for whites. They call Chenin Blanc "Sheen" there. Also making some nice Chards and Viogniers. For reds I just think of Pinotage and am not impressed so far.

Never had a Lebanese wine but would try. I think there was a rather famous Bordeaux style wine some guy made there but he might have died. Can't remember but this sounds familiar to me.

New Zealand. Sauv Blanc, of course, also good Pinots and Chards come to mind.

Germany, Alsace...and I drink a ton of Spanish wines these days.

12. patrickBOOTH

A lot of Spanish wines that I have had taste a bit like candy, or rather "inky". Could just be the particular ones I have tried however.

13. Piobaire

Spain definitely has some warm climate viticulture in many areas, so yeah, you can get big extracted wines. Rioja from Alta or with a lot of Alta grapes will tend to be lighter, lower alcohol due to cooler climate/shorter growing seasons and Rioja from Baja or with a lot of Baja grapes will be more like California wines. Garnacha from the Montsant region tend to be bigger wines like a Central Coast wine but at 1/4 the price. You would probably enjoy Priorat wines which are more Bordeaux style. Garnacha and Cariñena (Carignan) are dominant with Cab Sauv, Merlot, Syrah, and other grapes used for blending. A white I'm drinking a lot of these days is Albarino from the Rías Baixas DO in Galacia. You should check them out as nice versions run $10-13 bucks or so.

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

He has a ton of stuff in his warehouse he can give you (an extremely length and unorganized) list of what he has currently available.

Plenty of small production spatburgunder, northern rhone syrah, burgundy, etc to choose from.

15. venividivicibj

'15 is supposed to be pretty good, '14 more value driven (less heralded but good). I'd skip most of '11 and '12

16. patrickBOOTH

Probably why there are tons of 11's and 12's hanging around. I tend to have a preference for age, so I'd likely buy an 11 or 12 for drinking now over a 14 or 15 to be honest at least if the producer is good.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  17. patrickBOOTH

18. venividivicibj

You can check auctions if you want age without having to wait

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  19. patrickBOOTH

But I'm poor!

2 people like this.
  20. venividivicibj

Sometimes it's cheaper than original retail, especially for non-"Vintage of the Century".

Got some aged barolo pretty cheap at spectrum a few weeks ago

2 people like this.