• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Even better and you can let the bottle air dry overnight so there's zero water in it.

I have a tall decanter that (I think) can be used for this purpose, It's the same size as a bottle but the opening is a touch wider and built to pour, not to hold a cork.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
A few years back I got on the waiting list of ~10 wineries that were hard to get, and now I'm starting to get allocations on these. The problem is that I'm not drinking quite as much good wine as I thought I would be at this point, and it's hard to justify spending the money to buy from a lot of these places. One of them was Saxum and it was a no brainer for me to go ahead and order because I love their wine. But another was Leonetti (Walla Walla) and I'm not sure whether to place an order. Have only had their cab once and it was a few years back.

Anyone have thoughts on this wine and whether it's worthwhile to be ordering their stuff? Prices range from $65 for the Sangiovese to $140 for the Reserve Cab.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I also feel that decanting is somewhat unrelated to sediment.

it's very related to sediment.

Decanting puts more of the wine in contact with air so it opens up faster.

time in the decanter can be very beneficial to young wines. Old wines, not so much. In fact, I'd pour into decanter to remove sediment, then start drinking it immediately because the wine will inevitably change with more exposure to air, and that evolution is often an enjoyable experience.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the past two days I thought a few times that I probably should've chosen a different wine over the potentially-past-prime Barbera d'Alba. The cork didn't look great either (see spoiler, almost--or did it already?--leakage).

There was little sediment. As much as you can see at the bottom of the cork and the neck of the bottle remained in the bottle.
Now that I drank it, I do not regret purchasing it. It was one of the better wines I've head. Despite the 14.5%, it didn't taste hot. The acidity balanced it out nicely. Velvety/"smooth" texture. Notes of sour cherries, berries, blah blah. I was positively surprised. I couldn't tell whether it's already past prime--it may very well be--but we were very pleased with it.

Oh, and the nose reminded me a little of port wine.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how much you pay for it?

get a centrifuge to get that pesky sediment out :D

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
€ 21 or so including a 25% discount.

How do Barbera d'Alba and Barbera d'Asti usually differ? That is, what are the differences in their regional character?

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

€ 21 or so including a 25% discount.

How do Barbera d'Alba and Barbera d'Asti usually differ? That is, what are the differences in their regional character?

Comparing Asti to Alba is too generic, there are too many variants, styles and substyles. Malvira's single vineyards for example are all quite unique from each other.
This is long-winded but it gets most of the points right in my mind: http://www.diwinetaste.com/dwt/en2010063.php

In Alba most of the best vineyards grow Nebbiolo and in Asti there's less competition for prime land so, at least in theory, Barbera from Asti is considered a bit superior. My Asti experiences are more limited but I'm enormously biased towards the wines from Malvira so Alba gets the nod from me.

Also FYI: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/dining/reviews/tasting-barbera-wines.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

i find that asti wines tend to be slightly brighter in style. This is a blanket generalization.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran into a wine tasting event at a wholesale by accident. Tasted a few wines. Some quick notes of what I remember, thus unreliable.

Antica Chiusina Montepulciano '04. Good.
Chapoutier Les Arènes Cornas '0?. Also decent.

Vigneto Poggio Sant'Enrico (montepulciano) '03. Lots of tannins.
il Colombaio di Cencio - il futuro '0?. A little jammy, medium acidity and tannins.
Guidolberto Tenuta San Guido '09. Jammy.

Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier lieu dit Malakoff Shiraz (Pyrenees, '10). Very good. Definitely worth a try. Very interesting shiraz.

Louis Jadot Meursault '0?. I enjoyed this quite a bit.
----------
A few Barbera d'Asti for the next days. Today was Michele Chiarlo's entry level (Le Orme '10) whose '08 vintage was recommended by the NYT. It's very good for € 9. Tomorrow will be Michele Chiarlo's La Court (Barbera d'Asti Nizza), so his higher end one. Monday: Damilano Barbera d'Asti '10, another € 9 one. Guess it's time for some more Barbera d'Alba afterwards. :laugh:

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had quite a few wines last night. I popped an 08 Sea Smoke Ten and it was horrible upon open. The nose had heavy barnyard and it tasted like extracted prune juice. An hour later and it had opened up into a typical Sea Smoke. Tasted a Ken Wright that was totally flawed. Smelled very highly of sulfur and it was effervescent on the tongue. Somm knew it was there and said he had tried five bottles of three cases and they were all like that. Interesting flaw; I wonder what mechanism caused it?

Had a very affordable northern Rhone blend from Epoch Winery in Paso Robles. Was very good and I plan to visit there. Had a nice bottle of Torrentes with sushi. Also had a WA wine, can't remember the maker, but was Sauv. Blanc and Semillon blend. Had acid and a smoothness to it. Had a really light, in colour, body, and taste, RRV Pinot that I know is value priced but cannot remember the maker. Was from Alexander Valley and will have to ask the somm so I can buy some.

Lastly, as we were leaving, the somm handed me a wine bag that contained a bottle of Pierre Peters, the grower/producer that really brought me into the fold for Champagne.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's weird, Pio. Sounds like they were trying to cover an obvious flaw in the make. But frizzante, unless a grüner and a few others is usually a sign of contamination and critters, right?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is apparently only one white and one red from the Jura in all of the Twin Cities, this is the latter.

Tastes exactly like tart cranberry juice. Looks it too.

Unimpressed.

???

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a Berthet Bondet Jura Nature tonight. Not a very oxidized version like the tradition. Next time you are out here for cheese, I will point you in the right direction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads