• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rascal Pinot Noir from Oregon. Amazing for $15.

Huh, wine-searcher lists a bunch of places that sell it for ten or eleven bucks. If you say it's a good deal at fifteen, I should try finding a bottle. I really like Willamette Valley PNs but wasn't aware of a decent cheap-o version. Although I don't know which vintage you tried, and cellartracker has some terrible reviews of the 2010 (nowhere near the 91 mendoza line that's cited frequently here).

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

S
some of the best wines I've had are Oregon Pints... That observe a more old world/burgundy approach.

Agreed. I cannot remember the last time I had a hot Oregon Pinot. Arav, search this thread for Oregon Pinots.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do, I'm always happy to try pinots, though clearly I prefer Burgundian flavor profiles.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Will do, I'm always happy to try pinots, though clearly I prefer Burgundian flavor profiles.

Try a Drouhin. Actual Burgundy folks making Oregon wine. Domaine Serene, Bethel Heights, Ken Wright, Penner-Ash, and Argyle might be worth a look too.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had no idea Drouhin was making Oregonian wine, will definitely have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just for Gomie:

3AF8AED3-983C-499F-A133-D1F4A9434344-1120-00000296A99662EB_zpsf84fd41b.jpg

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Try a Drouhin. Actual Burgundy folks making Oregon wine. Domaine Serene, Bethel Heights, Ken Wright, Penner-Ash, and Argyle might be worth a look too.
+1 on the Ken Wright and Argyle

For some good wines that are inexpensive (not exactly cheap-o) you might also try:
Erath - decent wine in the $16 range
Firesteed is nice and maybe around $18

Owen Roe makes a great range of wines. He has the entry level Sharecropper and mid-range Sinister Hand (bottle has a bloody gauntlet sketched)-
all very nice wine for a dinner at home, for guests I'd move up into his $30+ range.

Van Duzer is also a nice wine near the $30 range.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I fell in love with the Willamette Valley while living in Seattle.  They have great wines that drink like a wine 3x their price. 

If you pronounce it wrong "william-ette"  they correct you with "it's Willamette, dammit". 

If I where going to bring a couple of bottles of US made wine to a friend in Europe, I would bring one of the WV pinots for sure!

I haven't had one that I didn't like yet. It seems like the Pacific Northwest is pretty solid. The Washington wines are getting expensive, but well worth it, imo.

It is funny I resorted to going to this one wine shop in my neighborhood that usually has a lot of duds, but it was the only thing open. I got a trusty cheapo bord and this insanely hot chick was sampling the Rascal. I didn't think much of it because I have seen her in there before with long lines of guys sniffing her farts. I figured it was just something they wanted to move. I took a taste and bought 4 bottles. I must have looked like one of those suckers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Huh, wine-searcher lists a bunch of places that sell it for ten or eleven bucks. If you say it's a good deal at fifteen, I should try finding a bottle. I really like Willamette Valley PNs but wasn't aware of a decent cheap-o version. Although I don't know which vintage you tried, and cellartracker has some terrible reviews of the 2010 (nowhere near the 91 mendoza line that's cited frequently here).

It is the 2011. I will snap a pic of the bottle tonight. Not gonna lie, probably going back to buy more tonight. Also, my neighborhood is notorious for overpriced bottles, just the real estate I guess.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

To each their own but I cannot imagine a 2 year old WV Pinot for that price that I would enjoy.

There was an OR Pinot for $18 a few years ago that was drinking way better than the price would indicate. It was Cardwell Hills. Then two things happened: it got on the map and then it changed either the wine maker or production method and suddenly was not nearly worth the $30 it now was. I hate when this happens.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

this was soooo ******* good. omg. i still think about it occasionally. i think it's only my third or fourth barolo and i dont have the wine experience as some of you guys, but this was the second best wine i've ever tasted after the aged pichon comtesse de lalande i got to try for a wine class.

so good and only 30 or 40 something. want to go back and get more i usually never buy the same thing twice (just because there's too much to try)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads