• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

You are not far from the Modern on 52nd street. Not a wine bar but has a huge bar with a very well done (IMO, at least) selection.

I'd second this. Very good selections, and they'll usually let you try a wine before you buy a glass.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They basically ignore the DOC regulations concerning varietal requirements and today many of the top Super Tuscans have no Sangiovese (used to require X% of Sangiovese and then a minimum % of some of the other local varietals) and are basically Bordeaux style blends. Now, I've not had a top ST but we're talking some of the world's top wines. Sassicaia pops to mind. So I'm not saying this change might well not produce excellent wine I'm just saying a certain level of uniqueness might fall by the way side.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And they also won't receive the AOC. This might mean the prices will be lower and you can find some awesome values within.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

And they also won't receive the AOC. This might mean the prices will be lower and you can find some awesome values within.

You sure? If you're a typical US wine drinker you've probably never heard of Mourvedre, or if you have, it's in a GSM type style blend. Do you think this person is more likely to pull a Bandol 100% Mourvedre or a Parker 92 point Cab blend?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Sassicaia is a DOC :teach:

True today. Misleading to what I just posted though. Prior to being given its very own DOC in 1994 it was an IGT as it was being made outside of the DOC regulations.

:teach:

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't see the "super tuscan route" as a bad thing at all. There's still plenty of old school producers making classic styled wines in Tuscany. One could even suggest that the rapid rise in the super tuscans elevated the quality of the traditional DOCG's.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i don't see the "super tuscan route" as a bad thing at all. There's still plenty of old school producers making classic styled wines in Tuscany. One could even suggest that the rapid rise in the super tuscans elevated the quality of the traditional DOCG's.

I'm not saying it is either bad nor good. I am saying it is the perfect example of formerly uniquely styled wines based on a locality chasing the "international style."

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying it is either bad nor good. I am saying it is the perfect example of formerly uniquely styled wines based on a locality chasing the "international style."

I don't see super Tuscans as chasing an international style, it was more about avoiding some prettying obscure rules that stifled evolution. In the hands of the right makers thy may have lost DOCG linguini lite but they made even better wines. There are many DOCG qualified badly made wines.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Rascal Pinot Noir from Oregon. Amazing for $15.
I fell in love with the Willamette Valley while living in Seattle. They have great wines that drink like a wine 3x their price.

If you pronounce it wrong "william-ette" they correct you with "it's Willamette, dammit".

If I where going to bring a couple of bottles of US made wine to a friend in Europe, I would bring one of the WV pinots for sure!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to try some more Oregeon pinots... The ones I have had have been overripe and spent too much time in new oak, but people keep saying there are great ones out there...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S
I need to try some more Oregeon pinots... The ones I have had have been overripe and spent too much time in new oak, but people keep saying there are great ones out there...
some of the best wines I've had are Oregon Pints... That observe a more old world/burgundy approach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads