1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

7 year old Bord tastes like a 2 year old. Par for the course.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We really need to meet up and do some winery tours if I could arrange it so we can get "backstage" like I did last Feb.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

If this quote was in any other thread...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    3 people like this.
  4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I've had Villa Antinori many, many times for this exact reason. For the price, it's great.

1 person likes this.
  5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I really like the Wiemer wines, which I'd not had or even seen until I moved to the east coast in 2011. I also generally like the Antinori wines across the board. I find them to generally be really solid, varietally correct for the most part, and good values. I like their restaurant in Florence too.

Tonight I have the 95 Mondavi Reserve in the decanter. It's a very good bottle, straddling CA and Bdx. Still showing a core of primary fruit, but also showing some secondary characteristics, nicely balanced. Just a really enjoyable wine. If more CA cabs were like this I'd drink a lot more CA cabs. As it is, only a handful of CA wineries make cabernet in this style these days. And I'm not sure even Mondavi does anymore, lol.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those 90s Mondavi Reserves are great, and the prices are still a bargain, IMO.

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I agree. Most of the mid 90s Mondavi Reserves I have I purchased from Winebid for around $70. Not cheap, but for what it is, it is a relative bargain.

9. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

[​IMG]

The most consistent winery in BC, in my opinion.

10. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I am still on my white burgandy kick. Any suggestions including vintage?

I've been buying a lot from the Chassagne_Montrachet region.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That's a Bordeaux bottle and I thought they were big on Pinots there? I have to say I want to do some tasting of them.

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Good eye. It's their Bordeaux blend- it's the first time I've had it anywhere but the actual vineyard. I have a problem with most northern Okanagan reds, but these guys winemaking style seems to jive with what I like. Smoke, pencil, soil.

Really good. I actually do prefer their Pinot Noirs the most, but this is definitely a contender. Luckily, the local grocery store just started carrying them for $10 a bottle cheaper than the other grocery store down the road.

If you try any Pinots from this region I recommend Ex Nihilio or Liquidity. There are others, but these two are the ones that stand out to me the most for their Pinot Noirs and Bordeaux blends.

13. alexg

alexg Senior member

When is the best time to go to Napa early in the year? Looking to go by probably May, but I've never been so I don't really know what to expect. I'm also going to be going to the French Laundry if that makes a difference. I think I'm set on winery recommendations, but if there's anything else I should definitely do there I'd appreciate any tips. I've never even been to California actually so it's totally new.

14. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

I would say you would get the smallest crowds typically in winter, from nov to feb. May tends to be pretty popular since the weather is warm (not too hot), with summer being the worst due to the large tourist traffic.

Driving from San Francisco to Napa would typically take about 1 hr 15 to 1 hr 30 minutes. If you plan to visit a large number of wineries I suggest staying at a hotel in the area.

15. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

[​IMG]

I really quite enjoy Chianti with a few years age on it... 4-8 years tends to be a sweet spot for me and I can usually find for about $16-20CAD. As a result, it's often an everyday drinker for me.
    This example had soft & drying red fruit, acidity and a soft structure. Really delicious and starting to be a bit more evolved from bright red, fresh fruit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  16. venividivicibj

GD Vajra Dolcetto - maybe I'm not a big fan of dolcetto? Wasn't bad, just meh

2014 Chateau Teulon Costieres de Nimes - G/S/M - got some of that braised meat, some pepper. Lighter side. The cork was a bitch to take out though. Finally ran the cork area under hot water (apparently warming the glass slightly expands it to make it easier) anyway it worked

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is that GSM a Full Pull? I think I might have some.

18. venividivicibj

^ yeah it is. Was pretty cheap~$10

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Total Wine had a sale on Old World wines today and it turned out to be a day mainly in Spain for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  20. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Sent the San Felice, the 2010 Torre Oria and the Chateau Teulon home and put the rest of my FP wine in my wine locker. GF wasn't over the moon about the Chianti but did really enjoy the Teulon, which is good all around considering it's (marginally) less expensive. Did get a half case of that Italian Rose, but I think only 1-2 bottles are left after the holiday season

I got a Patricia Green release (2014 "Ludicrous" is the name) for the Willamette wine auction for my girlfriend's mother for Christmas and she really enjoyed it (to the point that she poured a half glass for her mother and a half glass for her husband and had the rest of the bottle herself). We're going to Napa in March with my girlfriend's parents, so I thought two more bottles of it and maybe another Patty Green might be a good "thank you" gift for letting me join