1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]
    Probably the best rose Champagne I've ever had.

1 person likes this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've only ever had two better barolos and both were from Marchesi, so I can't really compare them to others. To my understanding, Marchesi is one of the oldest producers, but isn't objected to some modern reinterpretations.

1 person likes this.
  3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Had a bottle of 1992 Dom Perignon for New Years. GF's dad bought it for her at auction, so we were unsure of its storage throughout the years.

Flavors were nutty/toasty, with a distinct bleu cheese smell (and taste on the finish). We have another bottle too, but unsure as to whether we really liked it or not. It was interesting for sure, but I don't know if we would drink in a one-on-one setting (and would really only open it with a group setting, as we did with this one). Flavor profile was definitely not one I'd had before, though I don't know if food would have helped it or not

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Old Dom gets very nutty/toasty and also kind of flat. Personally, I love it, but I guess it's not for everyone.

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I think the biggest thing was that we weren't sure whether it was supposed to taste that way (or whether it was turned/bad/etc.). So we were approaching it with a bit of apprehension. Maybe the experience with the second bottle will be improved since we know what to expect (at least if it was stored similarly to the other).

Thanks Manton!

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The 06 we had the night before NYE was really, really good. It was very rich and round, lots of floral notes, but a satisfying amount of toast, nut, and yeast. I'd really like to have another bottle of this in 10 years.

1 person likes this.
  7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

8. Manton

I was recently in Napa and had an instructive experience at Mondavi. I got to taste, in succession, the basic Sauv Blanc (they call it "fume"), the Reserve, and the I Block. The basic MSRP is around $20 but you can get it for $15 or less. The Reserve is typically $35-$40. The I Block is sold only at the winery and is made in very small quantities (200 cases) from the "I Block" of vines, which are the oldest at the whole property, dating to 1945. They are said to be the oldest Sauv Blanc vines in North America. This is the same parcel of land where What'sHisName Crabb who first planted To Kalon (and named it) planted Sauv Blanc in the 1860s. I Block is $90/bottle.

I like all these wines and always have. The all age, too. But I had never tasted them side by side like that. Each is good but the upgrade from one to the next was super-noticeable. I Block just outclasses anything else in this space, except maybe Didier Dagneau and Haut Brion Blanc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. Manton

dbl

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

A gift over Xmas. It's a kitchen sink blend.

27% Merlot
    19% Malbec
    17% Syrah
    13% Zinfandel
    7% Sauzao,
    6% Petit Verdot,
    4% Petite Sirah
    4% Grenache
    3% Cabernet Sauvignon

Lots of oak, some RS, big nose of stewed plumbs, had with some ribs and it worked. I looked up the price, about $25. I could pick up things I like more than this for the money but I'm thinking the average person would really enjoy this.

1 person likes this.
  11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Weird. Interesting weird, but weird.

12. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

Sounds kind of like a knock off 'The Prisoner', which tends to be a crowd pleaser.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've got a min-vertical and thought maybe I'd get into this holiday season but I did not. I have 05, 06, and 07 Peay La Bruma Syrah. I really want to crack this but need to find the right situation.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For a shitty, snowy night.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Manton

I bet that's going to be pretty good ....

16. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

2010 Clape Renaissance. If served blind I'm not sure I'd guess France as it's pretty ripe. Really enjoyable syrah nonetheless.

1 person likes this.
  17. Manton

Two cheapies tonight:

2012 Herman J Wiemer Semi-Dry. Fucking love this wine. Very slight sweetness. Five years and the petrol is coming out. Can go another five easy.
    2007 Villa Antinori: Not deep or profound, but it tastes "aged." All the smoothness, the perfume, secondaries, etc. There isn't a great deal of depth underneath, but if you just like the unique taste of "old" wine, even if the fruit has faded, and without any sign of spoilage, this is a winner.

1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had some really great prime steaks with fixing for dinner paired with a 2013 Denner Dirt Worshiper.

[​IMG]

99% Syrah co-fermented with 1% Roussane. I know we're not point chasers here but the Wine Advocate gave it a 98. Moderate amount of oak. Blue berries, violets, old leather, smoked meat, bacon fat, tobacco. I know you guys don't think much of Paso, but for about $55 or $60, you really need to try it.

19. Manton

It's not that I dislike Paso, it's that I really enjoy making fun of you for liking Paso.

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Well that's a different story...

1 person likes this.