1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I always pick up in store, so I wouldn't know about shipping- they're always receptive to calls, and are wiling to hold wines if you're out of town/etc.

FWIW, its one of the stores Manton recommended when I was asking for rec's in the OC. (it's a merger between BestWinesOnline and WineExchange)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. venividivicibj

Some family birthdays tonight

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Those look very familiar...

4. venividivicibj

Yup, all FP. Vajra always a favorite(and 2013 was supposed to be an epic vintage in Piedmont), beresan was good with the steak. The Tenet Syrah was much more forward and darker than the others - the favorite of several attendees

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Did you buy any of The Jack Syrah (saviah cellars)? I expect the pundit to be similar for some reason, though I've not opened any of the pundit yet.

6. venividivicibj

I did, but I gave it away as part of my SF secret Santa present so can't compare

7. Piobaire

Hah, when I saw that pick, I figured it was you.

I've only had one of each, but if I remember correctly, the Pundit was hotter and more fruit, The Jack more like what I expect a WA Syrah to be. Not 100% sure on my memory here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  8. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

I wish we had a running counter of bottles ordered on FP from styleforum, really curious.

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

10. Piobaire

All told I'm probably 15-20 cases from them at this point.

11. venividivicibj

If your description is true, I should have given him the pundit and kept the Jack haha

12. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

You see what happens when your wine freezes or gets cooked mid shipment? Ugh. Kinda pissed cause I live in South Carolina and it's been low 60s here, so something must have happened en route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

I've been lucky. In the literally hundreds of cases I've had shipped to me only one order ended up dead and that was a UPS issue that caused a case direct from the producer to be about two weeks in transit.

Did you contact the people involved yet?

14. venividivicibj

Do you know where it was shipped from? You should be able to tell the retailer and they'll replace

15. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

It was direct from Trefethen Winery. I already left them a message on Friday cause I think they were closed. I'm sure they'll take care of it, I just hate seeing 2013 Reserve Napa wines ruined like that! To think what could have been lol!

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Devil's share.

1 person likes this.
  17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

1986 Gruaud Larose is baging'. Perfect bottle. Arguably not yet mature but fully drinkable now and very memorable. I can still taste it.

1 person likes this.
  18. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Well-Known Member

we blindly buy 6 bottles to a case of Terres Dorées l'ancien vintage to vintage, delicious with roast chicken, easily mistaken for a bottle of burgundy. It's the closest thing we have to a "house wine". Worth trying the white as well. We like Coudert's clos de la roilette, the vendage tardive typically needs at least five years in the cellar, we have about 24 bottles in the cellar. George Descombe's 2014s were very pretty, I've also had Ducroux's Vin de France Exspectatia, worth seeking out and well priced

here in ny we have chamber street wines carrying on Joe Dressner's tradition of the natural wine movement (though I'm sure he'd have hated calling it a movement) and they have a great selection of Beaujolais.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

If it shipped ground, there were record cold temps the beginning of last week. You may want to wait until spring or get next day air if you want to avoid damage. I currently have some waiting until probably May to ship.

20. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

These were taaaaassssty last night with dry aged prime rib roast...super classic and super drinkable. You don't hear much about 1979, but very underrated in both Burgundy and Bordeaux...Happy Holidays to all!

[​IMG]

7 people like this.