1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wine shops will sell them in the high $50s. At restaurants, I've occasionally seen them for under $100 (at the Modern, for instance, not sure if that price still holds though).

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

@CBrown85 here's a maker you might look for. I landed four of these @ $25 (Full Pull) and have enjoyed his Board Track line in the past. This is 2014 so going down to sleep.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ I'm a big fan of Beresan Cabernet - FP offers it for, I think, $20 and I think the current vintage offered is '09 or '10

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I just stocked in six bottles of the '10 for that. I took delivery of six cases on Thursday from them.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Just had it yesterday - had previously had the Stone River (Cab/Syrah/Merlot/CabFranc). Really good QPR, everyone liked it.

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I'll keep a lookout. They don't seem to have it at the BCL but the local Everything Wine might.

I've really enjoyed Washington pinos in the past but I haven't had a non-blend cab in so l Nah I was hankerin'

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

IMO the stone river was not as good as the Cab. Was that your opinion as well?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I preferred the cab, but still liked both. For ~$20 both are very good values for cabs with 5 years of bottle age

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've had Selosse exactly once (Initial, about 3 years ago), and I liked it very much. I imagine you would, too, if you like the oxidative style in Champagne. It was worth the price to try it and see what the fuss was all about, but I can't really imagine buying it regularly unless I had much more money to throw around than I do. There's too much excellent Champagne out there at half the price or less, including some that I honestly prefer to the Selosse that I had regardless of price.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

2000 Chateau Langlais again. Love that lead pencil.

1 person likes this.
  11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

As an aside, @davidbeckwith's instagram is fucking unbelievable.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You need to continue exploring Old World if the graphite is your friend. Manton is probably the king of low cost, drinkable Bordeaux.

1 person likes this.
  13. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I've been on Old World since I tasted my first aged Bordeaux (Lannessan 01) when I was in my early 20s, only been experimenting with the New World for the past few years. Manton has given a lot of really great suggestions.

A few local varietals have given me the flavours I look for, but they don't come cheap.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

[​IMG]

These were the Krug I tried at the tasting. I thought the pours were relatively generous. I probably tasted at least 60-80 different champagnes. The champagne is so acidic that my mouth was numb and the gums hurt for quite a few days. Not sure if I would do that again.

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I've been suffering from repetitive drinking injuries for quite some time now.

I've not had those vintages;I think the 95 or 98 is the last vintage I've had. I may also be in the minority in not liking Krug Rose'.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  16. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Last time I have tried Krug Brut, was about 6-7 years ago. It had ubiquitous vanilla taste that overwhelmed everything, similar to other commercial brands like Cliquot, Taittinger, Dom P. , come to mind. However I have tried Cliquot a few weeks ago and it was completely different wine from what I remember. It was enjoyable, balanced and toasty with nice balanced acidity I guess they have improved, may be stopped topping their wines with something vanilla-awful. I am not planning to try any of the other suspects, as they are terrifically overpriced , but something has changed for the better, at least at Cliquot.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  17. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Can we get a review on the flavor?

18. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

:cheers:

19. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

How has this been tasting the last couple times you tried it?
    I'm thinking of opening my bottle soon... What do you recommend in terms of time spent decanting?

20. Principle

Principle Senior member

Just watched the Rudy Kurniawan doc on Netflix. There's gotta be redeeming elements to being able to blend wine so well, right? If someone could blend me up the great Burgundy for a fraction of the price, I'd try it. Selling it as the real thing is obviously problematic, but maybe this will be a thing one day.