• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
there are few things worse in life than a mouth full of unexpected wine sediment

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
regarding decanting and price, I really don't think there is a connection. I have in my "cellar" a few cases of $10-$15 wine that I routinely decant for at least an hour--I think it needs the air. This is especially true of Madiran.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And if you end up with an unexpected mouthful of those other few things you might have to closely examine how you spend your time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

regarding decanting and price, I really don't think there is a connection. I have in my "cellar" a few cases of $10-$15 wine that I routinely decant for at least an hour--I think it needs the air. This is especially true of Madiran.

And conversely I have some Left Coast wines that come in way over $30 that have zero need for a decant.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a 2009 bord last night with a ton of sediment. Though I decant more to open up the flavors in the wine and less about sediment. Sediment is a easy thing to avoid getting in a glass if you just pay attention.

I kinda like the elegance/technique of pouring out an old bottle over a candle for just this purpose.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

29F137CD-DC93-4084-96C7-ED9E00DBDBD9-5056-000003B3AC76D72B_zps0e856d18.jpg

Both very good. The Klee Pinot I thought was amazing for a whooping $20. Definitely a good value. The Red Newt was new to me, but what I thought was really cool was this little chart on the back and goes along with a recent conversation about residual sugar labeling...

67DC02AE-B076-4F49-B048-15E7DAFA420B-5056-000003B3B212C256_zpsb80b870a.jpg

How was the cab franc? Never tries a fl cab franc before but been wanting to try

I had this for my birthday

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fill is totally fine for a 68. Sorry to hear it wasn't so good though.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gavi time today.

The right one, Marchese di Barolo Gavi, smells extremely sulfuric. Like when you buy some vacuumized pork that smells sulfuric (happens sometimes). Off bottle? Taste is ok, though I think I taste something off. Didn't want to delve further into it, since the smell is off-putting and I'll likely return it. Never had a white wine that smelled like it before.

Michele Chiarlo seems to be a good, known producer. The nose is fresh. Citrus and apple/pear? Obviously(?) good amount of acidity. Tart. Maybe some oak? If so, I would prefer less. Maybe it's just the tartness. Overall a good upscale daily drinking wine.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was flipping through the channels on a TV at the gym and caught Gail Simmons on some no-name daytime talk show. She was blind tasting cheap and expensive versions of some varietals. She ended up picking (with a strong preference) an $8 Trader Joe's Sauvignon Blanc over Silex. Wasn't sure whether to :D or :fu:

She also picked Two Buck Chuck over some pricey Cab Sauv I'd never heard of. (Maybe she had some sort of deal with TJ's.)

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Was flipping through the channels on a TV at the gym and caught Gail Simmons on some no-name daytime talk show. She was blind tasting cheap and expensive versions of some varietals. She ended up picking (with a strong preference) an $8 Trader Joe's Sauvignon Blanc over Silex. Wasn't sure whether to :D or :fu:

She alos picked Two Buck Chuck over some pricey Cab Sauv I'd never heard of. (Maybe she had some sort of deal with TJ's.)

i've always suspected that she has awful taste.

suspicion confirmed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
She's from Toronto. This is to be expected. :devil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics