1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

The government is just killing us- such a shame.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This any good? This girl I'm seeing leaves it on her shelf as a decoration.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Small producer. Lively acid, good fruit, but tannins telling me drink up.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

This is one of my all time favorite vintages of this wine.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oldest Mondavi I've had recently was the 1987, which turned out to be the best from that decade. (On release, I though the '85 would be the clear winner, and it was great in its youth and early middle age, but dried out early.) The '87 is still alive an elegant, but faded and very tertiary. I like it, but it's kind of a "cheese wine" at this point.

The 1990s vintages are mostly all great right now, but they've peaked and won't get better. If you have any, make a plan and drink them. Generally well priced, too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Where do you get bottles that old? Are there local stores or have you been keeping them since their release?

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've bought a lot on release, it's one of my favorite wines and always has been. But it also turns up frequently on the secondary market at very reasonable prices.

1 person likes this.
  8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Are you allowed to say that? If you do you must say it in French too!!!!

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Try auctions. I bought all my really old wines at wine auctions. That way you get to try what you want often and 1/3 of retail. I would be careful though with really old wines. I purchased many 60s and 70s French Bordeaux vintages and they mostly have been underwhelming. Perhaps there are some exceptional wine from particular producer that are worth a try. My exp. taught me to stay away from very old wines. I would not consider anything older than say 1990. Then I read a long article about vintage wines that explained that they were made differently those days and really were rough when young and required long maturation to mellow out. Modern wines, say from 90s and up do not require long time in the cellar and best to be drank sooner. I think 10-15 years were max for modern wines then they don't get any better, the article stated.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. alexg

alexg Senior member

Tried Clos Rougeard for the first time tonight. Pretty damn good, I can see the hype.

1 person likes this.
  11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Tonight the 2014 "The Jack" Syrah, from Saviah Cellars. Probably some of the FP members on here have some at home or on order. Pretty complex and very nice QPR

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Was going to try it next week - you going to re-order?

14. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I've got a ton of "drink now" inexpensive Syrah and Rhone blends in my cellar right now, plus I've got a couple more bottles, so probably not. But for someone in need or want of some good "weeknight" Syrah, I'd say go for it!

2 people like this.
  15. b1os

b1os Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Bought my first wine at auction (online)!

2011 Milz-Laurentiushof Leiterchen Feinherb Erste Lage

N.V. Marie Demets Brut Tradition, 1.5ltr

1999 Leonetti Cellar Columbia Valley Merlot

1997 Domaine du Colombier Hermitage

2009 Cayuse En Cerise Vineyard Syrah

Champs I bought to bring to a NYE party

Leonetti I bought cause I've never had anything from Leonetti and I hear that the turn of the century stuff from the good WA producers is noteworthy. Also it will be the oldest red wine I've consumed.

I have the 2011 and 2012 Columbier Hermitage from FP, so I figured it would be cool to have a mature one as well

Cayuse because, why not? Never had it, never going to get any unless at auction anyhow.

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

[​IMG]

Very meaty with dark fruits not very tannic- - from full pull.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Let us know if that feinherb is bone dry. ;)

19. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Yeah, had to see what the brouhaha is all about!

1 person likes this.
  20. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Handed off a case of what should be daily drinkers to my girlfriend to take home (I'm at school 5 hours away): half a case of the San Felice Chianti and half of a case of Chateau Toulon red blend (both from FP). I have a half case of the 2010 Torre Oria and a half case of that Italian Rose. Hopefully they'll be in before I leave for Thanksgiving so I can take them home with me. I think I might put together a case of the stuff that absolutely isn't ready to drink for at least a few years and put them in a wine locker when I go home for Thanksgiving too (things like La Rata, Figgins, Cameron, etc.)

Also was at the Greenbrier again last weekend. Wine list is awesome there, but we only had one seated dinner while I was there due to our alma mater playing at 8 PM on Saturday. Ordered the '03 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia again, and it was a hit. Luckily the somm came back to ask if I ordered the '03 or the '73, or else two bottles of that would have left a significantly different bill.

edit: remembered a lot of details wrong, rechecked and fixed. Heredia, and '03, not '13, which obviously hasn't been released yet

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016