• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

apparently he's doing his own thing, and it'll be more blog like with frequent updates instead of one big newsletter. IMO, it has the chance to be 91+ points in quality (/cellartracker dig)

With Antonio at the helm, it'll be a consistent 94. Sometimes in the 96+ range.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We had an 07 Chehelam Ian's Reserve Pinot. It was really quite good. Oregon Pinot is quite often nice stuff.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a 2010 Doennhoff Weissburgunder S tonight. Picked it up when we visited Doennhoff a couple of years ago on the honeymoon as a curiosity more than anything.

It was not bad. Not great--it spent some time on new oak, and I didn't feel the oak was well enough integrated. But still, we enjoyed it, and it was fun trying a bottling like that from probably our favorite producer.

Last edited:

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a 2010 Doennhoff Weissburgunder S tonight. Picked it up when we visited Doennhoff a couple of years ago on the honeymoon as a curiosity more than anything.

It was not bad. Not great--it spent some time on new oak, and I didn't feel the oak was well enough integrated. But still, we enjoyed it, and it was fun trying a bottling like that from probably our favorite producer.

Probably one of my favorite producers now - I don't know about the 'S' bottling but I really like the weissburgunder and grauburgunders from Donnhoff - we had these two recently over dinner and didn't find them oaky in the least - maybe the age allowed them to integrate? Nevertheless, really enjoyable whites and very food friendly:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, possibly. I am admittedly very sensitive to new oak in white wines--it doesn't take much for me to not like it. In this bottle, the oak was just a bit too one note. Perhaps some age would have helped it integrate a bit more.

Honestly, I'm trying to recall what was different about the S bottling. It's definitely dryer than their normal Weissburgunder bottling, but I can't recall if it was cellared differently--it very well could have been oaked differently.

Regardless, it was a fun bottle. And yeah, Doennhoff :fistbump: Great, great producer.

G

Griffindork

de Montille's '93 volnay les mitans. from back when Hubert was still making the wine. I thought I would check in, but I've committed a sin by opening this 20 years too early.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night had an '07 Chateau Mathieu Chateuneuf du Papes. Typically I've loved how 07's are drinking from Rhone but this was a miss. Too jammy and overdone. Oh well. I'm attending a Barolo tasting on Wednesday so I should return with some good loot.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A belated Valentines day meal for my wife and a few friends. Selosse Brut with caviar creme fraiche and blinis, and chaource and baguette, Ramey Sonoma Coast Chard with lobster pot pie, 88 Montebello with cheeses, and 68 Jimsomare Zin as a novelty.

ETA: the Selosse is better than the Pol Roger WC, by a lot, at least at this point in time. It' has an incredibly fine bead, like none I've experienced before.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Montreal, last weekend. Oh man!

Tonight. Wine was rough and ready, but pleasant.
Is that Tres Picos? That's a nice go to house wine that's pretty consistent. Not something you're going to ponder over an evening, but it's slurpable and easy to drink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads