1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

^^ I agree - Monasterio de las Vinas, either the Crianza, Reserva or Gran Reserva, is a part of my regular rotation at home.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Cooking conejo con samfaina right now--a Catalonian rabbit stew with onions/garlic/peppers/aubergine/tomatoes--and just finished off yesterday's bottle of Antinori's Chainti Classico Riserva 2009 along with the rabbit's innard (liver, kidneys, heart, lung). Liver and kidneys are very delicious, the heart and lung are pretty good, the wine always delivers. It was my last bottle. :(

I've opened a bottle of Lanessan 2003 now. Good stuff, maybe a tad hot. A bit more body than the other 2000-2002 bordeauxs I've had in the past few months, iirc.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I bought my Total Wine out of 2003 Lanessan back in like 2013. Wish I had some more.

2 people like this.
  4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

If I could find some I'd own a bunch for sure. It's been out here for a while.

5. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

84 Ridge Montebello tonight. Fantastic bottle - concentrated red and black fruit, leather and tobacco. Round tannins and a long elegant finish
    [​IMG]

Stark contrast to a few 82 and 84 mondavis we opened over the weekend that were all well past peak.

5 people like this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

From FP - very good QPR for ~$10

[​IMG]

Interesting combo-
    70 Temp/30 Cab

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I requested a half case of those and split the rest of a case with the pinot noir offerings that came in today. Also have a case of relatively inexpensive stuff on its way now, so I'm pretty pumped about that. My girlfriend is going to shit a brick though if I come home after this semester with 3+ cases of wine. Might have to get a locker when I'm home for thanksgiving and put away a couple cases then.

8. venividivicibj

I was really thinking about the pinots today, ending up passing - didn't know really anything about the producer. Let me me know how it is

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I'm admittedly not the biggest pinot fan, but I know my girlfriend, her mother and her grandmother really enjoy pinot noirs, and my intent was to buy the pinot noirs for them. I think I got 2 of the Cameron and 4 of the Walter Scott. I'll have at least a glass of them whenever I open a bottle, so I'll let you know when they get opened(probably around Thanksgiving or Christmas).

Also just put in a request for 6 of the Italian Rose from last week. The price was great, and my girlfriend loves Rose because it's "on brand" for her business (color scheme, brand theme, that sort of jazz). So even if it isn't the perfect sparkling wine for me, it'll work for her purposes. Hopefully it'll be a sparkling wine I like (just read up on the ratings for residual sugar in case anyone saw my pre-edit post), because generally the champagnes I like are demi-secs, but we shall see.

Also put in for 2 of the Figgins. Figure it'll sit away with my La Rata for a couple years, and will be in a perfect place to drink once I'm done with school once and for all.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  10. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Is that the '09 or the '10?

I ordered 4 of the '09 and thought it was great. Tried to re-order to no avail. Ordered 8 of the 2010, hoping it is as good!

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I ordered a quarter case. I am glad it was tasty - and the price ain't that bad. Also, I am only up to a case... and most of it was the under 20 stuff :). I have exercised restraint.

12. venividivicibj

The '09.

K&L is doing their big Bordeaux tasting this Saturday

$50 for these wines

2014 d'Yquem "Y Blanc" Bordeaux Blanc $139.99
    2012 Margaux du Chateau Margaux, Margaux $99.99
    1998 Haut-Bailly, Pessac-Léognan $109.99
    1996 Vieux Château Certan, Pomerol $149.99
    2000 Brane-Cantenac, Margaux $129.99
    2000 Léoville-Poyferré, St-Julien $199.99
    2013 Cos d'Estournel, St-Estèphe $129.99
    2013 Margaux, Margaux $359.99
    2012 Mouton Rothschild $449.99

Worth it? Anyone been to their big tastings before? (Opposed to their usual weekly ones)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I'd do it, but I've had very little experience tasting good Bordeaux, so it's probably worth more to me

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'd do it for sure just because it's hard for us folks in the hinterlands to get tastings like that.

15. concealed

concealed Senior member

you better be going to this tonight.

16. Drinker

Drinker New Member

Can brandy taste corked if made from corked wine?

17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Ugh- the "regular price" of those wines makes me sad. We're easily 2x what's listed there.

18. venividivicibj

You're in Canada right?
    : ( I hear horror stories about the shoe/clothing tariffs too

19. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

[​IMG]

2012 Upchurch cab. (Upchurch Vineyard Red Mountain)

Chris Upchurch is the longtime lead winemaker at DeLille Cellars.

The wine is tasty, but at this moment its richness strays a bit towards cloying. I'm very surprised at it's lack of structure, especially considering it's youth. In my current wine drinking mode, I'd much rather have three bottles of a nicely aged Rioja than a bottle of this.

20. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Everything is more expensive and the pay is lower! #GreatWhiteNorth