1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No. A trocken kabinett will be kabinett due to ripeness level of the grape at harvest and will be trocken due to sugar level at bottling.

1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Feinherb is not bone dry but rather off-dry.

I'm out of this one.

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Um, yeah. The designation of ripeness level at picking is modified to indicate residual sugar at bottling. The producer isn't naming the wine based on ripeness level because that doesn't tell you what's in the bottle.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No, no it's not. I just had a master fucking somm lecture me on this a few weeks ago. But whatever you say, brah.

1 person likes this.
  5. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Feinherb can mean anything from dry to sweet. But feinherb auslese indicates a dry wine in my experience. If you've had contrary ones then name the wine.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Whatever you say, brah.

7. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Whoa! A master fucking somm lecture! Amazing brah! That's huge! Holy shit! I didn't realize I was interacting with a guy that went to a lecture! Holy fuck!

8. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Yup. Lecture over bitch.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think everyone reading this is quite clear who the bitch is here, bitch.

The thing about wrestling in the mud with a pig is...the pig likes it. Have fun, bitch.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  10. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Doesn't seem like you like it. You want some more? The thing about drinking wines is, well, you have to actually drink them to understand. Lectures are great, brah, but if you don't actually drink German wines maybe you're missing something. Maybe? No?

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

:marchal: Wine so srs.

1 person likes this.
  13. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Hard to turn down another cheapie with some age. $30CAD

[​IMG]

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did four blind tastings with a couple somm buddies. I nailed all four today (a first) but was disappointed I was not presented with a Riesling. :lol:

Sipping the Rivata Barbaresco 2011 from today. I'll be honest, it's a tough wine to like without food. The mushroom gill aromas and tastes are a bit overwhelming at this moment for me. I was excited to properly call this wine as I do not drink a lot of Nebbiolo.

1 person likes this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't understand how you can be so confident yet so wrong.

The pradikat levels have requirements for range of degrees oeschle which is the density of grape must and translates to sweetness of the grape pre-fermentation not post or at bottling

Feinherb isn't a legally defined term but it tends to be sweeter than halbtrocken which is >12g/L

And I also got the same lecture by a master somm at a tasting. Also had a fun chat about the same thing with Paul Grieco of the Terroir bars and tasted a few fully dry ausleses

You do know you can easily Google these things right? Unless you're trolling

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Nebbiolo is one of my favorites. Any reason why you don't try it more?

1 person likes this.
  17. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

yes, I get all that. My point is that at the end of the day when a producer releases a wine the label used under the pradikat system generally tells you the sweetness of whats in the bottle. A wine picked as auslese level oeschle and fermented to the point of dryness isn't labeled "auslese". Wines picked at BA level might be marked auslese ***, or auslese gk, or auslese LGK.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Probably a combination of a few things including length of time to mature, the relative unapproachable youthful wine, cost of the better expressions, and still learning the producers of note.

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, if you want some earlier to drink ones, there are a few 'Nebbiolo langhes' that I can recommend.

I also have a PDF of Barolo and Barbaresco, King and Queen of Barolo I can email you if you want some reading

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks, mate, but I just want to call it for the exam and I'm happy. Maybe one day I'll wander over that way but it's not turning my crank right now and there's so many other things that are.