1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

My wife is having her baby shower for our first child this weekend, which means tons of family coming in from out of town. The in-laws are huge new world fans and my aunt and uncle are old worlds snobs. New World, Old World - either way I win. Might even break out some large formats. Gonna be a great weekend for all except my wife as she watches us drink [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Congrats! Sounds like fun!

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I put in for the full 12 bottles of that Echo Ridge Cab. Can't turn down that deal and just hope I get the full case.

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Any advice on cellaring time for the 2014 Sea Smokes? Mainly the Ten, Southing, and Chard

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You know the producer? Or just from the description

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Remember having a Frenchie style blend in the last year or so from Rasa and thought it was pretty good. He's doing the wine making apparently, so at $20, what's to lose given the quality of the grape?

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

I have the same problem. I want to take my certified exam soon, but I'm worried if they threw something new world at me it would be pretty difficult. I'm used to drinking weird wines, Public Services is my favorite Houston wine bar.

[​IMG]

This is what I've been drinking today. All three are just absurdly good. The Jauma is way more restrained than I expected, it's actually pretty fruit forward which surprised me. The Lucy Margaux exactly the kind of crazy weird wine you'd expect from them, and the cider is one of the best I've ever had. I'm going to buy myself a case of it.

8. venividivicibj

Just looked up the winemaker on their website - "
    Billo received his BS in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science from MIT and his MS in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University."
    Seems like he's smart enough. Jesus christ.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Maybe we've found Rau-brah's real identify?

1 person likes this.
  10. venividivicibj

haha- I suspect he would have been bragging about tech sheets and state of the art vinification equipment in this thread wayyyy before now.

1 person likes this.
  11. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

Tech guys starting a winery is nothing new. Though I can't find either of the Naravane brothers on Linkedin so I am curious how they actually got started. Probably sold a ton of stocks from a startup to fund this business full time.

A ton of techies from the Bay Area would love to do it - just gotta hit the jackpot first.

12. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I've enjoyed the Jauma that I've had but it is natural wine in the truest sense and my rate of natural wine flaw is much higher than I'm willing to tolerate. I think I had 3 bottles of the biggles that were refermenting in the bottle, as well as a few others that were flawed. I'd tread lightly and think of the jamsheed as a much better bet if you want natural Aussie Shiraz.

13. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like Justin Vann a lot, I like his wine (generally -- his sensibilities are a bit crunchier than mine), I like his spirits, and I like his bar. It's not really convenient for me, though, so I rarely go.

14. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jamsheed was a revelation for me. I thought that I didn't like Aussie Shiraz before I had that. Jamsheed, Hunter Valley Semillon, and Clare Valley Riesling collectively convinced me that I shouldn't write off Australian wine altogether.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Writing off Oz would have been a mistake so glad you didn't. Due to Prohibition in the US I bet they have more 80-100+ year old vines than the US has. Henschke Hill of Grace stands alongside Penfold's Grange but then you come across stuff like this bottling of 100% Grenache from Two Hands I've had...vines from the 1920s. Such a pure expression of the grape. Even value wine like the Fire Block Grenache (about $20 and from truly old vines too).

Agree on the Semillon and Riesling (also check out Eden Valley for them) and don't forget the occasional "sticky," as they call them, from Rutherglen. I've got to try more Chard as I was told they've been cutting back on the oak bombs and turning out some more classically styled Chards too.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just tallied up my Full Pull that's been confirmed. Eleven cases. :slayer:

17. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I can't stop buying 2015 Germans. I took my allocations and just kept on going. It's past the point of good sense, but I figure that I'm 39 and it takes 20 years for the wines to reach their peak. Chances are it's the last great vintage I ever buy on release and drink at maturity. Thought that about 2005 burgundy and was wrong, but I'm sure happy to own the wines.

18. venividivicibj

What you getting?

Currently getting
    JJ Prum (WS, Himmelreich)
    Donnhoff (Leistenberg)
    Schafer-Frohlic (Felsenek)
    Burklin-Wolf
    Willi Schaefer (Himmelreich, Domprobst)
    Schloss Lieser (WS)

Mostly kabinetts with a few spatlese mixed in

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  19. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

I bought mostly auslese and GG. Bought as much of the Prum auktion wines as I could get plus the W-S and G-H goldkapsel and the bernkasteler lay just for kicks. Bought a kellerkiste so I got all the Keller GG wines. Lots of Willi Schaefer, Reinhold Haart, Julian Haart, a little bit of Lauer, Schafer Frolich, Selbach Oster, Donnhoff, Grunhaus. Everything is still so cheap.

20. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I picked up 3 today :)

1 person likes this.