1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Also, having spent the last couple days in Lyon, the wife and I made a rather harrowing trip (by bus) to Tain l'Hermitage yesterday to gaze upon The Hill. In terms of tasting rooms, Jaboulet was closed, Chapoutier was terrible, so I ended up at Cave de Tain (a co-op) which, while not the most prestigious, was very kind and gave a thoughtful and thorough tasting to my wife and I. We bought a trio of bottles, and opened one today when we arrived in Cannes! Was sort of struck by the similarities of the (entry level) Hermitage and some of the Washington Syrah in my own cellar.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

French people were running it.

4. venividivicibj

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

There was no guided tasting at all, it was: here is the list, point at something to try (it's a giant producer so there were like 30+ things from all over the rhone) and I will pour you a taste and walk away. But you can't try some of them (not clear which).

So I asked what we should start with, the reply was "whatever you want to try"

So I said we like all kinds of wine and are really looking for your suggestion as to where to start and how to proceed. Again the response was pretty much the same.

Maybe it's my bad for expecting a more guided or structured tasting. But I expected chapoutier of all places would be able to offer that.

Cave de Tain in comparison walked us through increasing levels of whites, explaining the differences, then did the same for reds. Was enjoyable and very informative!

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Too young or drinkable?

[​IMG]

7. venividivicibj

I'd wait most Barolos need ~ ten years. If you don't mind the tannins/eating with food, you can try with a decant

'10 was a good year in Barolo

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Was sort of hoping one of our Eye-tie philes might have a line on the producer.

9. venividivicibj

Tends to be modernist, uses barriques rather than the botte ( big barrels), short maceration times

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

http://www.ledgevineyards.com/

Try and get some. Partied with these folks several times and they're really passionate and dedicated to their wine and family business.

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Lanessan was my first actual Bordeaux- the one that got me hooked on non-terrible wine. Haven't seen it locally forever. I think it was a '98... or an '00. I can't remember exactly which. I'm still hard-pressed to find anything with that quality to price ratio.

Montus is good, too. Don't have experience with any old ones, so I've probably been committing infanticide.

12. venividivicibj

The K&L in hollywood had the '99 last week for only ~$19.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

There are practice test questions available and they're great. What's better is that the material they give you online is what they use to test you on. The list with liqueurs and cocktails especially you should memorize cuz that's part of the service portion

But from what I remember you get membership automatically when you pay for the exam

1 person likes this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pay to join as I don't expect them to put the location I plan to take it onto their calendar for some months. I'm hoping to take it next fall.

15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Just grabbed 3 bottles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Good vintage, good producer. I'm jealous.

17. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Most likely oxidized. Fevre is just about the worst of the premox offenders (maybe not as bad as Colin-Deleger but close). A shame as the wines seemed headed for greatness, but white burgundy post '95 has the plague and you buy at your own risk, unless its says "Coche" or "D'auvenay" on it.

18. venividivicibj

^ very possible, but wouldnt the retailer let him bring it back if it were premoxed? (assuming it wasnt bought at auction)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  19. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Damn. Bought it at Auction. Thanks guys.

20. venividivicibj

Ah, well good luck - you might be able to tell ahead of time because of the color.