• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and the Oliver Leflaive Bourgogne Blancs is my go-to value Burg

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend any good (value) white Burgundy? I keep seeing references to them in cookbooks but I've yet to try one.

For a really special wine with character that won't break the bank, Macon Verze by Leflaive is about $35 and always excellent.

:teach: From the Delicious Wines threak ...

Not my picture, but we enjoyed a fair amount of this over the holidays. I'd say it was finely balanced, well suited to food and judging by the quantities our guests consumed, eminently delicious: 2009 Leflaive Macon-Verze... about $30

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok so I have come to the conclusion that CdP is my favorite red. So earthy, smells great in the glass, really love it. Not wasting my time with anything else going forward, unless it's Burgundy or Piedmont or Champagne.

FTFY

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm too poor and not patient enough for burgundy. I have come to terms.

Huge +1 to this. Sigh.

I have an uncle-in-law who loves red burgundy and has a huge cellar full of it. Every now and then, when my wife and I are in town, we will drink some of it. It is always an incredible experience.

And then I go and look at what these things cost, and how long most of them need to sit.... And I resign myself to drinking them pretty much only with my in-law, or when on the expense account.

Sigh.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well it doesn't seem to have to sit very long, but spending a lot of money on water is always a huge kick in the teeth, (and the wallet).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I feel like this topic comes up every few months on the wine threak. There are those who compare Burg to a minefield and a waste of money. And then there are others (me, matt, slew, manton) who love Burgundy and have had great luck. Ok, maybe it's not luck at all.

$20 for a Drouhin Cote de Beaune or $30 for a Bachelet Bourgogne Rouge strike me as great value plays.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but spending a lot of money on water is always a huge kick in the teeth, (and the wallet).

Well, plenty of people could say that spending a lot of money on sheep's hair is a kick in the teeth too, but... This is SF! :D

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Well it doesn't seem to have to sit very long, but spending a lot of money on water is always a huge kick in the teeth, (and the wallet).

IMO, some age can really benefit a solid Burg. I bought a 2002 Bachelet Bourgogne at Crush a few weeks ago and it was a killer wine that really benefited from the time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will third Mongeard Cdn fourth Domaine Pierre Guillemot, and fifth Philippe Pacalet Pomard

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

IMO, some age can really benefit a solid Burg. I bought a 2002 Bachelet Bourgogne at Crush a few weeks ago and it was a killer wine that really benefited from the time.

Well yes, but it they don't need 30 years.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like this topic comes up every few months on the wine threak. There are those who compare Burg to a minefield and a waste of money. And then there are others (me, matt, slew, manton) who love Burgundy and have had great luck. Ok, maybe it's not luck at all.

$20 for a Drouhin Cote de Beaune or $30 for a Bachelet Bourgogne Rouge strike me as great value plays.

This is fair. Don't get me wrong--I *love* Red Burgundy. It is my platonic ideal of a red wine. It really is.

It just pains me because I know I have neither the wallet nor the patience to enjoy the good stuff.

Entry level Burgs definitely have a place in my cellar (well, closet really... That's another problem) and I do enjoy them--but they are very clearly not the pinnacle of their grape. I do think that you can get better, more elegant wines in the $30 range than many Burgs. But, sometimes you just want a Burg, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't think finding good Burg is luck, except for the inevitable roulette you play with old bottles, but that's got nothing to do with Burg, all old wines have that risk. Just like any other wine, once you get an idea of the sub-regions, importers, producers, etc, it becomes pretty simple to find wine that will at least not be flawed. Might not be really what you wanted, but it won't likely be *bad*. Affording it is another problem.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads