1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Im gonna log everything and email my insurance guy. I hope they wont need appraisals. At least the insurance company will know about it if anything happens before I get anything setup. We switched insurance a couple months back and I remember the new guy asking about stuff like this (valuables that might need seperate coverage). Totally didnt think about my whisky.

Thanks guys

2. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Drank this bottle tonight with dinner... This is the first wine I've tried from this, apparently famous, Rhone-producer/consultant.
    It's a 2012 vintage and extremely delicious (CAD$18).
    [​IMG]

Bought this one today for CAD$19... I believe I've drank it before at my parents but can't quite remember.
    [​IMG]

3. lone wheeler

lone wheeler Member

Love Muga Rioja, used to be my go to wine when we had a place in Murcia.

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Agreed The Rioja Muga is the tits. I have half a case.

Don't worry about aging. It ages really really really really slowly.

5. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Celebrating an unexpected promotion today. Still hard to believe this is from MA - anyone local to Boston who hasn't tried it should definitely seek it out.[​IMG] Age showing really nicely on this bottle.

1 person likes this.
  6. lone wheeler

lone wheeler Member

The Muga white Rioja isn't bad either.

7. NycLondon

NycLondon Well-Known Member

seriously bubbly with no mousse is BETTER? That is bad champagne.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish we got more Bedrock in my market. I've loved everything that I've had, but I rarely see anything other than the Old Vine Zin and the North Coast Syrah,

10. venividivicibj

Those are usually the only ones available for sale to non-mailing list members - some stores have more, but in very very small quantities.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My somm friend gave me a couple of the Red Blend. It was really good.

12. venividivicibj

I'm trying to hold off and age the ones I have - will try in a few years : (

13. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Eh, I've seen 4 or 5 different single vineyard wines at local wine stores in NJ.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just got back from SF/Napa/Sonoma.

On our way up we saw Domaine Carneros, as we got there kind fo late and wanted to see just one napa spot before hitting up ad hoc (we spent the prior part of the day hiking in muir woods).

First day in wine country we did a Platypus wine tour just as kind of an intro to how the wine tasting thing worked The tour took us to Inspiracion, Campagna ranch, Desmond, and Twomey. Then my gf and I went on our own and hit up Porter Creek, Arista, and Moshin and Ridge before heading back down to the city along the coast.

The wine tour turned me onto the tasting wheel which was I think the best thing about it. Not the biggest fan of Russian River pinots by the end because I'm not super into the big dark fruit notes (I liked the ones with a bit of earthiness). However, the meritage blends that I tasted I loved--if I went back, I'd want to try some napa meritages, though I'm not a fan of napa styles generally. Also was turned onto how great california Zinfandel is--as a fan of Italian reds, it felt very similar to that style but still california--more fruit forward, but softer tannins and good acidity. White wise, I was a little meh (not a huge fan of oaky chardonnays, and a surprisingly few number of unoaked chardonnays, considering how much seafood is in the bay area). Definitely want to check out the Anderson valley when I go back, which, from what I gathered, is more my style all around (more delicate pinots, dry resilings and gewurztraminers).

My wine haul: [​IMG]

drank/ate at: Bourbon and branch (superior to any speakeasy in NYC), Flour+water (hit and miss on dishes, felt very "generic NYC hipster place" but the highs were pretty high), Ad hoc (great food, literally cried at the level of nostalgia ratatouille style, but super shitty service), the Girl and the fig (grilled peaches were maybe some of the best things we are out here), Scopa (fine enough, felt like an West village spot), Bear republic (I love the way they make bar food in California, beer was great), Chez panisse (ah-mazing just all around) and Swan's oyster house (gf loved it. I thought it was fine).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. concealed

concealed Senior member

order online

16. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

In Texas, I can only order legally from the winery, and I'm currently on the waiting list to get on the mailing list.

Some wines from this week (all pilfered images):

[​IMG]

I believe that this is all declassified Meursault juice, and I was expecting something golden yellow and a bit fat. It's not. Pale, lots of acidity, some wood but not overpoweringly so. It's just delicious. I mentioned to the guy at the place where I ordered it that it wasn't what I expected, and he said, "Yeah, I always call Roulot wrong in blind tastings." "What do you call it?" "Puligny-Montrachet." I can see that.

[​IMG]

I had the 2014 vintage. Laurent Tribut is Dauvissat's son-in-law, and you can tell, both from the way his labels look and the way his Chablis tastes. Abundant fruit, but still leesy, chalky, and flinty. No oak that I could detect. It was very good, but I think that the regular Villages bottling offers a lot of the same at a much better price.

[​IMG]

I had the 2013 version of this. It was slightly off-dry; I'd call it feinherb or halbtrocken if it were German. It presented very much like a Riesling without the petrol note, with high acid, citrus, and lots of minerals. I've liked just about everything I've had from Teutonic with the exception of their sparkling wine, which smelled exactly like dill pickle juice. As far as Silvaner goes, I think I like Domaine Weinbach's version better (for less money), but this isn't bad.

[​IMG]

Serveaux Fils is a Vallee de la Marne winery, so this is mostly Pinot Meunier. Meunier is supposed to be extremely fruity, but I never really get that from it: to me, it's always been mostly herbal. This was herbal, too. It was pleasant, but I was looking for something either super-yeasty or something with lots of strawberries and raspberries; and this wasn't it.

17. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

You hit some of the solid usual suspects. B+B (+1), Ad Hoc (I've been there more than any other restaurant -- but the last 3 times have not been nearly as good as the first 15), G+F (too many figs in too many things and an overly "rustic" atmosphere, but +1 on the peaches), BR (yes, yes, yes), CP (one of the first farm to table before the world knew what that meant). All around -- a solid tour.

On the wine front, glad you discovered Porter Creek - that's a great winery and under the radar. Ridge is epic - if you want age-worthy zins, Paul Draper knows how to make them -- historically many of these have been built for the *very* long haul.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Yeah my mom has a sulfite sensitivity so she loves the porter creek wines. Unfortunately, my ability to age right now isn't so great as I don't have a dedicated place to store wine (though a wine fridge is on my wish list)

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

So does your mom!

Oh wait, that doesn't work . . .

20. Principle

Principle Senior member

Recent pick up.

Is this port worth hanging onto?

[​IMG]