The Official Whisk(e)y Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Tyto, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

TJ's was (and is still) selling their own bottlings of Aberlour 10-yr and MacAllan 10-yr (a really nice single malt) for $20-$25. Great bargains both.

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

A few others that haven't been mentioned yet: Van Winkle -- a lot of good bottlings. Julian Van Winkle makes a wheated bourbon that's a step up from Maker's Mark (although MM certainly is very good whisky). I have the 10 YO, and I lust after some of the older bottlings. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is also the best rye whiskey I've tried. Johnnie Walker Black -- I know, I know, it's a blended Scotch. But it's blended so well. More enjoyable to me than many single malts that I've tried, and not a bad price, either. Crown Royal -- Just the regular old Crown Royal, not the Special Reserve stuff, which I don't particularly like. Very mellow, and yet it has character. And there's always Laphroig...

3. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

The Van Winkle Family Reserve is on my list to try--everyone I know who has tried it has recommended it. And anyway, I like rye. Also, I agree with you regarding Johnnie Black. Its base is Lagavulin, plus a little bit of Talisker, and that nice smokiness really comes through, with enough non-Islay in the blend to really round things out nicely. And, much as I like Johnnie Gold, I think Black really holds its own and represents a far better overall bargain at under $30, versus over $50 for Gold. In stark contrast, I think Green and Blue are far, far overpriced for what they are. I'm not sure what Green wants to be, and for $50 I'm not up for sharing its journey of self-discovery. Blue, at over $150 these days, has almost no body and very low complexity. It has no age statement because the youngest whisky in the blend is about 8 years old, but the oldest whisky in the blend is something like 30. Unfortunately, the character of the blend says to me that 30 years was too long, and whatever strength of character that may have existed in the new make was aged out of it. And if you like Laphroaig, surely you'd drink Lagavulin or Ardbeg...

4. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

For a good "starter" single malt, I'd recommend the Glenmorganie 10 year old (I believe Glenmorganie comes from the Northern Highlands region). This is supposedly the most popular scotch in Scotland. It's reasonably priced for a single malt (around $40 maybe), and I enjoy it quite a bit. Glenmorganie also produces some older scotches, and the prices go up accordingly. Most seem to get good reviews Laphroaig is an Islay scotch and has quite a bite to it. Most people either love Islay scotches or hate them (their unique flavor has something to do with more peat in the Islay water, and more salt in the Islay peat). I have a bottle of Laphroaig, and I pull it out only when I'm really in the mood. For me, it's definitely not an everyday drink. For more information on scotch, this link is a great resource. Regarding blends, I don't have the natural aversion to them that "serious scotch drinkers" seem to have. I read an article (can't remember where) which took the position that scotch drinkers have been brainwashed into believing that a single malt is always the best. The article argued that these people are missing out on some good blends (which, per their name, are blended with the intent to create a better tasting whiskey). I do agree that Johnnie Walker Blue is very overpriced for what it is. I've tried it, and I didn't find it worth the price (of course, when I tried it, the price to me was "free", so I can't complain). Regards, Jeff

5. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

So, aside from Johnnie Black and Johnnie Gold, what are other blends that folks here prefer? I nominate Ballantine's, as well as Haig & Haig's Pinch. I have mixed feelings about Famous Grouse, but I'll give it another shot next week.

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Regarding blends, a friend turned me on to Teacher's back in college. I haven't had it in years, but I remember enjoying it.

Chivas Regal isn't bad, but it's not worth the price ($5 to $10 more than Johnnie Black if memory serves, and not any better - perhaps even a little worse).

Jeff

7. craig

craig Active Member

I am a big fan of Rock Hill Farms Bourbon. A bit expensive, but delicious.

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

(Stu @ April 27 2005,16:26) ....for when your girlfriend dumped you and you want to get comatose....
    Hey I love 101 for sitting around and having a high ball each night after work, nothing wrong with that
    No, of course not. I just have certain memories of college. When I needed to get hammered, I'd call a buddy and we'd sit at a table with a bottle of "Kickin' Chicken" and go to town.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

Jameson's makes an 18-yr-old that goes for quite a bit more. But still, it is less than $40, I believe, and a hell of a deal at that price point. It is far superior to the cheapest one, altho you are right that the cheap Jameson's is fine stuff.

I like a glass of Jameson's, with a capful of water swirled around in it, and Montecristo No. 2.

10. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have Lagavulin and Ardbeg. Perhaps this marks me as an Islay wimp, but I like Laphroig better than either. They're just a bit too much.

11. android

android Member

I haven't tried Jameson's 18 year old, but the 12 year old is my standard. I first had it when I went to Ireland about 10 years ago.

The "age not mentioned" Jameson's doesn't quite do it for me.

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

If this is veering from bourbons into Scotch and Irish whiskeys, I would include Scapa 12 and Macallan 18. I find that both have that smooth and slightly sweet bourbon character. Goes great with tweed and tartan.

13. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Bourbon

AH Hirsch 20 yr. Actually distilled at the Michter distellery in '74 in Pa.

Pappy Van Winkle. Julian also makes the Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. Great guy.

Wild Turkey as a daily drink.

Single Malt

Glenkinchie. lived down the road from the distillery

Blend

Usquaebach. Hard to find but worth it.

Grouse as a daily.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

A bit of a compendium from an older thread on Scotch...
    . And from JFK, who's probably THE scotch man here:
    And this, too:
    Will compile some more in another post. Regards, Huntsman

15. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Someone upthread mentioned Midleton Very Rare. Let me just second this recommendation. It's an Irish whiskey, which puts it in a less followed category, which is a shame in my opinion. This is simply the best whiskey I've ever tasted. Period.