• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official ** Visual Shoe Sizing ** Thread

kwoyeu

Reaction score
when it comes to sizing shoes the chief consideration for many people seems to be internal fit.
on the other hand many other people (among which i count myself) are very particular about how big a shoe looks from the outside, esp. the length.
i cant stand shoes that are so long (see my santoni example below) they draw attention to my miniscule figure, regardless of how comfy they are
outsole measurements are not very useful due to lack of consensus re: how to measure and to different outsole shapes (flat vs. upward pointing for example).
so i hereby propose the official *visual* shoe sizing thread where pictures of shoes from different brands placed size by side are posted and cross-posted to give a visual representation of their relative size.
when posting a shoe with which many people lack experience (a mmm boot, say), a more widely available shoe (cp original achilles low, say) placed size by side is recommended (if available, that is) but of course not required since it's always possible to connect the dots if you know what i mean
beginners can also use this thread to gather a quick and rough idea as to how various brands fit internally (you will quickly realize from the several pics i posted below that cps fit a size large...)

here're my own contributions. more to come. feel free to contribute or cross-post from other threads if applicable (you're welcome to post even if you don't have pictures to contribute! you can still contribute ideas, which are fictions and contrivances of the mind)

personally i'd very much like to see how the following items compare visually to more well-known brands thanssk!!!
trickers stow boots
grenson sharp boots

devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

fpQHJ.jpg

6YHm2.jpg

33RGt.jpg

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a sale thread right?
I'll take all three in the first pic
devil.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you comparing shoes that you admit fit differently internally?

Stupid thread.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Disagree. I think this could be useful. If you have some CPs and want PS Ricards, for instance, maybe you could just come here and find an example of the relative fit rather than adding another post to the 1,000,000+ in other threads that go, "I'm a X in [brand], so if I wanted [other brand], what size should I get?"

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
^Disagree. I think this could be useful. If you have some CPs and want PS Ricards, for instance, maybe you could just come here and find an example of the relative fit rather than adding another post to the 1,000,000+ in other threads that go, "I'm a X in [brand], so if I wanted [other brand], what size should I get?"
This threak isn't about shoe sizing, it's about exterior dimensions of shoes (without feet in them, which will undoubtedly change the shape of the shoe) Agreed on this threak being ridiculous

kwoyeu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by melonadejello
This is a sale thread right?
I'll take all three in the first pic
devil.gif

lol most have been sold and the cp40 is too beat-up to be saleable now
frown.gif

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Why are you comparing shoes that you admit fit differently internally?

Stupid thread.

not sure what you're trying to say but maybe my replies below will help.

Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck

Agreed. Of course external dimensions don't automatically translate into internal ones, but they are fallible indicators nonetheless. Anyone who's looked at the mmm41 vs. cp40 pic, or the cp40 vs. santoni 41pic will know that they need to size down on cps and that they need to proceed w/ caution re: santoni boots.

Plus, there are people for whom external dimensions, esp. length, matter *more* than internal ones - shoes can be broken in internally, worn w/ insoles and socks of varying thickness to enhance comfort, but they can't be lengthened or shortened or have their overall clunkiness reduced. For people who care about external dimensions more than internal ones (within limits of course) they will use these pictures simply as a guide to external dimensions (which they quite accurately represent).

Originally Posted by KitAkira
This threak isn't about shoe sizing, it's about exterior dimensions of shoes (without feet in them, which will undoubtedly change the shape of the shoe)

Agreed on this threak being ridiculous

Yes, but it won't change the length. I understand if you simply don't care about shoe length, but there are people who do.

Also disagreed re: "This threak isn't about shoe sizing". It's partially about (internal) shoe sizing insofar as there's a reliable correlation between external dimensions and internal dimensions (a correlation you yourself rely on when handling untagged shoes at sample sales without bothering to try on, for example). Also the meaning of shoe sizes has to do with internal lengths (see the chart below). This reinforces the idea that external lengths, insofar as they reliably indicate internal lengths, can in turn reliably indicate internal fit.

999px-Shoesize-adult-en.svg.png

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me put this on some simple level so you understand. What do you expect readers to do with your great info of "yes indeedy, the CP is 3mm longer than the MMM, oh by the way they are different sizes, one is too big and one is too tight, so now you know what the **** is up homies"

kwoyeu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Let me put this on some simple level so you understand. What do you expect readers to do with your great info of "yes indeedy, the CP is 3mm longer than the MMM, oh by the way they are different sizes, one is too big and one is too tight, so now you know what the **** is up homies"

you're using the wrong example. the cp and the mmm in my initial pics do not significantly differ in length or (physical) size, and yet they are of different tagged sizes (one is an 40 and the other 41). that's the point of putting them side by side: to suggest that despite their different tagged sizes they fit similarly. In other words, you size down one from your mmm gat size to get your cp size. bits of information like this can be learned via searching or asking, but this thread is just an attempt (partly) to gather them all in one place in some intuitive format (and to compare familiar brands w/ unfamilair brands).what's so hard to understand?

kwoyeu

Reaction score
similarly, take the pic w/ the cp40 and santoni41. Everyone knows that cp40 translates to us8, and that in general an italian size 41 translates also to us8, so one would assume that the cp40 and an santoni 41 would fit similarly - until one sees the picture, that is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads