• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official VirusMas 2020 Thrift/Care Package Exchange Thread

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So thanks again for @txwoodworker doing this actually twice, its really appreciated! Lets get to it.

Box came packed tighter than (fill in your own TWSS)

View attachment 1397372

I mean the guy legit let me thrift a whole roll of packing supplies (thanks!)

View attachment 1397373

First thing I see is a pair of white orb type things....hmmmm

View attachment 1397374

some kind of pottery, with an unusual kind of drawing inside. Ancient testicular cooling pots?

View attachment 1397375

More bubble wrap and then WHOA! An expertly carved wood box with my logo on it. The wood (what kind is it?) is super dense and heavy and the craftsmanship is top tier. Like a bespoke suit. Whats in the box?

View attachment 1397376 View attachment 1397377

Some Texas Sotol! I have no idea what that is but I am going to find out, love trying new and unusual spirits - this one I have never even heard of before, so super curious to see what it is.

View attachment 1397378 View attachment 1397379

Not sure what Im going to use the box for after the booze is gone, its a slide off coffin of sorts, I have a thing for boxes and trunks of all sizes so its certainly going to be used and displayed. Thank you SO much!

There is a card in there with a quick explanation; The idea was to get the person who has everything, something he can't get (outside of Texas). The box is made from Texas mesquite from a local band saw mill. Side note on that, I went to the mill and the guy who was just leaving had left a bottle of Tito's on the counter. I made a joke about serving shots with my lumber purchase, and the lumber mill guy the man that just left owns the company that made this vodka. So the guy ahead of me in line was local billionaire Tito Beveridge.
I appreciate the props on the craftsmanship, I've been out of the actual making stuff business for more than 10 years, so I was rusty, and missed having a fully equipped shop to lean on. Though, as we all know, that was the second box. I worked out all the kinks with the first one, so this one was even better. There's always a silver lining.
The Sotol was distilled just a few miles from my house, and as @drlivingston said- it's not so smooth as a shot (try the sipping cups that came with) but makes amazing margaritas, really like you've never had before. Even with that distillery only being a few miles from my house, I passed 3 other distilleries, at least one brewery and 2 vineyards on the way, it's a thing out here, and keeping with the theme- they don't ship their stuff, so the only way to get it is to go to them.

Glad you like it, and maybe when we can all travel again, I'll come up there with my favorite margarita mix and raise a glass to all the great people that inhabit this thread!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Okay lads, confession time.
I am the Corona Santa for:

@California Dreamer

The conundrum is, Australia isn't accepting flights from Japan. so no EMS air mail.
His box is going on a voyage. it has been sent on the slowest post possible. "Cargo ship".
I can not track it, or be sure it arrives. all i know is, estimated delivery is 3 months,if he doesn't get it? 3 months back. then i might be able to air mail it.

Hopefully there is a miracle, and he gets it within a month. sorry dude. your box is on it's way.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay lads, confession time.
I am the Corona Santa for:

@California Dreamer

The conundrum is, Australia isn't accepting flights from Japan. so no EMS air mail.
His box is going on a voyage. it has been sent on the slowest post possible. "Cargo ship".
I can not track it, or be sure it arrives. all i know is, estimated delivery is 3 months,if he doesn't get it? 3 months back. then i might be able to air mail it.

Hopefully there is a miracle, and he gets it within a month. sorry dude. your box is on it's way.
No problem at all Vader; these things happen.

I've had the same problem in reverse. My express parcel took three weeks to clear Melbourne. Fortunately it has now arrived in NY, but it still has a long way to go before it reaches its destination. (I'm pretty sure he knows it's coming from me).

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
How will I know when I need to pick it up?

it should arrive by Australia Post. I ticked the box to wait 14 days before return to sender. there was no "just leave it" option, hopefully someone will most likely be home. or, you can call/go to your local post office, and let them know it's coming, and leave your number with them.

you will know when you see it. there is a card taped to the top.;)

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No problem at all Vader; these things happen.

I've had the same problem in reverse. My express parcel took three weeks to clear Melbourne. Fortunately it has now arrived in NY, but it still has a long way to go before it reaches its destination. (I'm pretty sure he knows it's coming from me).
Nah. New York is usually only a 1-2 day delivery time to PA.

Although I’ve been waiting 21 days for a set of guitar strings I ordered from 1 state over. So who knows.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it should arrive by Australia Post. I ticked the box to wait 14 days before return to sender. there was no "just leave it" option, hopefully someone will most likely be home. or, you can call/go to your local post office, and let them know it's coming, and leave your number with them.

you will know when you see it. there is a card taped to the top.;)
AP tends to be just leaving stuff at the door these days anyway, to minimise contact. We're both retired and normally home, so it shouldn't be a problem.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well it's in LA now. :brick:
Looking more closely at the tracking, the NY scan was either a glitch or a new intercontinental air speed record was just set. 1 Minute coast to coast, not bad!

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 7.21.00 AM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads