The Official VINTAGE T SHIRT KNOWLEDGE THREAD.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by PLaydice, Jun 15, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

So I killed some time staring at old cotton today:

[​IMG]
    L-R: Old Hanes Beefy T, I guess a softball team or ? and then I really liked the rainbow gradient on the Laguna S&S shirt (noob bait lol).

[​IMG]
    Clockwise from top left: Blank teal pocket Fruitloom, Screen Stars 50-50 (pop!), and then a long sleeve camp shirt, and the saddest fucking City booster shirt I've seen so far.

2. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Those are all solid grabs. The ''SAVE RIO VISTA" shirt is sad, but in a good way lol Its a conversation worthy shirt.
    Keep going guys, and Heres a tip, I don't look at the front of a shirt on a rack, I mostly eye the neck tags until one is missing, vintage or polo then I eye the front. The object is to view as many shirts as you can, its def a numbers game.

Do any of you guys have clothing resale shops? (Buffalo exchange, Plato's closet etc)
    Heres the trick, Buy real low, Stick a bunch on the net, The ones that don't move quick enough or you don't feel like listing, bring to the store to convert to whatever you desire. Personally I turn shit can shirts into a AVERAGE amount of 200$ 300 credit at these places when I bring a rucksack in. Thats A LOT at these places I paid 30$ for POLO BALL at buffalo exchange, thats one of the most desirable polo satin jackets worth up to 600$ at one point. I paid 100 for 2 pairs of NIB Cartiers financed with shirts out the trash. This is a hustle my friend, this is one tool to keep yourself from becoming a king of the empire of shirts in your room and thin the pile. Don't be afraid to be like the kid who comes home with his fund raiser candy and show friends and relatives. Your homie might appreciate that funky ass shirt and pay you, or just give him the damn thing and he owes you a favor. I got a homie who works at a liquor store, Guess who doesn't have to spend money on nice scotch??? :nodding:
    the way the US dollar is heading Ill prob be paying for food everywhere I go with a backpack full of shirts soon lol thats how heavy I trade in these things. I got more game for you guys, but i can't give it all at once or you might not soak it up.

3. double00

double00 Senior member

Still developing flavor. i think this will be my last dump and then i'll limit my finds to the sensational:

[​IMG]
    Is this the FILA I'm looking for?
    [​IMG]
    the ringer is like new, drawing dated 76. not sure if it's better to be deadstock or heavily used...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is this the necrodome yer looking for? probably convention swag i guess...

4. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

A couple recent grabs

The Undertaker tee from 93

[​IMG]

Grateful Dead 94 Summer Tour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trio of tees (FJM is definitely not vintage), Kill Em All is dated 1986, The Kraftwerk shirt seems 90's to me because it has their website url on the front of the shirt (smh).

[​IMG]
    Flaming Lips Musical Insects shirt dated 1994

[​IMG]

Garfield Fort Lauderdale, FL tee from 1978

[​IMG]

Nirvana reprint from 1996

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

5. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

Realized I forgot to post e-thrift #2 I mentioned in my last post.

Early Nike:
    [​IMG]

6. double00

double00 Senior member

quick update:

one of my cotton blend shirts was pretty badly stained with yellowing around the collar, the hems, and the upper back. i wasn't sure how it would clean up but i hand washed with ivory (my go-to - i have reasonably soft water where i am). i spot added this fels-naptha stuff (similar to borax i guess, i think it's a soap booster) and it took care of much of the yellowing. there's a little left, it's not perfect but it is clean and should display reasonably when i list.

anyways, i think hand washing is probably the way to go with much of this material. my own philosophy with vintage is to do the least possible to achieve the point at which i personally would wear something. usually just enough to keep it hygienic but i don't like to undo any precious mojo. my 2 cents.

7. JFST

JFST Senior member

How old/valuable is this adidas t shirt made in the USA?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

^^^^ I have a vintage version of that shirt. The logo is all sparkly. I will have to dig that out....

Here's something from the vaults. My parents went to Southern California in the mid 80s and brought me back this shirt from Del Mar Skateboard Ranch. It is so thin that you can practically see through it, but I love it. Mom also got a photo with Mike McGill from the Bones Brigade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have this polo shirt from Boast, which was a preppy type brand in the late 70's. It has been resurrected recently and seems to be capitalizing on the similarity of the Japanese maple leaf logo to a pot leaf.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

AH, man I live In San Diego, You flashing that shirt is making me want it hahahaha.

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Shirts around here somewhere, but here's me wearing it 20 years ago. I was obviously having a good time, lol.
    [​IMG]

11. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Not going to make the same mistake twice. Inauguration T Shirts? Jesse Ventura from 1999 in MN.

Another seller has one listed for $149. Not sure it will go for that much but will not list this one for 24.99. [​IMG] The buyer of the Sega shirt left glowing feedback. Hah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

Nice! Yeah that Saturn shirt was a steal. Its cool, you made some bucks and dude got a deal. the lesson was valuable too. Folks seem to be picking up a lot. Im here watching everything and planning some more tip's for you guys. I wanted to give everyone a chance to contribute, so its not just a wall of me in here. In the mean time, my new photo tumblr is up, link in sig. Ill be flooding that with some neat photos soon. [​IMG] Last shirt i picked up.

13. JFST

JFST Senior member

Following

14. double00

double00 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    good property. promo, 92.

btw - i should have found this 1 or 2 months ago, when people wanted this shit to wear in line to the new flick. we'll see how it does, these were getting 40 easy up to 90 but i dunno now... it is like water...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

15. PLaydice

PLaydice Senior member

You might have missed the Jurassic world wave BUT their is residual heat around Jurassic park so you should be able to Ask 50$ or so and see what sort of offers you get homie